Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly off topic but we went to Cedar Point last Sunday for their Halloween stuff. I just wanted to comment on how they are doing some things compared to Disney. Masking and social distancing remains the same at both parks (we did Disney over Labor Day weekend/week). Cedar point does get an edge on their social distancing on exiting rides since Disney doesn’t do that. But most protocols and cleaning are the same. Crowds have also greatly increased at CP - max capacity the day before we went but even our poorish weather day was much much more crowded than earlier summer. Ride lines very long. Coasters that didn’t have return times were 120 min wait. That being said that isn’t much different than a normal day there. Instead of an online virtual queue like studios you go to the coaster you want to ride at open and at 4:30 and get a return time ticket (wait in line for this as park opens roughly 45 min early). You return with hopefully a shorter line. On Saturday the line was still over an hour by reports. For us only 20 min for the newest - Steel Vengeance. We didn’t get to ride much. My kid rode 5 small rides and we rode one major coaster but we only were there 5 hours of park opening time so not bad. They decked out the whole park with decorations. It was beautiful. They had kid activities - trick or treat and mazes and crafts. They had characters in the park - similar to citizens of Hollywood and also peanuts characters who were in a distanced meet and greet. They had a number of small shows around the park. They did not do any scare zones or haunted houses. They had a decent number of employees working (actually better than earlier in the summer when many rides were closed). They had a lot of food areas closed but most major ones were open. We didn’t have to wait long to order and receive fresh food. Employees were very friendly. They did not seem to have hired any foreign employees like they normally have over the summer (for obvious reasons). Honestly I felt like they did a similar job to Disney and are also having significant increase in crowds. I feel like both CP and Disney should be able to increase ride capacity if they get kick you out of the park strict on rides with mask removal. If they start doing this word of mouth would keep compliance pretty high. Now I doubt they would actually do it but honestly I think they should. It is known that if you line jump at CP they can and will kick you out if they catch you so I don’t think it would be hard for mask compliance issues if they wanted to do it.

It would if each ride was open to capacity. Hence the problem. I LOVE dis as much as anybody, but they need to keep those of us spending big bucks to risk a trip happy. Put 5 more CMs at each ride, open each side. Cater to those willing to supporr you in tough times. Good business.
But you do know why the attractions are not operating at full capacity? That's the whole point, again not sure how me being a local would change how fp operates

I was so naïve in thinking that nothing could ever change Disney. To me, the most "life changing" moment in my young life (30 years) was 9/11, and even that couldn't end Disney. So I had this idea in my head that they'll always bounce back. Glad I got the 5 trips I did and got to show my daughter the magic before it ended.
This is a bit melodramatic. The magic isn’t gone forever, it’s just temporary. Eventually the fireworks, parades and characters will come back. It won’t look exactly the same as it did pre-COVID, but change is inevitable.

Slightly off topic but we went to Cedar Point last Sunday for their Halloween stuff. I just wanted to comment on how they are doing some things compared to Disney. Masking and social distancing remains the same at both parks (we did Disney over Labor Day weekend/week). Cedar point does get an edge on their social distancing on exiting rides since Disney doesn’t do that. But most protocols and cleaning are the same. Crowds have also greatly increased at CP - max capacity the day before we went but even our poorish weather day was much much more crowded than earlier summer. Ride lines very long. Coasters that didn’t have return times were 120 min wait. That being said that isn’t much different than a normal day there. Instead of an online virtual queue like studios you go to the coaster you want to ride at open and at 4:30 and get a return time ticket (wait in line for this as park opens roughly 45 min early). You return with hopefully a shorter line. On Saturday the line was still over an hour by reports. For us only 20 min for the newest - Steel Vengeance. We didn’t get to ride much. My kid rode 5 small rides and we rode one major coaster but we only were there 5 hours of park opening time so not bad. They decked out the whole park with decorations. It was beautiful. They had kid activities - trick or treat and mazes and crafts. They had characters in the park - similar to citizens of Hollywood and also peanuts characters who were in a distanced meet and greet. They had a number of small shows around the park. They did not do any scare zones or haunted houses. They had a decent number of employees working (actually better than earlier in the summer when many rides were closed). They had a lot of food areas closed but most major ones were open. We didn’t have to wait long to order and receive fresh food. Employees were very friendly. They did not seem to have hired any foreign employees like they normally have over the summer (for obvious reasons). Honestly I felt like they did a similar job to Disney and are also having significant increase in crowds. I feel like both CP and Disney should be able to increase ride capacity if they get kick you out of the park strict on rides with mask removal. If they start doing this word of mouth would keep compliance pretty high. Now I doubt they would actually do it but honestly I think they should. It is known that if you line jump at CP they can and will kick you out if they catch you so I don’t think it would be hard for mask compliance issues if they wanted to do it.
Was so hoping I could make it to CP for their Halloween activities, I had a great time there earlier in the summer (3 rides on SV in one day was awesome!). Glad you enjoyed it! I agree that they seemed right on par with Disney as far as guidelines. I also did Hersheypark this summer, can't say the same there. I am pretty relaxed when it comes to things, so I was never uncomfortable, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that would have been. Mask compliance probably around 50% with minimal enforcement. Still had a great time though.

Was so hoping I could make it to CP for their Halloween activities, I had a great time there earlier in the summer (3 rides on SV in one day was awesome!). Glad you enjoyed it! I agree that they seemed right on par with Disney as far as guidelines. I also did Hersheypark this summer, can't say the same there. I am pretty relaxed when it comes to things, so I was never uncomfortable, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that would have been. Mask compliance probably around 50% with minimal enforcement. Still had a great time though.

I easily feel like crap after riding most coasters so I braved SV with my kid this time (she rode it opening day before the accident it’s first year and hasn’t gotten to ride since).Anyway I loved it. I didn’t feel sick at all for the first time ever on a big coaster (Everest and RnR both make me feel icky). I felt like I was flying. Mean streak used to be so painful. I was really interested in the similarities to Disney. I was proud of my home park

It would if each ride was open to capacity. Hence the problem. I LOVE dis as much as anybody, but they need to keep those of us spending big bucks to risk a trip happy. Put 5 more CMs at each ride, open each side. Cater to those willing to supporr you in tough times. Good business.
Sure except that once we got to the end of August, attendance ticked up and they seemed to be operating at or near park capacity a good chunk of the time so there is no incentive to add more to attract more people. They are running a balance sheet where they are trying to determine the minimal amount they can offer (cost to them) while still having enough people to come close to their capacity limits and they are not going to spend a dollar more than that. This will likely get them through the holidays at least. I think come January is when we will likely see some big discounts but I’d also guess those discounts will run alongside even more minimal offerings. They are trying to operate as leanly as they can during these months when their ability to make revenue is limited by capacity caps.

And they know that when they finally announce that the restrictions are lifted because they are no longer needed, they will likely have a long line of people ready to run through the gates. I know from talking to friends and family that the number one thing they want to do when this is all over is take as many vacations as possible, costs be damned.

But you do know why the attractions are not operating at full capacity? That's the whole point, again not sure how me being a local would change how fp operates
And you know what i mean when open to capacity. Really, when you think about it it spreads people out further. Left side for Fp's, right side for standby, plexy in between. And the part about you being a local is you go so often, your park habits are different. Surely you do know that? I envy your ability to be there all the time, and your knowledge, but we dont all tour that way

We got caught by surprise with this. We weren’t staying there but had dinner reservations at Il Mulino after our DHS day. After a long, hot day in the sun we thought it would make sense to grab the bus over there as the Friendship boats aren’t running. Big Mistake.

There was no signage for a Swan/Dolphin bus directing you to a bus slot. We finally found the one and only CM (that we saw anyway) working the bus area, and even he wasn’t sure where we should wait. He thought it was the charter area so we headed that way. Fortunately we found some other guests waiting on a different charter who had seen one for Swan/ Dolphin earlier. We waited 45 minutes for the bus, only to have it drive right by the Swan, go to Epcot (no one there there be picked up) and then finally back to the Swan.

The whole time we were waiting we kept debating amongst ourselves whether we should give up and walk or surely a bus will be here soon.

Shoulda walked.

I think you were looking for a bus that just doesn’t exist. Even before the change from Disney buses to Mears buses, there wasn’t a bus that ran between DHS and the Swan and Dolphin. Transportation to that resort is by walking or Skyliner to Epcot International Gateway then walking or, Friendship boats when they run. Buses do not run between the Boardwalk resorts (including S&D) at any time.

And you know what i mean when open to capacity. Really, when you think about it it spreads people out further. Left side for Fp's, right side for standby, plexy in between. And the part about you being a local is you go so often, your park habits are different. Surely you do know that? I envy your ability to be there all the time, and your knowledge, but we dont all tour that way
I guess i was just confused as to why my touring habits had anything to do with FP since you lumped it together in your post. I know people tour differently depending on their situation. Anyways i see park hopping to come back before fp does

I wonder if Disney would get more people on non-APs back if they could get 3 FPs included in their daily ticket price (as before) - like paid fastpass on the daily ticket buyers only b/c it is so much more per day for them vs what the local APs are paying...and as we said, VERY little incentive for those folks to come and pay full price, so Disney will be operating very packed and yet very full of locals until they can turn something else around...

This is only a half-serious suggestion, but I bet it would spur out-of-state attendance...of course, it's probably also against the current AP terms:)...

I guess i was just confused as to why my touring habits had anything to do with FP since you lumped it together in your post. I know people tour differently depending on their situation. Anyways i see park hopping to come back before fp does
I like them both, but FP would serve me and my minnie better. Park hopping doesnt matter to us if no shows and no fireworks. We can arrange ADR's accordingly. We always ended up at Epcot every night, but really no reason now.

This thread kind of mimics real life, it’s a very dark place right now.

Like many people, I am stashing money aside each month for my next Disney vacation.

Here’s the blunt truth, I’m not returning to Disney World if it’s just for the attractions. Disney knows there are people like me that won’t be coming for an inferior product. Yes their IP is top-notch, but I’m not dropping 5K-12k for my next stay because of Mickey if I can’t give him a blasted high-five.

It’s mostly doom and gloom and for good reason. Disney revenue is hurting and people lost so many jobs. We are in a pandemic, but this will all pass just like the Spanish Flu and the fall out from 9/11.

That being said, things will normalize because if they don’t many people will take their travel dollars somewhere else. This is where competition is a healthy win for consumers.

I think you were looking for a bus that just doesn’t exist. Even before the change from Disney buses to Mears buses, there wasn’t a bus that ran between DHS and the Swan and Dolphin. Transportation to that resort is by walking or Skyliner to Epcot International Gateway then walking or, Friendship boats when they run. Buses do not run between the Boardwalk resorts (including S&D) at any time.
We stayed at Swan in August and because the boats aren’t running they did have a Mears bus running from Swan to HS, Epcot, then back to Swan on a loop. It picked up/dropped off near the charter buses at HS - and was not labeled - which caused confusion but there definitely was a bus because we were on it a couple times.

Well, I'll put it this way. There is not a post I have added to this thread since the beginning that I can look back and wish I hadn't.

ETA: Even all the ones that rteetz deleted.
Me neither and I will leave it up to othrrs whether i am deemed a pessimist, realist or dreamer. If i would label myself, it would be a beer drinker. :thumbsup2

This thread kind of mimics real life, it’s a very dark place right now.

Like many people, I am stashing money aside each month for my next Disney vacation.

Here’s the blunt truth, I’m not returning to Disney World if it’s just for the attractions. Disney knows there are people like me that won’t be coming for an inferior product. Yes their IP is top-notch, but I’m not dropping 5K-12k for my next stay because of Mickey if I can’t give him a blasted high-five.

It’s mostly doom and gloom and for good reason. Disney revenue is hurting and people lost so many jobs. We are in a pandemic, but this will all pass just like the Spanish Flu and the fall out from 9/11.

That being said, things will normalize because if they don’t many people will take their travel dollars somewhere else. This is where competition is a healthy win for consumers.

I’m with you on this. I’m holding out hope that eventually we will be able to hug Mickey again. But it just doesn’t feel like it will be anytime soon and that makes me sad. The extras are what make Disney Disney. I know things will change and I’m generally okay and understanding but the talk today is depressing.

Disney was such a special place for me and my family growing up, taking trips about every other year. Something I wanted to do with my daughter who is now almost 2. We had planned a trip for January right after her birthday which we’ve already pushed back to the summer in hopes a few more things have returned.

If things like characters and parades don’t end up returning, we will still go but the frequency of our trips won’t be as often as we initially thought. We can go a lot of places for less than a week at Disney and if it’s just an amusement park with some rides, I can drive 2 hrs to either Cedar Point or Kings Island and come home for a heck of a lot less. Everyone says things will come back eventually, but if they get enough people to come without parades and character dining, will they really add those things back?

I’m not really sure what your argument is here. FP would only create more issues with lines right now.
Agree with this. The argument isn’t that they can’t have FP lines and standby lines together, based on your plexiglass comment, it’s that if they added FP back, the standby lines would grow to exorbitant levels. Those 60 minute waits with lines wrapped 2 lands down would be 120 minutes and wrap around the park. For every standby guest that gets through the choke point in a line, 5-7 FP guests get through. The standby lines during FP times were extremely rough, and they’re not going to go back to that while social distancing is needed. There just isn’t enough space in the parks to have all of those standby lines snaking around, there would be no room to walk.

I understand the frustration. As a local, I would tour mainly with FP only. We would go for a couple nights, get FPs for the rides we really wanted. Maybe do a standby or 2 but that was it. I’m not used to standing in these lines at all, but we do what we have to do. Disney was wanting to move away from FP+ prior to COVID, this is just allowing them to speed up the timeline.

I like them both, but FP would serve me and my minnie better. Park hopping doesnt matter to us if no shows and no fireworks. We can arrange ADR's accordingly. We always ended up at Epcot every night, but really no reason now.

They make more money when they can offer hoppers again. FP will only come back first if it’s an upcharge, but even still don’t think we’ll see FP anytime soon for logistical reasons discussed at length here.

Our family would much prefer hopping flexibility as a priority over booking FP.

They make more money when they can offer hoppers again. FP will only come back first if it’s an upcharge, but even still don’t think we’ll see FP anytime soon for logistical reasons discussed at length here.

Our family would prefer hopping flexibility as a priority over booking FP.
Yeah the lack of hopping is really a downer. We’re at BLT right now. Today was a MK day. Closed at 6 (we were done much earlier) but would have loved to head over to Epcot this evening for a stroll. Instead we’re wandering around the Contemporary grounds with a bunch of other people, and mask compliance is not as great at the resorts. We noticed this 3 weeks ago at OKW and it holds up here too. People think they can get away walking on the path from Contemporary to MK or just around the grounds with their mask around their chin because there are no CM around.

The worst is the elevators though. We’re on the 11th floor. Had to do 2 trips from the car at check in and on second trip I was waiting for the elevator. A man in front of me got in the first that came (I didn’t want to get in with him). I pushed the button for another, a woman came up behind me waiting impatiently. When the elevator arrived she rushed behind me to get in with me. I stepped back and said you can go ahead and she had to make a comment that the sign says up to 4 individuals (which is true, but it says that after it says 1 party per elevator OR). I don’t feel comfortable being in a 5x5 box for 11 floors with a stranger. I didn’t confront, just stepped back and let her go and that’s how she responds? I just worry now once I’m in the elevator and heading up or down if it’ll stop at another floor and someone will try to get in. I’ll probably just hop out and cede the elevator to them.

But, MK was great today. Very sparse crowds. Low wait times. Some great pics of the castle and cavalcades. Main Street was a ghost town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter