Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chlorine actually kills the virus scientists say, so I would not worry about it being in the pool.
To say the least. I dont know a lot about virology but I know something about chlorine and something about the amount of chlorine typically required in outdoor pools in the United States (a LOT), and there’s no hope for any virus in that concentration of free chlorine.

Still, it’s not instant, and you shouldn’t like lick the other swimmers or drink the pool water.

Last edited:
Serious question. Not being critical - everyone has their right to their own opinion and comfort level during this.

Do you feel you will catch the virus if an infected person bumps into you briefly? In a pool? Outside? I'm not rushing into a crowded indoor pool anytime soon, but I feel outside pools are relatively safe.

From what I've heard (and know of viruses) ...the opposite seems to be true: prolonged contact (10+ minues) near an infected person, usually indoors, where you are sharing the same "breathing" space. That's why I am surprised that Disney actually opened a lot of its theater attractions (like Philharmagic). Even distanced .. you have a lot of people sharing the same recirculated air space and I am sure a lot of people take that break in the darkness to pull the mask off (I know I would if I needed a breath of fresh air).

Being inside A/C is one of the theories why Florida/Texas/Arizaon/California saw these massive spikes in July. It's hot .. more people congregate inside A/C spaces and thus more cases.

My point is .. complete 6 foot social distancing in a public place (even with capacity restrictions) is practically impossible. .. I wouldn't fret about the occasional bump -- or walking past someone who isn't wearing a mask. We need to be careful, but not afraid that the virus is lurking around every corner.

Without a vaccine (and who knows when will ever show up and be readily available) .. we need to get comfortable again having close interactions with people (with and without masks, with and without social distancing) ... on vacations, at work, at stores, at schools, to be able to get those industries back to "normal" (or closer to it).
I don't know if y'all remember me. I am a healthcare provider who for eight weeks was required to work covid ICU (even though I am in cardiology - not a usual hospitalist or pulmonologist, but had to become one) and am a big BIG advocate of masking and social distancing. I am NOT an advocate of overreacting, and have been extremely annoyed by anyone politicizing this issue on either side. My family and I have been at higher risk from covid from the start by virtue of my job and I have been very annoyed by people sitting in the comfort of home judging me for my choices, including driving to Florida theme parks for a much deserved vacation. I have been VERY impressed by Universal and Disney and fully support their being open. The risk of contracting covid outside from a child (or anyone) briefly brushing by you in a pool is low. But I also agree with being honest about what someone should expect when they are out and about at the theme parks and hotels.
Anyway, just spent a great week in Florida and continue to tell people that I am safer at Universal or Disney than working in the hospital clinic. By far. My husband and I are heading back in 3 weeks because this is one of the few places on earth I feel like I can enjoy myself AND feel comfortable.

Last edited:
I don't know if y'all remember me. I am a healthcare provider who for eight weeks was required to work covid ICU (even though I am in cardiology - not a hospitalist or pulmonologist) and am a big BIG advocate of masking and social distancing. I am NOT an advocate of overreacting, and have been extremely annoyed by anyone politicizing this issue on either side. My family and I have been at higher risk from covid from the start by virtue of my job and I have been very annoyed by people sitting in the comfort of home judging me for my choices, including driving to Florida theme parks for a much deserved vacation. I have been VERY impressed by Universal and Disney and fully support their being open. The risk of contracting covid outside from a child (or anyone) briefly brushing by you in a pool is low. But I also agree with being honest about what someone should expect when they are out and about at the theme parks and hotels.
Anyway, just spent a great week in Florida and continue to tell people that I am safer at Universal or Disney than working in the hospital clinic. By far. My husband and I are heading back in 3 weeks because this is one of the few places on earth I feel like I can enjoy myself AND feel comfortable.

PREACH!

Still, it’s not instant, and you shouldn’t like lick the other swimmers or drink the pool water.

Why do you have to suck the fun right out of everything?!
tenor.gif

As per WDW Know Before You Go Page: (Won't let me link since I'm still a noob)

All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must:
  • Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material
  • Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free

One thing I've been noticing increasing in the last few weeks is the number of people twisting the ear loops on masks (which creates big gaps in the sides and basically negates the point of a mask). Example: https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/how-wear-disposable-face-mask-right-way-and-make-it-fit-better I stopped in guest services in MK one day on the way out and made a comment about this, and they seemed receptive. Here's hoping loop twisting becomes banned. I've seen some workers twisting the loops too, which is concerning.

To say the least. I dont know a lot about virology but I know something about chlorine and something about the amount of chlorine typically required in outdoor pools in the United States (a LOT), and there’s no hope for any virus in that concentration of free chlorine.

What if I’m thirsty and my water bottle is all the way by my chair...am I supposed to get out of the pool, walk all the way to my chair and get the water when there’s an endless drinking supply right below me?

What if I’m thirsty and my water bottle is all the way by my chair...am I supposed to get out of the pool, walk all the way to my chair and get the water when there’s an endless drinking supply right below me?

excellent point

Would this be true of a salt water pool like the quiet pool at the Poly?

Would this be true of a salt water pool like the quiet pool at the Poly?
Don’t want to take this too far off topic discussing pools, but a salt water pool still has chlorine. It’s not a pool filled with salty water, like swimming in the ocean. It’s a filtration system that uses salt to produce its own chlorine, rather than having to add chlorine either in tablet or liquid form. The owner/operator only has to add salt to the pool and the generator turns the salt into chlorine.
So you’re not swimming in the ocean, you’re still swimming in a chlorinated pool. The chlorine is just created in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter