Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation: Some of the posters on this thread seem to believe that executives never change their minds. A good executive is constantly re-evaluating their positions and doing what makes the most sense based on the available data.

The insiders on the other boards said Sept/Oct timeline for implementing whatever they decide.
This makes some sense as it would give guests some time to re-arrange schedules. Plus, there was that rumor a couple of weeks ago that Disney was planning on closing some of the parks after Labor Day. At the time, most ignored it, but Sept. timeline would align with that earlier one too.

Just an observation: Some of the posters on this thread seem to believe that executives never change their minds. A good executive is constantly re-evaluating their positions and doing what makes the most sense based on the available data.

Guessing this one was aimed at me.

No doubt, but a good executive also has to be mindful of the brand, and more importantly it's shareholders. I get it, they may be in survival mode and they need to do what needs to be done to save the company, we all want that.

I just hope the executives built the right system a couple of months ago and we can avoid further closures.

Our plan right now is AK wed HS thurs and Epcot fri, and HS Saturday as a backup if we don't get on Rise on Thurs :(

guess we'll see.

I think Fri-Sun is safe from any closures. Even though theyre not hitting capacity at the non DHS parks, those are the days with the highest attendance. Wednesday at AK is the only potential “iffy” one. But these rumors could all be BS and the parks might not close any days. I would just prepare for the possibility of Mon-Thur for EPCOT/AK possibly not being open

we are getting that encouragement too - though they have updated the carry over policy just knowing people aren't able to take vacation days like normal. Normally we are able to carry over 5 days and they have to be used within the first quarter of that next year - but now we can carry over up to 10 days and have the full next year to use them

We’ve always been able to carry over up to 10 days, but depending on which department or working group you are in.. it it can be more difficult for some departments to accommodate a carry over. Now it is sounding like the number of requests being received is going to mean more difficulty across the board for approval. 🙁

I think the only thing that will help is getting FL off the "hot spot" list.

Right now many people just can't or won't travel to FL.

So their pool of customers is limited to locals. And the only way to get more of them is to drastically reduce resort rates. But even that may not be enough. I don't know why they haven't tried that yet, though.
I don't understand why they don't open up the AP bucket more. I would be there spending money using a spot that they can't seem to fill.

I don't understand why they don't open up the AP bucket more. I would be there spending money using a spot that they can't seem to fill.

I get the ultimately goal of having as many of the spots available be taken by someone paying new money to secure one .... but once you get to day of I woudl think they could open it up to AP holders - especially for like EPCOT which seems really light and where I would think passholders would spend $ on food, etc.

I think the issue is there aren’t really any crowds to spread. And for many guests the appeal of the parties is mainly the lighter crowds. With so few guests and such short queues during daytime operating hours, there is less reason for those guests to pay out any extra for a party ticket - they can do everything they want during the day. At this point I doubt the revenue from the parties would be enough to cover the money they would pay out in staffing for all those cast members for an additional 4-6 hour shift plus whatever expense that comes from the additional entertainment, treats and decor at the parties.
Yeah sorry by crowds spread out I mean events that are safe to put on in the current climate; events that can keep guests safe. I understand there’s no need to dwindle down current crowds any further right now but as someone with three park days coming up, if they added a nighttime event I would jump on it.

No doubt they would be doing it if made sense economically. By not doing it proves it doesn’t make sense right now.

Last edited:
We know and Disney knows that Q2 is bad!! The parks were open for a total of 0 days in the 2nd quarter. Disney needs to keep things how they are for a while to get people comfortable with coming back. If they close AK or Epcot that just forces those people to go to MK or DHS which will then be more crowded and cause fear for people. People have trips planned based on what is going on NOW at the parks. Start taking more things away and more will cancel. Disney just needs to hold tight and push through. Give it more than 3 weeks for goodness sakes!

I work for a Regional government with thousands of employees. Almost weekly now we are receiving management emails encouraging us to use our vacation allotment for this year, that carry overs into 2021 will not be approved without a valid reason. Which would suggest people not vacationing.
I am looking forward to the return to some kind of normalcy. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I've been told to use mine up sooner rather than later. Nothing will carry over and requests for very late in the year will probably not be approved because too many people will be trying for then, as everyone has been putting vacations off. I haven't used any of mine yet (was supposed to use a week in March for Disney), so I have three weeks to use up in five months.

I think we'll be canceling our August WDW trip soon, but I'll still keep the time off work. I have another 2 weeks at WDW booked for early October, we'll see how that goes. Fourth time's the charm?

Maybe the quarantines are preventing domestic visitors from coming in larger numbers, and I can’t speak for other international guests but Canadians (as a whole) don’t even want the borders to open anytime soon. Polling showed I believe 80% want it closed until the end of the year. I don’t agree that there are tons people basically just waiting for permission to come.

On my work social virtual drinking session last week with my immediate team of 10, someone asked if anyone had plans to go anywhere. Nope, not one person had plans to go anywhere right now even in our own country (UK).

Ha, in our department Zoom meetings we also talk about where we’ve ventured out into the world and it is similar to your group. There are 11 of us. About half have been to the grocery store. Three have done outside dining. One person got on a plane (but not for vacation - to go stay with family). And exactly one of us has used a public restroom. 😂 Since mid March.

Am I a complete jerk for thinking that the exploding cases in Florida aren’t giving WDW much incentive to invite more Floridians in ahead of schedule?

The only deals they have are for APs and Florida residents if I remember correctly.

I don’t think they are trying to prevent FL residents. If they were concerned about FL’s numbers to the point of being concerned with larger number of locals coming, I think they would just be closed.

I understand the desire for information, but a lot of the rumors that we were certain were true involved the parks opening on June 1st with only Magic Kingdom. After this, we heard that only DVC resorts would be open the entire year. There was absolutely no way that food and wine was happening. Most recently we heard that splash mountain would remain closed after its breakdown. I think it's quite possible that this board can convince itself of just about anything, given enough posts, and a little dark pixie dust from other forums. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter