Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No! I love people mover I can’t even think about that happening 😭
I think absolutely we will see more cuts coming. They aren't able to keep up the costs so instead of opening them to minimal crowds and having to maintain them they are just outright announcing permanent closures. Things we will need to watch for in coming announcements will be indoor shows announcing permanent closures and possibly even People Mover? It moves above people's heads and through buildings and I'm not sure they will open that one, at least for a while-if at all.

If they are going after boring rides, I really hope they don’t close Living with the Land. I know people poke fun at it but it’s seriously one of my favorites in Epcot.
It's a nice relaxing ride, but it's unfortunately got it's issues similar to people mover. It goes through areas where actual food for the restaurants is used, how could they make that a viable ride to maintain? I have a feeling many disappointing cuts are coming :(

Not sure why you'd think it'd improve. They weren't able to work on it during the shutdown.

I think I read, I'm not sure where....maybe here, maybe somewhere else....and yes, I know you can't believe everything you read, but that because ROTR is such a computer-forward attraction, that much of the "repair" work would be able to be done remotely, and was more IT related than physical issues. So, much like guest services people who were working from home, that ROTR was expected to be "worked on" from home as well.

Now, that may or may not have been true. BUT, we do know, at the very least, that they have had since the beginning of June to work on it in person. In my personal opinion, if a ride is so jacked up that it cannot be fixed in 6 weeks.....something ain't right.

It would be a monumental day of sadness but can you honestly say you can see a way they could open it right now? Reports of guests left and right seen without masks on rides, and with a ride that goes all over TL and over people's heads I do not a see a viable way to open it. 😕

Hm. I think I'm confused by the "over people's heads" concern. Are you saying the "over people's heads" part is a problem because CMs won't be able to enforce mask-wearing? The CMs are able to monitor the whole ride, so I don't think it would be any more of an issue on People Mover than on any other ride. Or is the "over people's heads" part a concern because of like... I don't know, People Mover riders potentially spitting on guests below them, or something? I guess I'm not seeing why the "over people's heads" part is of particular concern. I apologize!

Honestly, it has a lot of open-air sections and is easy to physically distance parties on, while providing people a chance to sit and even pass through A/C for several moments, so I would think that would be one they want open during these times. It's slow moving so no real risk of someone "losing" their mask, like they potentially could on something like RnRC or EE. When it works correctly, it's a decent people-eater, too. They can turn off the escalators and put down distance markers in the queue, though that could get long. I've seen it stretch back to Space Mountain at times. That could be an issue.

Hm. I think I'm confused by the "over people's heads" concern. Are you saying the "over people's heads" part is a problem because CMs won't be able to enforce mask-wearing? The CMs are able to monitor the whole ride, so I don't think it would be any more of an issue on People Mover than on any other ride. Or is the "over people's heads" part a concern because of like... I don't know, People Mover riders potentially spitting on guests below them, or something? I guess I'm not seeing why the "over people's heads" part is of particular concern. I apologize!

Honestly, it has a lot of open-air sections and is easy to physically distance parties on, while providing people a chance to sit and even pass through A/C for several moments, so I would think that would be one they want open during these times. It's slow moving so no real risk of someone "losing" their mask, like they potentially could on something like RnRC or EE. When it works correctly, it's a decent people-eater, too. They can turn off the escalators and put down distance markers in the queue, though that could get long. I've seen it stretch back to Space Mountain at times. That could be an issue.

I’m wondering if they are concerned with the times where you pass each other. They know people are taking their masks off on other rides since everything is video monitored. How many times do you pass by another train on Peoplemover? A couple times per trip? They go pretty close to each other.

What I'm getting at is that we've seen multiple reports of people removing masks while on rides. For the majority of rides, this isn't as big of an issue because the attractions are in their own buildings separate from the rest of the guests not on the ride. With PM, in travels between buildings, with people walking underneath them, through the gift shop, etc. And while, yes, CM could stop the ride and announce over the speaker that people need to put their masks back on, in terms of efficiency that just isn't viable. The ride would be stopped way too often to even bother opening the ride. I don't think guests would go so far as to "spit" on people below, but given how distance tests about breathing/speaking/coughing/sneezing travel, to have that above people if it happens sounds like a problem Disney doesn't want.

Guys, I don't think that covid is related to peoplemover. Remember that two cars collided before shutdown? In all the livestreams that I've watched there are cast members on the attraction, and expect it to open. I would be surprised..

Did you change your avatar? It's cute!!

I don't think it currently being closed is related to the new procedures, either. They've been testing it since previews. It's, unfortunately, had problems for a while. Even before the closure there were days where it wouldn't run or had to close early due to technical issues.

TBH I think if they wouldn’t be running Peoplemover for virus reasons they shouldn’t be able to justify running anything, or even opening. Similar concerns apply to a lot of attractions, if not worse (like someone removing their mask on a slow moving indoor onmimover).

Feels like DHS still has the same issue as in the past - you need to get there for rope drop to get the best chance at a boarding group ... but if you don't care about that and show up a bit later you can find it not as crazy
I was able to get a boarding group at the 1:00 slot. I was on my phone and noticed the time was 12:59, so at 1:00, I hit join and got right in.

What I'm getting at is that we've seen multiple reports of people removing masks while on rides. For the majority of rides, this isn't as big of an issue because the attractions are in their own buildings separate from the rest of the guests not on the ride. With PM, in travels between buildings, with people walking underneath them, through the gift shop, etc. And while, yes, CM could stop the ride and announce over the speaker that people need to put their masks back on, in terms of efficiency that just isn't viable. The ride would be stopped way too often to even bother opening the ride. I don't think guests would go so far as to "spit" on people below, but given how distance tests about breathing/speaking/coughing/sneezing travel, to have that above people if it happens sounds like a problem Disney doesn't want.

That could go for a few rides though - Dumbo, they'd have to stop ride completely, you are outdoors and people can sneeze on there too. They would have to close down Dumbo.

Or dare I say - the Magic Carpet ride!!!

This is where the signs and the warnings come in, you are taking your own risks with Covid. Disney can do a lot, but they can't do everything.

Ah, ok. Thank you for explaining! I see what you're saying.

I think they could make announcements without having to stop the ride, so that might be a plus, actually, to drill into those people that the CMs are always watching and that they are enforcing the mask rules.

Personally, I'd be less concerned about someone on People Mover having their mask off during the ride and that "contaminated" air eventually circulating to me down on the ground than I would be about someone two ride vehicles ahead of me on Buzz taking their mask off and then I ride through that same air that doesn't circulate the same way or as quickly as the air outside does.

I don't know that the People Mover's placement necessarily poses any more or less of a risk than, say, the Speedway, or the Teacups - and with the CM at load being able to monitor the whole ride, they'd actually be more likely to catch and address the issue than a CM at the Speedway or the Teacups. I certainly don't know that it's any more or less risky than indoor attractions, especially slow, dark attractions.

I am not a medical professional or CM, though, so I may very well be wrong!

TBH I think if they wouldn’t be running Peoplemover for virus reasons they shouldn’t be able to justify running anything, or even opening. Similar concerns apply to a lot of attractions, if not worse (like someone removing their mask on a slow moving indoor onmimover).
The few that come to mind would be Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Mermaid, Nemo, Frozen, etc and none of these go above other people's heads. PM is in a league of it's own. It's also VERY old, and while we all love the nostalgia that doesn't mean that Disney wants to invest in Plexiglass to make it usable.

The few that come to mind would be Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Mermaid, Nemo, Frozen, etc and none of these go above other people's heads. PM is in a league of it's own. It's also VERY old, and while we all love the nostalgia that doesn't mean that Disney wants to invest in Plexiglass to make it usable.

I just think if they’ve got problem enforcing mask usage on attractions to the point that they need to keep one closed, they’ve got bigger problems on their hands.

Having said all my speculation about PM, I could be WAY OFF and it might open tomorrow! rteetz said we shouldn't speculate on which rides may end up closing so I've given my thoughts and cross my fingers that our other favorites don't go the way of Stitch/PW/RoL 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter