CRT out of pocket?

HatboxHaint

GrimGrinningGhost
I am about two weeks out now from a free dining trip and wondering if I should pay for CRT out of pocket since it costs two credits? I could do that but I don't really have two more good reservations in hand nor is my itinerary very flexible at this point.

I'd use the dining plan. It's super pricey whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner, making it worth the 2 credits. Mind you, it's worth the 2 credits $$ wise, quality wise, that's debatable. Also, it doesn't sound like it's taking away from anything else on your trip, so it's not worth the hassle to try to wedge anything else in there.

I am about two weeks out now from a free dining trip and wondering if I should pay for CRT out of pocket since it costs two credits? I could do that but I don't really have two more good reservations in hand nor is my itinerary very flexible at this point.

If you can't use the credits elsewhere it doesn't make sense to have them go to waste

I was in the same dilemma... We have 5 TS credits..So I broke down all of our ADR's to figure how much we would pay OOP for each one (including tip). For us it was best to use credits for CRT and pay OOP for CP breakfast.

We had a seven night stay last July and already had ADR's at Fulton's Crab House(2 credits) so we paid OOP for CRT. All of the rest of our TS meals were single credit so it worked out nice for us.pixiedust:

I never understand why people say paying CRT on DDP is not a good choice. We have a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 children. We can use 2 credits at CRT while on DDP, tips included.

OOP cost at CRT dinner is $260 or so.

That's equal to $130 per DDP credit, including tips - which is a better value than many of the TS places, unless we order the most expensive item on the manual every single time, which we are not going to do.

For example, we look at Sanaa. the most expensive item on the manual is a steak, at $29.99. Plus drink and desert. Total is about $40. Kids meals are about $10. Total cost about $100 for the family, plus $20 tips. So, the value of that Sanaa meal is $100. less than the $130 at CRT.

Am I wrong? :confused3

I never understand why people say paying CRT on DDP is not a good choice. We have a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 children. We can use 2 credits at CRT while on DDP, tips included.

OOP cost at CRT dinner is $260 or so.

That's equal to $130 per DDP credit, including tips - which is a better value than many of the TS places, unless we order the most expensive item on the manual every single time, which we are not going to do.

For example, we look at Sanaa. the most expensive item on the manual is a steak, at $29.99. Plus drink and desert. Total is about $40. Kids meals are about $10. Total cost about $100 for the family, plus $20 tips. So, the value of that Sanaa meal is $100. less than the $130 at CRT.

Am I wrong? :confused3

Not to totally go OT here, but to clarify your point above, the DDP does not include tips. Or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying...

FINANCIALLY SPEAKING, no character meal is worth DDP credits, not even CRT.

go pinch your own pennies, mine are just fine thankyou. We all know the DDP is bad money mangement, but some of us choose it for our own reasons beyond FINANCIALS. especially when it's so easy to click the free-dining button, i luuuurve it!

Not to totally go OT here, but to clarify your point above, the DDP does not include tips. Or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying...

In general, tips are not included on the dining plan, but they ARE included in the price at CRT (and some others, too, I think like dinner shows maybe, but CRT is the only one I know for sure)

I thought CRT is 2 credits if you are on the DDP. Tips are not normally included while on DDP, but CRT is the exception. Tip at CRT is included whether you pay OOP or with dining credits. Maybe I'm wrong?:confused:

FINANCIALLY SPEAKING, no character meal is worth DDP credits, not even CRT.

Do you mean not worth TWO credits, or do you mean not worth credits at all?

Of course, if I'm comparing theme park prices for B+ food to a local restaurant I like with A+ food, I spend way less at home. However, in the world of Disney Money, a character meal is a great use of dining credits - they are among the most expensive table service meals, especially for kids, and cost the same credit as a meal at a cheaper TS. Susanch12345 has it right in her math (again, deciding whether ANY theme park food is "worth it" at those prices is a whole 'nuther discussion!)

Do you mean not worth TWO credits, or do you mean not worth credits at all?

Of course, if I'm comparing theme park prices for B+ food to a local restaurant I like with A+ food, I spend way less at home. However, in the world of Disney Money, a character meal is a great use of dining credits - they are among the most expensive table service meals, especially for kids, and cost the same credit as a meal at a cheaper TS. Susanch12345 has it right in her math (again, deciding whether ANY theme park food is "worth it" at those prices is a whole 'nuther discussion!)

I agree. :cheer2:

In general, tips are not included on the dining plan, but they ARE included in the price at CRT (and some others, too, I think like dinner shows maybe, but CRT is the only one I know for sure)

I thought CRT is 2 credits if you are on the DDP. Tips are not normally included while on DDP, but CRT is the exception. Tip at CRT is included whether you pay OOP or with dining credits. Maybe I'm wrong?:confused:

I had no idea CRT was an exception! Interesting. Thank you both for the info! :)

We haven't done the DDP in a few years, we just go with TIW. Although, the one experience we had at CRT we were on the DDP and the experience was so bad they ended up comping our meal for 5 adults - and there were definitely no tips happening that day, included or not. :sad2: That said, being that the tips are included may explain their reputation for less than stellar service.

I never understand why people say paying CRT on DDP is not a good choice. We have a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 children. We can use 2 credits at CRT while on DDP, tips included. OOP cost at CRT dinner is $260 or so. That's equal to $130 per DDP credit, including tips . . .

1) Huh?
2) Fuzzy math?
3) A credit/coupon for DDP approx value is $38 per adult for TS (regardless of time or meal)
4) CRT dinner is currently $73, including tax/tip. *
5) So, using DDP, your cost is $76 versus $73 paying cash per adult ($38 x 2).
6) That is just the simple math.
7) Thus, DDP is financially not the best way to pay for CRT or any character meal.
8) Sure, some folks would rather pay extra to use DDP for "convenience".
9) But, we try to pay less for the same purchase, when possible.
10) Example:
. . . Does one pay sticker for a new car if you don't have to?
. . . Does one pay rack rate at WDW if a room discount is available?
. . . Does one pay for DDP if Free Dining is offered?

* CRT prices include tax/tip whether paying DDP or CRT.

NOTE: The OP question was simply whether it was better to pay for CRT as
OOP or DDP. The above tries to answer the FINANCIAL question.

go pinch your own pennies, mine are just fine thankyou. We all know the DDP is bad money mangement, but some of us choose it for our own reasons beyond FINANCIALS. especially when it's so easy to click the free-dining button, i luuuurve it!

Wait. You were ASKING about if it was worth it or not. I think it's OK to answer based on that.

I also think Rusty meant "2 DDP credits" not just "DDP credits". Especially since it was in direct response to ". . . super pricey whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner, making it worth the 2 credits . . ."

I am wondering if anyone has used the dining plan for their child/children and payed out of pocket for adult/s at CRT?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter