Crowds in Marathon weekend

luvstiggertoo

<font color=green>DIS'ing at work!!<br><font color
I'm sure this has been asked already. We're planning a quick weekend and just discovered its marathon weekend. Planning on MK on Saturday. Will it be packed?

http://www.disboards.com/search.php?searchid=45548624

Use the link above to see search results for "Marathon"

My response: No, it won't be "packed". Your biggest issues might be with traffic, road closures and possibly park hopping (due to transportation issues with traffic and road closures.

In regards to crowd size, it will be almost insignificant.

I found the crowds on Marathon weekend insignificant, but the bus transportation early in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday had some delays and re-routing because of the race. I think if you drive, traffic can also be a problem, but I don't know about that myself.

Oh, and don't book an 8am breakfast at Epcot on either of those mornings. :lmao:

Here are some pic examples taken during marathon week 2013:

Weekday morning, about 8:30 am with a 9 am park opening.
3j1o.jpg

This pic was taken on a weekday at Magic Kingdom just before rope drop the gates open). The show had just ended and we are about to walk in. As you can see, plenty of room around us for what is normally a "crowded" area.
r3qf.jpg

This was taken at the midddai parade in Magic Kingdom. We arrived about 15 minutes prior to the start of the parade and was able to stand in the street up against the curb right near Casey's.
c3tw.jpg

This was taken on a weekday at Hollywood Studios (probably mid morning). Again, as you can see, nobody is around me.
g0o5.jpg

Weekday at Hollywood Studios (non extra magic hour day).
8x0n.jpg

About to do Barnstormer (notice empty car behind me).
t2m1.jpg

Midweek taken at Epcot in the Seas. Notice, nobody around them at the glass.
vrmn.jpg

My response: No, it won't be "packed". Your biggest issues might be with traffic, road closures and possibly park hopping (due to transportation issues with traffic and road closures.

In regards to crowd size, it will be almost insignificant.

:thumbsup2

Enjoy the parks, OP!

I'm sure this has been asked already. We're planning a quick weekend and just discovered its marathon weekend. Planning on MK on Saturday. Will it be packed?

As long as you aren't trying to get to the MK early that morning before the park opens, you should be fine. The race starts at 5:30AM and they have 3.5 hours to complete the race. The last runners crossing the start line will be about 6 ro 6:30AM. So by 9AM, they should all be back in Epcot and off the roads.

Yeah on Saturday it's pretty much over by 10-11am but on Sunday for the full it's not just MK and Epcot that are involved but AK,DHS and WWoS with major streets like Osceola parkway closed until around noon and the last runners finishing at Epcot as late as 1:30-2pm,more transportation issues on Sunday.

Thanks everyone for the info. We're driving to MK on Saturday from a Hotel by Sea World and don't plan on arriving until 9 or so. We know the back roads so we should be able to get around any roadblocks or traffic snaffus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter