Crowds AFTER New Year's...best guess please!

FWDisFan

Mouseketeer
Just found out that the week we had planned to come to DL interferes with DD's spelling bee...so now I am trying to figure out when the New Year's crowds start to die down. Any guesses? We are thinking of arriving January 3-9 or around there. What do you think?? Will it still be swamped the week immediately following New Year's? (My DH doesn't want to go when it's super crowded). Any best estimates would be greatly appreciated...

We have flown in on New Year's day 3 times for a trip, the crowds are fine. Look carefully at the DLR calendar usually the christmas overlays are up a few days into the trip, then get shut down......so do them early. Also, it is neat that often we get the holiday version of fireworks and parades the first few days, the the regular the last day or two.:)

Judy - THANK YOU! How neat to be able to experience both the holiday AND "regular" fireworks, etc. That is an advantage I hadn't thought of. Now I need to start pricing this! :)

Susan -- that is what I was hoping to hear! ALTHOUGH I'm a little worried because when I called to price the Grand Californian there are no rooms available for Jan. 3-7. (That may just be Costco's allotment OR it could mean they are truly sold out and it may be jam-packed!)

While I'm hoping for low crowds because we'll be there Jan 1-7, I'm afraid it may be more crowded than usual because some schools are out until Jan. 9. I know much of TX is (that's us) and also some in CA (we're meeting others there from CA). I am looking forward to seeing some of the XMAS things the first few days!

Can You Say..... ROSE BOWL? The National Championship is the 4th. Crowds will be heavy due to the game. While it will slow down, the overlays will be start coming down as well.

Yup, I planned my next trip for Jan 10-14. I would wait until a week after the holiday week if you can (airfare is cheaper too). Small World Holiday closes on the 4th but the Haunted Mansion Holiday will NOT shut down for removal until Small World re-opens on the 18th....I believe. This is according to the current listings on DL's website.

I would also try to clear out of there Jan 14-16th due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday which occurs on the 16th. That is a MAJOR federal holiday and just about all kids will be out of school and most offices close for the day. Therefore, that three day weekend should get DARN heavy.

My .02 cents....hope this helps.

We will be there Jan 4-7, and it looks like it will be fairly crowded. GC appears to be sold out for those dates on the Disney website.

We are booked for Jan 1 to 6 and I am trying to plan on what days to visit the park.

We have a four day park hopper.

We will go on Jan 1 even though the crowds will be heavy - but on the first day there you can't resist.

I was thinking of also Monday Jan 2 (heavy crowds, but longer hours and Xmas displays still up, more parades, etc).

And then on the last day (Friday, Jan 6) we would go again.

From then I wasn't too sure how to use the other day.

Will the parks be busy on the Rose Bowl day itself? Or will people tend to stay home to watch the game and/or go to the game?

We are also going to Universal for one day (Tuesday, Wed, or Thursday) - any suggestions on which day is best, or if there is one to avoid?

Thanks

EGADS -- the ROSE BOWL! :eek: I forgot. (Although if I could my DH tickets to watch the Longhorns he might buy in to it! :rolleyes: )

Looks like my DD will either need to miss the Spelling Bee this year or we will all miss DL!

You are right, the three day Martin Luther King Weekend does get heavy. I was there last year on Martin Luther King Day and it was pretty crowded.

We're going there on the 3rd. We couldn't get a room on the 2nd, so we're flying in on the 2nd late in the day, staying in a hotel near the airport and then going down to DL on the 3rd. The 4th is my birthday so I'm excited about that! :-D

And we're leaving Saturday night...

I am a many many time WDW visitor... never been to DL. What is the weather like in Jan? Will I be wearing jeans or shorts? (I wear shorts from the mid 70's up usually :-D )

yes and yes! The thing about that area is even when it has been warm enough for shorts in the day( complete luck of the draw in Jan), after the sun sets most people want jeans and a sweatshirt at a minimum.

From what I have read and what others have contributed I would suspect the 14th is going to be busy since it is the Saturday before MLK Day! It sounds like 3 day weekends (holiday weekends) have been packed (ie Veterans Day!)

Further information supporting the idea that it may be pretty crowded is that Disneyland has extended the park hours for Jan 1-7 since I first started making my plans. Disneyland is opening at 9 instead of 10 each day, and they've extended Friday night from 11:00 to midnite for closing.

Every1's assumptions so far look spot on. Three day weekends have been really hectic, especially for the 50th, and Martin Luther King b-day looks to be no exception. On veterans day (Friday holiday instead of Monday) they had to close DL due to capacity around 11:30 or Noon.

And yes, if you examine the calendar on DL's website, you can get a really good idea of crowd levels. They monitor hotel bookings both on-site and off-site surrounding the hotels and adjust park hours and parade schedules accordingly. Therefore, the mornings with an hour earlier opening (8AM or 9AM) or the evenings with anything later than 8PM...off season....are definite indicators of a hectic day in the park. Just get there early and keep moving in those arly hours before the crowds peak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter