• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crowd Outlook

Not 35% in the Fall. It’s what they offered during Covid and during the last recession. I remember them going as high as 40-45% the last recession. Maybe will see that again. The problem is that he cost of eating at WDW is so high and that’s not getting discounted. The scaled down dining plan they are offering is ridiculously expensive.
I think I got Buy 4 nights Get 3 nights and a $500 gift card during the recession.

It’s illogical, but I’d rather them bring back Magical Express, luggage delivery and resort check-in than any room discounts. Throw in package delivery to resorts while they’re at it.

I think I got Buy 4 nights Get 3 nights and a $500 gift card during the recession.

It’s illogical, but I’d rather them bring back Magical Express, luggage delivery and resort check-in than any room discounts. Throw in package delivery to resorts while they’re at it.
Bring it all back and the room discounts.

I think with the dining plan coming back in 24', and the revenge travelers trailing off, the rest of 23' is in the toilet. I will assume that 24' will start to bounce back time will tell

Agree. Lots of posters here have said they wouldn’t go back til park reservations went away, or the dining plan came back. So I think those people will plan trips. And some people probably delayed trips from this year until next because of those changes.

Not 35% in the Fall. It’s what they offered during Covid and during the last recession. I remember them going as high as 40-45% the last recession. Maybe will see that again. The problem is that he cost of eating at WDW is so high and that’s not getting discounted. The scaled down dining plan they are offering is ridiculously expensive.

Maybe not in the fall, but there were AP & Disney Visa discounts of 35-40% for several months in 2019. Disney has always had discounts from 10-40% to fill the resorts, different rates for different resorts or times of the year. So I don’t see these discounts as very different from prepandemic offers. As @Upatnoon said, the base rates of the resorts are way up. To me, that’s probably a big reason for people to not book Disney resorts.

If Disney really anticipates low bookings next year, maybe we’ll see the return of bounceback offers. 🤞🏻

Last edited:

Maybe not in the fall, but there were AP & Disney Visa discounts of 35-40% for several months in 2019. Disney has always had discounts from 10-40% to fill the resorts, different rates for different resorts or times of the year. So I don’t see these discounts as very different from prepandemic offers. As @Upatnoon said, the base rates of the resorts are way up. To me, that’s probably a big reason for people to not book Disney resorts.

If Disney really anticipates low bookings next year, maybe we’ll see the return of bounceback offers. 🤞🏻
When I look at everything they have done as a whole it's pretty telling that bookings are looking soft. They have been pulling many different levers already. The big one is the APs not selling out. IMO the demand is no where near what Disney was hoping for.

When I look at everything they have done as a whole it's pretty telling that bookings are looking soft. They have been pulling many different levers already. The big one is the APs not selling out. IMO the demand is no where near what Disney was hoping for.

Absolutely agree. Just pointing out Disney used all these things & rates to sell rooms all the time prepandemic. So just a return to “normal” IMO. If management expected to raise rates astronomically, pull benefits, not use any of the discounts they’ve used for the 30 years I’ve been going & still sell out resorts year round, they were seriously delusional.

Reactions: fbb
To be fair, supply/demand is always a moving target, and all any business can do is forecast with the best available data.

However, some of the problems that have caused the soft demand at the parks were caused by "poor decision making by management" that could have been avoided had Common Sense been employed in those decisions.

In my humble opinion.

To be fair, supply/demand is always a moving target, and all any business can do is forecast with the best available data.

However, some of the problems that have caused the soft demand at the parks were caused by "poor decision making by management" that could have been avoided had Common Sense been employed in those decisions.

In my humble opinion.
I agree with you. As far as APs go I do believe they thought they would sell out. Look at the message they put out APs could sell out any time. I honestly believe in Disney's mind that this unprecedented demand would never end.
It really feels like they don't understand their own product any more.

I agree with you. As far as APs go I do believe they thought they would sell out. Look at the message they put out APs could sell out any time. I honestly believe in Disney's mind that this unprecedented demand would never end.
I mean honestly, the price hikes over the last few years have turned some to people to other places.

We’re only one family, but we bought a camper instead of DVC. DVC was always in the cards for us, but it just became too much and turned us off.

Oh yes, I know I specifically referring to the Fall. I haven't been to the food and wine in years because of it. We usually go in January, May, or August. Mid-2021 through early 2023 was the only time I've seen slim to no discounts for the public. We rented points in May 2022 and January 2023. There was really nothing as far as discounts.

I haven't seen a public 40% in years. During covid, we got 35%, and the availability was great of course.

I would love bounceback offers. It really is something I have missed.

Annual Passes never sold out in the past in Florida -- they just got more expensive over the years with more categories.

When APs returned, first in a limited fashion, then for real, there was speculation they could run out -- I'm sure Disney did nothing to cool the FOMO. The real test will be after the pent-up demand wears off. Will people re-up in a year? Time will tell on that one.

At Epcot, annual passholders can pick up a free magnet. Both days we went there, was a line to pick them up. A line that seemingly was there all day long. The new passholder lounge they set up by The Land also was full.

Annual Passes never sold out in the past in Florida
Well that's an interesting factoid that I had forgotten about.

So AP's not selling out is just a return to pre-pandemic results...but so many on here say it is the end of the (Disney) world.

The return to pre-pandemic business results are to be expected and should not be a surprise to TWDC. It's certainly not a suprise to most of us on here who pay attention to the business side of the company, we have been talking about the end of revenge travel for many many months. How some can twist that into a looming financial disaster, I do not know.

I mean honestly, the price hikes over the last few years have turned some to people to other places.

We’re only one family, but we bought a camper instead of DVC. DVC was always in the cards for us, but it just became too much and turned us off.
I agree. Anecdotally, but I've seen a lot more people opting to visit the actual countries that are present in the World Showcase than the fake versions present in Epcot. Flights are still a major hurdle from the US but you can do a trip like that for cheaper than WDW.

Well that's an interesting factoid that I had forgotten about.

So AP's not selling out is just a return to pre-pandemic results...but so many on here say it is the end of the (Disney) world.

The return to pre-pandemic business results are to be expected and should not be a surprise to TWDC. It's certainly not a suprise to most of us on here who pay attention to the business side of the company, we have been talking about the end of revenge travel for many many months. How some can twist that into a looming financial disaster, I do not know.
https://mickeyblog.com/2023/04/20/w...at-least-one-annual-pass-will-sell-out-today/

It's not a return to pre-pandemic business at all. That article proves Disney expected one AP to sell out. No one is saying they are in a looming financial disaster but they also aren't as good of shape as many make them out to be.

https://mickeyblog.com/2023/04/20/w...at-least-one-annual-pass-will-sell-out-today/

It's not a return to pre-pandemic business at all. That article proves Disney expected one AP to sell out. No one is saying they are in a looming financial disaster but they also aren't as good of shape as many make them out to be.
That’s not what they said, they specifically used the word “might” and this came as a midday update as they were getting throttled by internet traffic.

Agree. Lots of posters here have said they wouldn’t go back til park reservations went away, or the dining plan came back. So I think those people will plan trips. And some people probably delayed trips from this year until next because of those changes.
I'm hoping so, since I'll be going in early December and have no interest in the dining plan and am not phased by park reservations. More elbow room for me. 😉

That’s not what they said, they specifically used the word “might” and this came as a midday update as they were getting throttled by internet traffic.
They have never used "might" before. Whatever too much pixie dusters in here.

Again the point is crowd outlook is trending down. Yet most of you seen to disagree.

They have never used "might" before. Whatever too much pixie dusters in here.

Again the point is crowd outlook is trending down. Yet most of you seen to disagree.
Just points out the idea that we as consumers have to pay attention to each and every word used in media we consume. That concept of requiring one to be a word smith when believing what is published is getting quite tiresome. Half a page of comments about the word "might". How about this use, am I doing it right? I might never again consider TWDC a family focused break from reality, and worthy of my discretionary spending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter