• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crowd control, to Major Tom(in Jan)

luvmychaos

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I was hoping the wonderful people of the Dis can help me with crowd guesses. We have always gone to WDW in late Nov/early Dec. This year we were thinking the 1st full week after New Year’s. I know that crowds are growing(and shall continue) so I know there’s not really a “low crowd” season anymore. This will be my parents 1st time coming with us and I’m trying to hedge my chances of it being as awesome as possible for them!
Thank you!!
Brandy

I concur. I just got back from a trip 1/6 -1/11. It was extremely crowded on the first Sunday of my visit, moderately crowded the rest of my trip. End of holiday visitors and marathon visitors really surprised me. I would only imagine that next year will be even more crowded with the projected new attractions.

If possible, I would suggest the last week of January. In recent years it's the only time I've been to WDW that seemed to have low level crowds.
Rooms are cheapest as well. The drawbacks are that they adjust ride capacities to a degree so wait times aren't as low as they would seem to be with the low crowd levels. Also the park hours are shorter and the weather can be chilly especially at night. As PP's have indicated, there just aren't many low crowd times anymore.

I try everything I can to avoid crowds. My strategies:
* Pre Park Opening ADRs, followed by an hour or so of the park, then break and go relax (a mid day break is crucial to my enjoyment; it is easy to get tired and frustrated if you go full speed - especially if older). Go back to the park or another park around 4 or after. I find evening crowds can be pleasant. For example, we usually get a PPO ADR for Garden Grill, finish around 8:45, walk downstairs to Soarin, they almost always let you on early, go immediately next to Test Track, then Mission Space. After that, it's easy, or a good time to leave the park.
* Doing opposite of what everyone else is doing. While I enjoy the parades, I'd rather be doing other things while the crowds are down. We watched the fireworks from Fantasyland last trip, and while we did not see the castle projections, we found the experience to be quite unique. I felt like I was in the middle of the fireworks. Then we headed right away to an attraction without the crowds.
* Rope drop or EMH. I also have no problem paying for events which have limited crowds. Back when they had evening EMH, I found the parks to be very easy to move about and see the attractions.
* Getting the crucial fps. Refreshing can work well. I was able to get (6) 7DMT fps and 5 Peter Pan fps for the next day while waiting for my dining reservation (and my family to ride a roller coaster I couldn't ride).
* Rain is your friend. Always carry a poncho. Last trip, all the attractions in Toy Story Land were practically a walk on after a pretty good rain, even Slinky Dog Dash. We had reservations for the EMM Toy Story Land the next morning and were able to cancel since we did everything without any major wait times.
We have been at the most crowded weeks and manage by doing these things. We also have the most fun when we loosely plan. It is definitely beneficial to have a plan, but be open to change those plans when a better opportunity presents itself. Don't get too hung up on dining reservations. So many people change their plans, most restaurants have last minute openings 1 or 2 days before. I check for reservations all the time, pretending I'm at Disney World, and practically everything is available a day or 2 before, even Beaches and Cream, Chef Mickeys, BOG, etc.
ETA: If you don't have kids, try to carry everything you can in your pockets. It's very pleasant to not have to go through the bag check. The plastic ponchos can be folded up to be very small and flat. I carry stick roll on sunscreen.

Last edited:
Due to the impending opening of SWGE, much is unknown about crowd levels from October 2019 and for the next few years to follow. The best strategy is to plan a vacation for the days that work best for you and plan according to what is happening. You will want to take advantage of rope drop, early FPs so that you can get additional FPs throughout the days, breaks, later evenings, etc.

Any crowd level advice given today for October 2019 and for the next few years to follow is an uneducated guess at best for the time being, unfortunately.

This year we did a very quick 2 day visit - MK on 1/3 and Epcot on 1/4 - and it was very crowded. We have been the first week of January before and we expected it to be busy, but this was much more crowded than we have seen at this time. The last time we were there at this time was 2016 and it was very busy then, but this year was much busier.

We were there for the last week, and it was crowded. Headliners where at least 60 minutes and some of the rides we never see waits had some long ones sometimes. Small world was at 45 minutes one day we where there. So I would expect the week right after New Years to be crowded too.

As mentioned, go early. Although we didn’t get as much accomplished as we used to, going early still gets you on a few rides with minimal wait. Then use your fp and try to get more or go to shows/low wait attractions. It worked well for us.

Due to the impending opening of SWGE, much is unknown about crowd levels from October 2019 and for the next few years to follow. The best strategy is to plan a vacation for the days that work best for you and plan according to what is happening. You will want to take advantage of rope drop, early FPs so that you can get additional FPs throughout the days, breaks, later evenings, etc.

Any crowd level advice given today for October 2019 and for the next few years to follow is an uneducated guess at best for the time being, unfortunately.

Well said. I was just thinking along your thoughts of “choose the week that works for your schedule and plan accordingly”.

This really is great advice to keep you from losing your mind over the what-ifs. Disney trips are expensive and challenging to plan without second guessing. But Disney trips, at any time of the year, can be wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter