Crockpot Thanksgiving Recipe Ideas Needed!

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
Help!
I am a crockpot newbie. I have one of the largest size ones.. As I have limited oven space I was thinking there has to be some side dish ideas using only the crockpot..

Any recipe ideas?? the only challenge I can see is that crockpot don't brown correct? so I might have to still use the oven for anything that is crispy on top, correct??

Cheesy potatoes are great. I would crisp them in the oven though.

I use two, one for mashed potatoes and the other for squash. I make it even easier by using the crock pot liners. I have used it for stuffing, too. (It does not brown things) So I don't use them to create a dish, just to keep food warm.

Throw 1-2 whole unpeeled butternut squashes in the crock pot with a little water. High for a few hours, then take them out, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and scoop out the squash I to a bowl with butter and a hint of cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Effortless mashed butternut squash-yum!!

Last edited:
Crock Pot Stuffing

7 oz (200 grams) margarine
2 large onions chopped
2 1/2 cups chopped celery
16 oz canned sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
16-18 pieces of toasted bread cut into cubes
4 cups chicken broth or as needed
2 eggs beaten
The recipe also calls for 1 tsp salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper but we don’t use them

First toast 16-18 pieces of bread and cut into cubes. Set aside. Melt margarine in a skillet. Sauté onion and celery until beginning to soften. Add mushrooms and parsley. Cook stirring frequently until vegetables are heated through. If desired season with salt and pepper. Put the vegetables and toasted bread into the crock pot. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the beaten eggs. Cover. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Then set temperature to low and cook for 3-4 hours.

Christy Jordan's (Southern Plate) Crockpot Dressing is wonderful! We have it every year now.

I tried to do the mashed potato thing in the crock pot last year to save me from trying to whip them up right before I was trying to serve up the meal and it did not go well. The potatoes were not normal, even with the regular ingredients I would use if making them on the stove top. I didn't care for them at all (I also make cheesy potatoes in the crock pot and they are just not the same). This year I am going to try a sweet potato casserole in the crock pot.

slow-cooker-sweet-potato-casserole
damndelicious.net/2016/11/21/slow-cooker-sweet-potato-casserole/

Help!
I am a crockpot newbie. I have one of the largest size ones.. As I have limited oven space I was thinking there has to be some side dish ideas using only the crockpot..

Any recipe ideas?? the only challenge I can see is that crockpot don't brown correct? so I might have to still use the oven for anything that is crispy on top, correct??

I make my mashed potatoes first thing in the morning on Thansksgiving and then just keep them in the crockpot on warm until we are ready for dinner (1pm in my house). It makes one less thing to get done all at the same time.

Crock Pot Stuffing

7 oz (200 grams) margarine
2 large onions chopped
2 1/2 cups chopped celery
16 oz canned sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
16-18 pieces of toasted bread cut into cubes
4 cups chicken broth or as needed
2 eggs beaten
The recipe also calls for 1 tsp salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper but we don’t use them

First toast 16-18 pieces of bread and cut into cubes. Set aside. Melt margarine in a skillet. Sauté onion and celery until beginning to soften. Add mushrooms and parsley. Cook stirring frequently until vegetables are heated through. If desired season with salt and pepper. Put the vegetables and toasted bread into the crock pot. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the beaten eggs. Cover. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Then set temperature to low and cook for 3-4 hours.

Oh Thank you! this one would definately free up space in the oven...

The stuffing i’m Going to try, very similar to CynBeth’s

Stuffing Recipe
  • 1 cup spread, like butter or margarine
  • 2 cups onion
  • 2 cups celery
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley
  • 12 ounces mushrooms
  • 12 cups dry bread cubes
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, or as needed
  • 2 eggs, beaten
Instructions
  1. Put bread cubes in a large bowl and set aside.
  2. Chop the onions, celery, and parsley and slice the mushrooms.
  3. Melt butter or margarine in a large pan. Add onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley, stirring frequently until cooked.
  4. Pour vegetables over bread cubes. Sprinkle on seasonings to taste.
  5. Pour in chicken broth and add in eggs. Mix thoroughly.
  6. Place mixture in slow cooker and cover.
  7. Cook on high for 45 minutes.
  8. Reduce to low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
  9. Scoop stuffing into dish for serving.
Too Wet or Too Dry?
Check your stuffing a few hours before serving to see if it is too wet or too dry. If it's too wet, you can cook with the lid off for the remaining two hours. If it is too dry, add 1/4 cup broth and a tablespoon of butter and test it again. If it remains dry, continue adding broth and butter in quarter cup/1 tablespoon increments until it reaches the desired moisture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter