Crockpot-Pot Roast

smilie

I've been unwonked!
What do you add into the crockpot to make the roast flavorful? Every time I've made one in the crockpot it turns out so bland.

I use those Crockery Gourmet packets, two because I like to cook the meat in it all day and my husband likes a lot of gravy. I always cut up a large onion, baby carrots and a can or two of small whole potatoes.

It sounds like you probably are missing salt 1st...and then overall seasoning.

Most times, the packets people are using add a significant salt component and make pot roast fool proof.

If you don't want the ease of packets, I'd suggest lots of salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic will give you a nice flavor on your roast placed on a bed of onions...

I brown the meat first. Season flour with salt and pepper, then coat the roast with the flour. Heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan. Brown each side of the roast in the pan. Place roast in crock pot. Then I add onion soup mix that I have concentrated with maybe half a cup of water. Then cook on low.

Pot Roast season pack and instead of water, can of campbells french onion soup. I have not experimented with the Better than Buiollion since I just cook for one now.

french onion soup mix. or beefy onion. The packets. After I put the meat in the bottom of the crock pot, I sprinkle the mix on top of the meat, then put a little water in around the bottom of it. Then add veggies.

The recipe I use has a packet of onion soup mix and a packet of brown gravy.......mixed with a cup of water......makes a good gravy too

Always brown the roast on all sides first, that's the best advice I can give. I never use water, always beef broth or a packet of Au Jus mix.

What do you add into the crockpot to make the roast flavorful? Every time I've made one in the crockpot it turns out so bland.

Salt and pepper roast all over (or use a steak seasoning!) Brown the meat in a pan on the stove; put on top of chunks of carrots and potatoes. In the pan you browned the meat in, add some beef broth, beer or red wine (your choice) to deglaze the pan and get all the meaty bits out, and to cook the alcohol out some. Add to crockpot. Add chunks of onion. Add beef broth, some Lipton onion soup mix, worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, salt and pepper, some chopped garlic, and a jar of salsa (go as hot as you want it). You can add celery either now, or later if you wish, or use whatever root veggies you want (rutabagas and turnips are good too). Cover and cook. If you want the broth thicker, you can add a cold water cornstarch slurry a couple of hours before its done.

Horseradish. Not the sauce but just the jar of straight horseradish. I promise you, it will not taste the horseradish at all when it's done but adds a real depth of flavor. I think many "New England" post roast recipes include this. I use that and can of petite diced tomatoes along with the usual spices and find it to be very flavorful.

You definitely should brown it in a pan also.

Question number 1 is, where are you getting your roast from? My roasts just tossed in the crock pot trumps any Walmart or many grocery store roasts no matter how you doctor them up because it's raised by us. If it's a Walmart roast, that's problem number 1.

Seasoning plain and simple. Whether it's just SPG or more fancy, it needs seasoned.

I am partial to just SPG or I sprinkle a packet of Ranch seasoning on the meat before tossing it in the crock.

I have one going now! I cut large chunks of onion for the bottom and put the meat on top. Lots of salt and ground black pepper, a bay leaf and a tablespoon of olive oil on top of the beef. I then add carrots, celery and potatoes. Easy and delicious!

Question number 1 is, where are you getting your roast from? My roasts just tossed in the crock pot trumps any Walmart or many grocery store roasts no matter how you doctor them up because it's raised by us. If it's a Walmart roast, that's problem number 1.

Seasoning plain and simple. Whether it's just SPG or more fancy, it needs seasoned.

I am partial to just SPG or I sprinkle a packet of Ranch seasoning on the meat before tossing it in the crock.

Noted. Will buy a farm to ensure tastier pot roast :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter