• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Critique my DL/DCA Plans

Mom-2-2Princesses

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

WDW vet here going on our first (and likely only) trip to the California parks. I've read the boards and done my planning and hopefully come up with a loose plan of attack for DL and DCA, but wanted to get additional thoughts/suggestions.

We are a family of 4- 2 adults, 2 kids (12 and 9).
We are staying onsite, and so have access to both MM/EMH.
We are trying to prioritize the attractions that are different than WDW (other than Soarin, which is a family favorite and we definitely want to do).

What do you think:

DCA:

Enter from Grand Californian entrance as soon as it opens (7 am)
Ride RSR
Ride Cali Screamin
Ride Soarin
FP GRR
Back to Carsland and Paradise Pier for low wait rides there (should I prioritize Sky School? Or is that basically a rethemed Barnstormer?)
Ride GRR
FP Frozen at the Hyperion
Tour other rides in Hollywood Land/Bug Land
See Frozen show
Everything else
WoC Dinner Package

DL
Rope Drop (7 am, I believe)
Ride Matterhorn
Ride Alice
Ride Toad
Ride Snow White
Ride Pinocchio
FP Space
Ride Nemo
Ride ISAW
FP Indiana Jones
Pirates
Everything else
PtN Dinner Package

Thoughts? Any better ideas/sequencing?

Thanks!

I would not enter through the GCH entrance at rope drop, even for early entry. They have only one line and it moves pretty slowly sometimes. Much better to head out to the esplanade.

If you plan to use the GCH entrance to DCA on an EE day, plan on being in line early (like 30 minutes or more early). That line goes soooooooooooooooo slow and if you aren't right up front you are better off walking around to the front and entering the park. We were there once when the line was all the way to the lobby (which is far!!!).

Also, you are going to want to get your Frozen show FP right away, not after you've ridden a few rides. Those go quick and if you wait you may be out of luck.

Thanks! Our dates are August 5-7.

So either we get to the GC entrance super early, or go to the main entrance? That's easy enough, I think.

As for the Frozen FP's, I don't think I can get those during EMH, so maybe I should get those after we ride Soarin, and then loop back and ride GRR? Or are the Frozen FP's disconnected so I can get FP's for both?

So either we get to the GC entrance super early, or go to the main entrance? That's easy enough, I think.

As for the Frozen FP's, I don't think I can get those during EMH, so maybe I should get those after we ride Soarin, and then loop back and ride GRR? Or are the Frozen FP's disconnected so I can get FP's for both?

Correct, no FP's are distributed during EMH. And yes, Frozen FP's are disconnected. :)

Skip the Grand entrance for morning entry! The front gates and their security lines are much faster at processing people into the parks. The entrance is great once it's later in the morning. The Frozen FPs are reported to be disconnected (like the WOC FPs).

Do you like Big Thunder Railroad? Disneyland updated theirs a year or two ago and it is SO much better than WDW.

You may need to be flexible when you enter for EMH. It is common to find rides still in "testing" mode (RSR and Matterhorn are most common). This doesn't always happen but if you go up to the ride and they are still "testing" just keep walking and go to your next ride. You don't want to waste an EMH waiting for a ride to open.

ETA: Disneyland's HM is also a bit different from WDW in case you're interested, but not as different as Big Thunder.

I would recommend you go through the main street entrance even if you could be first in line at the GC entrance. Others may have seen differently, and hopefully they will chime in here, but I have not seen the GC entrance group get in front of the main entrance group when being walked towards RSR at rope drop.

Got it! So we will enter thru the DCA main gates, ride RSR, Screamin and Soarin. Get FP's for GRR AND Frozen and then proceed with everything else. Thanks!

For DL, BTMR is different? As is HM? We will want to do those too, then. Should I add them in after Pirates, or do I need to get to them earlier in the day?

DCA:

Enter from Grand Californian entrance as soon as it opens (7 am)
Ride RSR
Ride Cali Screamin
Ride Soarin
FP GRR
Back to Carsland and Paradise Pier for low wait rides there (should I prioritize Sky School? Or is that basically a rethemed Barnstormer?)
Ride GRR
FP Frozen at the Hyperion
Tour other rides in Hollywood Land/Bug Land
See Frozen show
Everything else
WoC Dinner Package

DL
Rope Drop (7 am, I believe)
Ride Matterhorn
Ride Alice
Ride Toad
Ride Snow White
Ride Pinocchio
FP Space
Ride Nemo
Ride ISAW
FP Indiana Jones
Pirates
Everything else
PtN Dinner Package

Do you have two days or three in the parks?

Just a thought, California Screamin' is an easy ride to get a FP for pretty much any time during the day and may not be a good use of your EMH. Are you interested in riding Luigi's? I've heard it's slow loading and the line can get long. That may be worth checking out during EMH. Also, Toy Story is basically the same, but if you do want to ride it EMH is your best time, it should be a walk-on even after you ride RSR. Sky School is not a rethemed Barnstormer, it's a Mouse coaster. Not a great theme, but it's a fun little ride. The waits are not too bad in the morning and it does have FP available most of the day. Also, you may want to consider riding TOT if you like the ride since it's going away. It is slightly different, though some say inferior to, the one at WDW. It does have FP. Do they have Turtle Talk with Crush at WDW? It's a cute show. GRR is my personal favorite, way better than Kali Rapids, and is worth riding more than once if you have time. And try not to miss Monster's; it usually has low waits.

Do you not plan to ride Peter Pan? It is newly updated making it different than WDW. Also, I don't see Splash on your list. Although the WDW version is possibly better, the rides are slightly different. At DL the log is only one person wide. Are you interested in Toon Town at all? The rollercoaster there is similar to Barnstormer and could be skipped with your kids ages, but Roger Rabbit is a pretty popular ride. It's a spinning dark ride, the spinning does make it hard to see the ride sometimes though.

Got it! So we will enter thru the DCA main gates, ride RSR, Screamin and Soarin. Get FP's for GRR AND Frozen and then proceed with everything else. Thanks!

For DL, BTMR is different? As is HM? We will want to do those too, then. Should I add them in after Pirates, or do I need to get to them earlier in the day?
I would throw them in with "everything else". You have a pretty full day before Pirates. Afraid I don't know what wait times they've been running lately, I would check the Disneyland App to get a feel for the wait times later in the day and evening. BTMRR has FP so you might even be able to FP it later in the day after you've got your other FPs (remember you can get a new FP at the start time of your previous FP or after 2 hours, whichever is earliest). Personally I like doing HM at night because the sun shinning down on parts of that line come afternoon is brutal. If you have to choose between the two BTMRR is the most different and therefore the one I would hit up.

And I just thought of Storyland Canal Boats! The miniatures are quite impressive as is the miniature horticulture! It's there in Fantasyland and I don't believe WDW has that ride at all. I'd do it in the morning with your other Fantasyland rides as once afternoon parades start the ride gets shut down periodically because it's too close to the parade route.

I think this looks like a great itinerary! I would echo what others have shared about not necessarily skipping repeat attractions because they do have slight variation that makes them their own experience apart from WDW. I would also add one suggestion to the DL day itinerary. In the morning, ride Nemo after Alice and the Matterhorn. Then double back to fantasyland and pick up the other rides. My rational is this. Nemo is a popular ride and also extremely slow loading and low capacity so the lines get outrageously long(+50min on higher than average crowd days). I work it in super early in the day to knock it out and be done. And you'll definitely want to do it because it harkens back to the old 20,000 leagues under the sea days in addition to being just a really cute ride. Way better than Living Seas Nemo.

Finally, one other tip. I always make sure to work in characters interactions at Disneyland as much as possible. The characters in California roam free a lot more, and they have a great latitude to play with guests and really "perform". I think that the interactions are leaps and bounds better than WDW and for me it really makes the trip extra special! Yay! You're gonna have such a great time!! Enjoy!

For the first 3 or 4 hours of most days California Screaming often does not have more than a 10 or 15 minute wait. I'd seriously consider getting a fast pass for something else and just wait in the regular line for California Screaming.

I would pick out your lunch places as well. I would stay in the parks for Lunch. Pick a place with indoor seating. Many restaurants have outdoor seating which is not much of a break from the heat.

For the first 3 or 4 hours of most days California Screaming often does not have more than a 10 or 15 minute wait. I'd seriously consider getting a fast pass for something else and just wait in the regular line for California Screaming.

I've found that to be the case as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter