Critique my dining choices please!

lilsonicfan

DIS Veteran
We have really not done much table service in the past but I’d like to try a few places on our upcoming trip, here is what I’ve planned:

Day 1: non-park day- Boma dinner
Day 2: HS- Sci-Fi lunch, Oga’s for drinks, Beaches & Cream dinner (more dessert)
Day 3: EPCOT- Space 220 lunch
Day 4: MK- Ohana dinner
Day 5: AK- Tusker House late breakfast
Day 6: Homecomin- lunch

I’m waffling on Space 220. The price is so high.
I’m not sure about keeping all three AYCTE places either.

We’re a family of 5, my kids are all over 10 and fairly adventurous eaters. Any thoughts on our plan? They don’t really care if we see characters.

When you haven't done a lot of TS dining, then the only way to do it is to try what you think you may like! :)

Since you asked for critique, the only thing I see on your list that I would personally change is the Ohana dinner. It has slipped dramatically in recent years in both food quality and overall experience (mainly food quality). The breakfast is okay, but the dinner I would not recommend any longer until they give it an overhaul. Just my personal two cents as it used to be one of our faves 10+ years ago. There are several options in the MK resort area that are superior in my opinion.

Day 5 is a winner if you time it right you will get breakfast and lunch offerings

We have given up on Ohana after the last 2 visits though the still accommodate DS and bring out plain noodles!! :)

Sci-Fi and Ogas were one and done for us. (DS has sensory issues so Oga's was too loud and Sci-Fi was too dark)

Beaches and Cream you can't go wrong with a sweet treat at the end of the night.

I can't comment on the rest as our family generally does the resort restaurants for dinner but we will be trying Boma on our next trip although it kills me to to pay the adult price for DS when he eats 1 maybe 2 chicken tenders if we're lucky!!

Have fun

We have really not done much table service in the past but I’d like to try a few places on our upcoming trip, here is what I’ve planned:

Day 2: HS- Sci-Fi lunch, Oga’s for drinks, Beaches & Cream dinner (more dessert)

We’re a family of 5, my kids are all over 10 and fairly adventurous eaters. Any thoughts on our plan? They don’t really care if we see characters.

I think you made good choices.

If you are concerned about costs and want to sub some of the AYCTE places out, you could switch Boma to Sanaa - great food, lovely atmosphere, but a la carte pricing.

Sci-Fi and B&C are great choices, IMHO.

I really enjoy Space 220, but, yes, the prix-fixe is expensive. It's a long shot, but you could try getting a lounge reservation so you can order off the lounge menu instead - you would probably need to split up your party into a table of 3 and 2, however, as I believe 4 is max for a lounge reservation. There are so many good restaurants in EP - perhaps consider San Angel Inn (nice atmosphere) or even Teppan Edo for an element of fun?

'Ohana - our last experience there was good, but it can be hit or miss. Perhaps consider Whispering Canyon at WL instead? It's a lovely boat ride from MK, the resort is gorgeous and you can either order a skillet or just a la carte from the menu.

Tusker House is good, but if you aren't interested in seeing characters, you are paying a substantial up charge for a character buffet. I would consider Yak and Yeti instead (highly recommend getting a Landry's Select card so you don't need an ADR). If you really want breakfast, Rainforest Cafe at the entrance of AK isn't bad or, perhaps consider a pre-park breakfast at Boma? Great food without the character appearance costs.

Homecomin' sounds great!

You have made great dining selections -- iconic WDW dining selections know for décor, ambience, and menu.
All are dining locations to visits and check out at least once.

Warning on the Oga's cocktails -- very sugary -- maybe skip the alcoholic versions and order the non-alcoholic mocktails and save yourself some cash.

very helpful thoughts thank you! What do you like in the MK resort area?
California Grill, Citricos and even Grand Floridian Cafe is a great little spot. Steakhouse 71 is just okay for us (we prefer GF Cafe between the two). We used to love Narcoossee's, but it had suffered the same fate at Ohana. However, it recently reopened after an overhaul so we are booked to try it again (and hoping it's back up to par). As of yet, however, I don't have first-hand experience with that one.

I think you made good choices.

If you are concerned about costs and want to sub some of the AYCTE places out, you could switch Boma to Sanaa - great food, lovely atmosphere, but a la carte pricing.

Sci-Fi and B&C are great choices, IMHO.

I really enjoy Space 220, but, yes, the prix-fixe is expensive. It's a long shot, but you could try getting a lounge reservation so you can order off the lounge menu instead - you would probably need to split up your party into a table of 3 and 2, however, as I believe 4 is max for a lounge reservation. There are so many good restaurants in EP - perhaps consider San Angel Inn (nice atmosphere) or even Teppan Edo for an element of fun?

'Ohana - our last experience there was good, but it can be hit or miss. Perhaps consider Whispering Canyon at WL instead? It's a lovely boat ride from MK, the resort is gorgeous and you can either order a skillet or just a la carte from the menu.

Tusker House is good, but if you aren't interested in seeing characters, you are paying a substantial up charge for a character buffet. I would consider Yak and Yeti instead (highly recommend getting a Landry's Select card so you don't need an ADR). If you really want breakfast, Rainforest Cafe at the entrance of AK isn't bad or, perhaps consider a pre-park breakfast at Boma? Great food without the character appearance costs.

Homecomin' sounds great!
Good point about Boma vs Tusker House. Boma is $35 per adult for breakfast vs $45 at Tusker house.
So you are spending an extra $50 with 5 adults in your party.
However I would argue the time factor if OP is already in AK it might be a wash.
We had great character interactions when we have visited in the past there and if characters are a must you don't have to wait in another line for them.

Hey all, thank you so much for the thoughts and comments. Boma dinner was high on my list for the variety factor, even though I’m questioning whether $250+ for one dinner is wise. It’s probably not wise but is anything Disney? But, might consider ditching Tusker House. And maybe Space 220.

I’m glad to hear people aren’t loving Ohana dinner, as that one I was really not sure about- it may go by the wayside.

Hey all, thank you so much for the thoughts and comments. Boma dinner was high on my list for the variety factor, even though I’m questioning whether $250+ for one dinner is wise. It’s probably not wise but is anything Disney? But, might consider ditching Tusker House. And maybe Space 220.

I’m glad to hear people aren’t loving Ohana dinner, as that one I was really not sure about- it may go by the wayside.
Eat at Boma, don't listen to others. Boma is the one restaurant that I always go to on my trips. I can spend the rest of my trip eating at only counter services but I have to do Boma. If anything, get rid of Tusker House, as you said. TH is an "Americanized" version of Boma and not worth the money anymore. Since reopening, they have cut their menu significantly.

We enjoy many of your choices except Ohana. They dinner is so rushed and the meal itself is mediocre at best. The breakfast there is rushed too but the food is much better than the dinner. I've talked to some people that have experienced the same as us but a few people that have liked it but they said the same thing, it's a very rushed vibe. Feels like a cattle call. We'd rather spend the same amount to eat at a better establishment. It's a hard pill to swallow to spend over $240 for 4 on that meal when there are so many other better options for less $ or the same.

I've not tried Space either just bc the reviews have not been great and it's so expensive and tbh, the few reviews I've watched, the food doesn't look very good at all. I'd love to see the restaurant, it looks so cool but I can't justify that price.

Some of our family faves for TS are Wine Bar George, Homecomin, SciFi Dine In, Steakhouse 71, Citricos, Le Cellier and for more casual dining....Beaches and Cream, The Plaza lunch, Kona cafe breakfast, breakfast at GF Cafe...and I'm sure there are some others that have slipped my mind.

Eat at Boma, don't listen to others. Boma is the one restaurant that I always go to on my trips. I can spend the rest of my trip eating at only counter services but I have to do Boma. If anything, get rid of Tusker House, as you said. TH is an "Americanized" version of Boma and not worth the money anymore. Since reopening, they have cut their menu significantly.
Haven't been back to TH post-COVID, but I second everything here re Boma. We all love it. My daughter just celebrated her ninth birthday there on request and probably ate five plates/bowls of food. She doesn't have a huge appetite but their food is just that good and unique. Lovely atmosphere (we strolled over and watched the flamingos and giraffes after dinner) with a wonderfully diverse buffet. Most importantly for us, Boma has at least a dozen items we've never made at home and likely never will.

Unsolicited pro tip: we got a 5pm reservation and were done shortly after 6pm without feeling rushed at all. That got us out of the afternoon sun for a while and left time for strolling followed by a couple of hours for a non-AK park.

Did I miss something?

I didn't see anyone say not to eat at Boma.

I mentioned that we had not eaten there yet but did have an upcoming ADR.

@Marthasor only mentioned if the OP was concerned about cost that they could possibly switch to Sanaa.

For your Day 4 MK day, have you looked into Steakhouse 71 at the Contemporary or Skipper Canteen in MK? Both are great and way better than Ohana based on our last experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter