• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crimes at The Happiest Place on Earth...

Thanks for all the great responses, everyone! DD17 has been to WDW several times and knows her way around pretty well. While she can be a typical "flighty teenager"at times, she definitely knows when she has to be serious. She is a serious student and athlete, and knows when she has to be "on".

My gut says they would be fine, but I think we'll just play it by ear when we get there. Maybe start by them going to one attraction on their own while Dad and I go to a different one in the same general area. If that goes well, maybe they can go get lunch together while we eat nearby but at a different place. Big sister is so excited to show little sister, who has never been to WDW, the ropes! She's been saying "I can't wait to take Nat on ______" and "I can't wait for her to see ______." So, I think it will all be good, but, if at any time it doesn't feel right, we'll all just stick together.

Above all, we will DEFINITELY go over the "what to do if you get lost" plans with DD7, and big sis too, so she knows the plan. We could have DD7 carry an "info" card in her pocket/backpack with our names/cell phone numbers on it, our resort, etc. Has anyone done that?

Thanks again for all the insight!

Dinner, yes. Attractions while you are in the parks with them, yes.

But they would not be admitted into the parks alone as it is against Disney rules to allow unaccompanied minors in with adults supervision. I want to say the adult age is 21, but may be 18, let me see if I can find the official verbage.

I've never heard this, and on these threads, many have posted that their teens have slept in, and met up with them at the parks. A few years after WDW opened, my parents let me go to the Magic Kingdom (only park back then) alone, at the age of 10. I loved riding the monorail by myself! Now, I'd even let dd13 take dd7 (ds7 is a bit harder).

Cheshire Figment (the DIS's official ticket information guru) stated on an earlier thread that anyone with a child's ticket could not enter by themself, but that anyone with an adult admission (10 and over) was allowed to.

We are going in Sept and I am letting my girls (15&13) go off by themselves. Not different parks but this way they can stay away from me, our friend and their autistic brother. No fighting between the three (the girls get along better) and want to do a few shows this time that we have skipped the last couple of times (haven't been to the Hall of Presidents since the eighties. I heard we had new ones since then.)

I feel safer as Disney than I do at the high school I work for (and we have great security). Security is everywhere, in uniform AND under cover. Nothing to worry about as far as safety is concerned.

Why would they be without parents??? Just curious... (not flaming, we just try to stay together on vaca)

We could have DD7 carry an "info" card in her pocket/backpack with our names/cell phone numbers on it, our resort, etc. Has anyone done that?

My 74 year old Dad does that when he comes to visit. He likes to walk and keeps my name, address, home phone & cell phone number on him in case something were to happen to him.

On our last trip, DD13 and DS12 split off from their mother and I (we also have DS2 and DS4 months) to do their own thing several times. The only issue we had was the one time we didn't have a cell phone in both parties. The big kids decided to ride space mountain several times, due to no real wait on standby, and we didn't know. However, we'd left clear instructions on where to meet, so the rest of the family simply rose Buzz Lightyear - seven times in a row. :rotfl:

I agree with the above. You know your own kids. If you are comfortable with them being split off at the mall or such, I see no reason why they can't at WDW (at least if you are all in the same park).

this is what i feel about WDW. i lived in orlando for about 6 months. i wouldnt let my kids go 2 feet away from me in orlando, lake buena vista, kissimmee or apopka. we were going to get an apartment in windermere (where tiger woods lives). we asked about the crime in the area. they said we are not leagally allowed to give that info out. lol, we found that hysterical.

as far as WDW goes, they pretty much keep that place on lock down. like a pp said there are a couple small incidents at the water parks every year. but as far as the 4 main parks i believe your children would be super safe. my son is 13 and the only thing i would be semi nervous about would be him getting on the wrong bus or somthing small like that. i once talked to a van driver who was taking us to the DVC and he said and i quote. "crime on disney property is almost nonexsistant, now outside those gates is a completely different story"

I would be inclined to let them go. The 17 year old is almost an adult. Just make sure that that the 7 year old knows that 17 year old is in charge and both know what to do if separated.

We went to MK at least once or twice a year from the time it opened until I was in my late teens. My best guess is that from about 10 or 12 my cousin, who would have been 12 or 14, and I would roam MK on our own. My aunt and mom were in the park and we would meet up every couple of hours for more money and E Tickets. :lmao:

Our kids are getting trained to handle WDW on their own. :) I let them know which park we are visiting and then let them find the exact bus. And spot the bus. It sure is not rocket science. :rotfl: Returning to the resort is a bit harder depending on the park but they are learning the ropes.

I don't know at what age they will go by themselves but at some point they will. They might be 30 before daddy can let them go. :rotfl2: Oh, wait were were talking about going to a WDW park without parents! ;):rotfl:

Later,
Dan

My family and I went in March 2008 and I was turning 18 at the time. My family wanted to go to some mall in Florida while my two little sisters and I didn't. My sisters were 10 and 8 at the time. My parents trust me and said I could bring them to Magic Kingdom for the afternoon then since we were just leaving Blizzard Beach.

Maybe what you should do is have your dd explain to your youngest what her rules might be. Like while I was riding the buses with my little sisters, I explained to them how I wanted to always be able to see them and if places got busy I wanted them to hold my hand and they agreed with me. It made me feel better and they were just enjoying having some sister bonding time.

It ended up being great to have all that time with them and the only snag I found was after Haunted Mansion when the youngest got scared and started to cry.

It ended up not being much of a problem and my sisters and I still love to talk about our experience together and tell our parents.:goodvibes

A few years ago, my oldest - who was then 15, didn't ever want to get up in the morning, so he'd meet us at the parks after he woke up.....and after he made a trip to DtD to the The Virgin Mega Store.

This past January, my 14 year old son wandered off all the time. He even had separate ADR's a few times. :laughing: He'd just say 'I gotta go - I have dinner in a half hour'

So yes - they're fine.

Love it!!LOL

I remember reading last year about a girl who was at one of the water parks and told her dad some guy swam inappropriately next to her (I'm sure she didn't word it that way but I was trying to keep this "gross free")! By the time the dad got out to tell a CM Disney officials were already there getting the guy because they saw it on the cameras! That impressed me!

I tell my kids to find a girl worker or a "mommy" if they get lost. I feel safe at Disney but still keep my brain in check!

Tell your little one this, tell her to go to 1) a female Disney cast member. Tell her what a cast member would look like (name tags, uniform etc). Make sure that it is a female. Females are less "scary" to kids and tend to nuture more. They are more apt to diligently find the solution to her problem quickly and empathise with her delimma. The cast member can then radio others around her area to search for the 17 year old. A reunification can be made quickly. Her other option ( and I would give her both) 2) is to seek out a "mommy", a woman with kids. Again, a less scary person to a kid and a nurturer. The "mom" will not rest until the child is reunited with the 17 year old.

The 17 year old should also be in on all this as she would need to know what may be on the 7 year olds mind should this happen. The chances of this happening are slight. Make sure that they hold hands tightly when they are walking through crowded or congested areas. If the 7 year old is familiar with WDW, make sure that the kid knows where they are going (restaurant) and where they are staying (hotel). If the two kids don't get along or are having a spat at the time they are going to be doing this, I would not send them out alone. That is more chance that the 7 year old will not stay close enough to the 17 year old for comfort. In short (after such a long post) I would allow this if they are knowledgeable and mature enough in your mind to handle it. I would make sure they had cell phones and that they called you when they got to the restaurant and at times periodically during their outing. The 17 year old needs ot be a little hyper sensitive to the surroundings and have eyes on the 7 year old at all times. WDW is very safe but trouble could come in any location. The only real fear here may be simply seperation.

These are great points that I am going to teach my daughter for day to day not just DW!! THanks!

This is an age-old debate, and similar threads have popped up here for years and will continue to - and there will always be folks arguing both sides of the issue. What it basically boils down to is: Let the type of parent you are, the type of environment you've grown up in, the way you personally raise your child, and your own beliefs in freedoms vs fears dictate the rules you set for your children, and do what you feel right and comfortable doing, as long as it isn't illegal.

When you go to Disney, you can be assured that there will be parents there who don't let their kids out of their sight, there will be parents there who let their kids go off wherever they want, and there will be the occasional bad person or weirdo somewhere in the crowds. That's just the way it is. Whether or not any of those bad people would actually do something bad at Disney or in the parks - that's another story. I'm sure the law officer poster above has made some true statements and some will try to get away with bad or criminal behavior there. Other posters who mentioned some of the deterrents - heavy monitoring, large public presence, large security forces, admission gates and fees, etc - are also likely correct, in that there are probably more 'bad' people not committing any crimes or immoral acts on Disney property than ones who are.

Just go with your gut, your instinct, and your personal beliefs.

I strongly agree with those words. Could not have said it better!:thumbsup2

I think that a sensible 17 year old should be fine in this situation.

Yep. I would do it. My DH is the biggest kid of all of us and his idea of WDW is get up at the crack of dawn and go non-top until EMH is over (which in the summer can be as late as 2-4am). I try to keep the peace between he and DD (now 15), so some days I stay with him in the parks to the point of exhaustion and some days I head back for an afternoon shower and nap with the DD. Some days, we let DD ride the bus back to the resort on her own. We have done that since she was 13. I walk her to the bus stop and she has a cell phone, and she has to call when she is safely in the room. This has caused problems a few times in that she showers to cool off and crashes, with the safety lock on the door and we have had troubles waking her to get in ourselves !

We intended to bring her best friend with her this year, but it didn't pan out. However, our intent was to let the two of them kind of do their own thing part of each day.

Vacation is a time for families to spend together, I agree. But sometimes not everyone agrees on what constitutes a vacation plan for the day. I'm okay with some time on my own, or them on theirs, knowing that we have a plan to meet back up throughout the day and everyone has a phone on which they can contact one another.

Cheshire Figment (the DIS's official ticket information guru) stated on an earlier thread that anyone with a child's ticket could not enter by themself, but that anyone with an adult admission (10 and over) was allowed to.

Nope. My dd 11, used an old ticket that we bought for her a couple of years ago this past March. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge. She went down to the boat launch, text me to say she made it. Got to the gate at Magic Kingdom, texted me again after she got in - only to say that her ticket wouldn't work and the CM got her a new one. Stayed for a couple of hours - text me at every attraction she visited and then called to tell me she was on her way back. I guess it just depends on the kid. She knows to look out for anyone who is checking her out and be very aware of her surroundings. She also knows how to scream and is on the jr olympic track team ;). And most importantly has been to the parks 6 times in the last 15 months, so she knows how to get to and from pretty much any resort and park.

While I agree with the law enforcement person that the pedophiles are everywhere I don't remember ever hearing any evidence of pedophiles "flocking" to WDW. I would believe there are probably no more and no fewer pedophiles there than there would be anywhere else that people congregate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter