Cricut blades - how long do they last?

beaucoup

DIS Veteran
I haven't had my Cricut Expression all that long. Made some test cuts. Then 2 cards for birthdays. Then got started on my Christmas cards. About 32 5" cards cut with snowflake cut out in the front, and about 20 5" squares cut, the blade really started making a mess of the Bazzill paper. Tearing, skipping. I tried settings. Cleaned the cutter tip of paper & the housing to make sure the blade spins. Another cut test, and nothing. Its like not even cutting it.

So, I headed off to Walmart for replacement blades because its the closest & I need to finish these cards. They were out of blades, but did have the Deep Cut housing and blades for that. So, that's what I got.

Hopefully, I can use the Deep Cut to finish. Right? I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Hoping it at least cuts!

In my opinion, that's not a lot of cuts from a blade, but I'm new and was certainly expecting it to last longer than that.

Thoughts?

And if I'm going to be buying lots of blades, where do you buy them? And do you buy a different companies or do you buy Cricut blades?

It really depends on the paper you use, how intricint the cuts are, and the blade itself.

I have had my expression for about 3 years now- I use it for an average of 10 cuts per week (I have another machine I tend to use more often)- I used 1 blade for about the first year. I used the second blade for just a couple of months and I am still using the 3rd blade. I only put in my deep cut blade a week or so ago for 1 specific material I was cutting (shrinky dink paper) and it is fine.

Glitter paper, Bazzill and other thick cardstock run the blade down much faster than other paper. I tend to use thinner cardstock with my expression as it doesn't cut Bazzill, especially darker colors and some textures as well as smooth paper.

Rebecca

It really depends on the paper you use, how intricint the cuts are, and the blade itself.

I have had my expression for about 3 years now- I use it for an average of 10 cuts per week (I have another machine I tend to use more often)- I used 1 blade for about the first year. I used the second blade for just a couple of months and I am still using the 3rd blade. I only put in my deep cut blade a week or so ago for 1 specific material I was cutting (shrinky dink paper) and it is fine.

Glitter paper, Bazzill and other thick cardstock run the blade down much faster than other paper. I tend to use thinner cardstock with my expression as it doesn't cut Bazzill, especially darker colors and some textures as well as smooth paper.

Rebecca

Ditto to everything Rebecca said, it really depends on the paper and the cuts. I buy blades at either Jo's (you can use a coupon for Cricut accessories) or online at Cricut Machine or Die Cut Central when they have a sale. Generally if i find blades or mats on sale I stock up.

I had some really think glitter paper that wasn't cutting through with my reg blade so I used the "multi cut" button so it cut the design twice.

my blades usually last 6 - 12 months depending on how much I'm using my E,
you just have to play around with your settings when using different types of paper....

:rotfl2:
Holy Cow I am doing something wrong.

I change my blade every 2-3 months.

Bazzill really doesn't work all that great with the Cricut. At least not for long. I replace my blade about every 3-4 months. Sometimes more often. The American Craft paper cuts like buttah and doesn't require replacement as often!

Multi cut. Hmmm, I hadn't even thought of trying that when it started skipping.

Thanks for the tips. And I'll be watching for sales on blades & mats I guess. :thumbsup2

Oh, just realized the 5" card with snowflake cut out was done on textured ColorBok paper from Walmart. How is that paper with the Cricut?

It wasn't until I was done with the card part, and switched over to the 5" squares done on Bazzill paper that the problems started about 1/2 way through the production line job.

Maybe 32 cards from 2 types of thick textured paper was expecting a lot from 1 blade?

I don't use a lot of Bazzill or a lot of really thick paper so maybe that's why my blades last longer :confused3

Finally got a chance today to try out the new Deep Cut housing & deep cut blades. First I started with the Bazzill paper squares, and it still was not cutting perfectly. Finished those, then went back to cutting more snowflake cards out of the Colorbok paper, and its fine again.

So, yes, I guess its the Bazzill paper that just used up the first blade pretty fast.

Lesson learned.

I had to break down and buy an Expression for this event we were having (free 6x6 page to give out) and I had to cut out like 500 5 3/4" background mats, and about another 1500 smaller things. That was in July. Since then we have used it pretty extensively (free use on crop night to customers) and I just changed the blade in November. Most of us use Bazzill or Coredinations and rarely a problem w/cutting or tearing. Since I switched to the new blade, we've had more problems so we slowed the speed and it works great 90% of the time.

My other baby Cricut, I've had for 3 years. For 2009 I cut another 2000 items for the same event and that blade kept going. I've only changed the blade twice in 3 years.

Good luck. Don't forget to play w/your tensions and speed.

I change mine every 9-12 months on average with at least a page or two made every day on average. I tend not to use the thick cardstock in the cricut. I dont see a point. I use my bazzil for the frames and base embellishments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter