Credit from cancelling after 14 days.

dtk07

Mouseketeer
We need to move our upcoming cruise do to covid exposure. Our travel agency hasn't been the most responsive and we are coming up on 14 days to our cruise.

If we are under 14 days when they finally get around to helping us, would we get a DCL credit, the same as they offer to 15+ days out?

We are fine with a credit, we are hoping to jump on a later cruise before the price changes.

We need to move our upcoming cruise do to covid exposure. Our travel agency hasn't been the most responsive and we are coming up on 14 days to our cruise.

If we are under 14 days when they finally get around to helping us, would we get a DCL credit, the same as they offer to 15+ days out?

We are fine with a credit, we are hoping to jump on a later cruise before the price changes.
I probably would contact DCL and explain (and document, if possible) what cancellation steps you've taken and when, and that your TA isn't being very responsive to your inquiries.

Ask them what your options are.

I probably would contact DCL and explain (and document, if possible) what cancellation steps you've taken and when, and that your TA isn't being very responsive to your inquiries.

Ask them what your options are.
Good advice. But to OP also understand the situation Travel Agents are in. They don't get paid until you actually take the cruise, and the past two years in many cases they have canceled, rescheduled some cruises multiple times so their work load is up, but they haven't make a penny on the trip, yet.

You can get a full refund or change your sailing to a different one. I just had this same scenario with Costco travel - they are notoriously hard to get on the phone. If you call right when they open, it is easier to get a person on the phone, at least for Costco travel.

Good advice. But to OP also understand the situation Travel Agents are in. They don't get paid until you actually take the cruise, and the past two years in many cases they have canceled, rescheduled some cruises multiple times so their work load is up, but they haven't make a penny on the trip, yet.
Not True. If you take a refund and not a FCC they did get paid. They were even paid on some FCC's.

But that's any sales position where income comes from commission. As a partner in a retail insurance brokerage we could spend 2 weeks preparing a quote for a business only to lose it to a competitor for $100 so that's almost all sales jobs now but you still have to service the client. It worse now because of Covid as everyone is trying to cut expenses

But that's any sales position where income comes from commission. As a partner in a retail insurance brokerage we could spend 2 weeks preparing a quote for a business only to lose it to a competitor for $100 so that's almost all sales jobs now but you still have to service the client. It worse now because of Covid as everyone is trying to cut expenses
Well, two weeks work is a piece of cake compared to travel agents who in some cases have "sold" trips on the books for 2 years, and have had to redo things multiple times and no commission yet.

Not True. If you take a refund and not a FCC they did get paid. They were even paid on some FCC's.
That makes no sense.
I don't know. The travel blogger I follow says they don't get a penny until the passenger actually takes the trip. Any other Travel Agents here who can straighten this out.

Well, two weeks work is a piece of cake compared to travel agents who in some cases have "sold" trips on the books for 2 years, and have had to redo things multiple times and no commission yet.
Not a piece of cake when you multiply it by 20 to 30 per month per CSR. Just saying that's the sales game.

Not a piece of cake when you multiply it by 20 to 30 per month per CSR. Just saying that's the sales game.
My dad was in sales, but not commissioned. He would go to lumber mills, buy semi truck loads of lumber, then work to get it sold before it arrived .

That stinks that they are so unresponsive. I would make sure it’s all documented and see if DCL can do anything for you. I know that this travel agent won’t get paid, but OP shouldn’t be out their money if they can get it refunded/a credit just because this travel agent doesn’t respond. It would make me never want to recommend this travel agent to anyone

My dad was in sales, but not commissioned. He would go to lumber mills, buy semi truck loads of lumber, then work to get it sold before it arrived .
I'll bet he still had to make his numbers. Tough job!

Since they're poorly responsive, I recommend waiting until you're within 14 days & then canceling due to your Covid exposure, and taking a full refund instead of moving the cruise.

That way you won't have to work with this agency any more, and if a good rate for another cruise shows up, you can easily use your money to book that cruise yourself online. The refund for my 14 day Covid cancelled cruise showed up in my account in just a few days.

Last edited:
That stinks that they are so unresponsive. I would make sure it’s all documented and see if DCL can do anything for you. I know that this travel agent won’t get paid, but OP shouldn’t be out their money if they can get it refunded/a credit just because this travel agent doesn’t respond. It would make me never want to recommend this travel agent to anyone

Call the owner. They’ll take care of it. If the owner isn’t responsive or if this is a situation where someone has purchased a franchise and is technically the “owner,” then call Disney. The booking always belongs to the client and in these cases, they will absolutely help you. But I’d go to the owner first.

Call the owner. They’ll take care of it. If the owner isn’t responsive or if this is a situation where someone has purchased a franchise and is technically the “owner,” then call Disney. The booking always belongs to the client and in these cases, they will absolutely help you. But I’d go to the owner first.

It is a franchise deal. I think I'll try their mothership tomorrow and see what help I get, otherwise Disney next. Unfortunately the money started out with a Disneyland trip booked prior to covid (leaving out names they are known for Disneyland ticket/hotel packages) and would have been dinged with a fee to take out our money. Next time we go back to Costco.

Geez, I didn't know TA's do not get paid until the cruise starts. I guess it makes sense but now I feel bad about bothering them with 'confirming' questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter