Creame Freshe, I hope I am spelling it correctly.

chessie

DIS Veteran
Years ago I had a friend that was a French pastry chef. She used to make Creame Freshe as a fruit dip. She told me how to make it but I didn't write it down. I think it may be more of a method rather than a recipe. I have looked but can't seem to come up with anything. Anyone know what I am referring to and or how to make it.

You can find it now in some supermarkets or at least gourmet markets.

You can also substitute a good sour cream in recipes.

Creme Fraiche - a matured cream in which natural acids have fermented and with time will thicken and takes on a slight nutty flavour with a slight tang
A pasteurised cream will not develop in the same way, so you do need to use fresh cows cream to make creme fraiche, unless you have access to a particular culture to produce a similar result. There is some produced commercially, it will keep for up to 2 weeks and will not curdle on cooking. A substitute is to add 1 tblsp plain full fat yoghurt to 150ml cream with a fat content of at least 30% in a bowl in warm water (bain marie) to heat slightly to activate the enzymes. Remove it from the water, cover and place in a warm spot. It takes about 12 - 36 hours. Chill before using - it will thicken further. Add sugar (brown?) or honey to sweeten. To whip 1/2 cream, 1/2 finely crushed ice and beat until thick. Mix it with prepared horseradish or mustard with finely chopped spring onion to serve with meat; mix with beetroot and orange rind in soup; in mashed potato; spread over chicken or fish before grilling, use in salads - a combination of mayo and creme fraiche, in scrambled eggs or an omelet; pasta sauces; stir through lemon cheese or custard for a dessert sauce; mix with banana, coconut, lemon and mint as a samba with curries; cucumber, onion and basil.

sometimes it also spelled creme fraise

we can buy it in the supermarket over here - it's a bit like sour cream but not so sour. I used it in recipes that call for sour cream quite often (you can get lo-fat crem fraiche, where as you can't get the lo-fat sour cream quite so easily)

if we can get it here, I would have thought it was available in the US

Bev

I seem to remember my friend saying something about adding buttermilk to the cream and letting it sit on the counter for a few days. She always had a batch made up and we would sit on her deck at the shore dipping fresh strawberries into crem fraiche. mmmm

I honestly haven't looked at the supermarket, since most people would look at me as if my hair just turned purple when I mentioned it. I assumed it was something ethnic.

I will have to check the grocery store, Maybe the "Gucci" Giant, as we call it.

cHESSIE. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. JUST TODAY I ASKED AT OUR LOCAL GROCERY STORE FOR IT AND GOT THE LOOK OF, " WHAT IS SHE TALKING ABOUT". THEY TRIED TO SEND ME TO PRODUCE, DELI, AND A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT PLACES. I KEPT EXPLAINING TO THEM IT IS A FORM OF SOUR CREAM. THERE IS ONE STORE IN OUR AREA THAT I CAN GET IT, BUT IT IS OUT OF THE WAY AND A REAL BOTHER TO GET TO, BUT WILL HAVE TO GO IF I WANT IT. I HAVE HAD IT ON A COUPLE OF OCASSION AND I LOVE IT. I LIKE SOUR CREAM, BUT THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER.

THEY USE THIS ON THE COOKING CHANNEL A LOT.

Hey Chessie....I just moved from maryland in May and i was wondering where your "Gucci" Giant wa. we had one as well so I was just wondering if it would be one and the same

I just found this which sounds like it might be what you are talking about:

Creme Fraiche tips
Creme Fraiche
- Stir 1 teaspoon cultured buttermilk into 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) heavy (whipping) cream. Cover tightly.
Leave at warm room temperature until thickened, about 12 hours.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
It will keep for up to 1 week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter