• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crazy to consider quick New Year's trip???

Nanabug02

DIS Veteran
OK, my hubby said we can go for a quick trip after Christmas to see the Osbourne lights one last time and for the New Year's fireworks. I love the idea of it, obviously, but is it insane to do it?! I know how bad the crowds will be.... I really don't need to ride anything but PotC and HM.

What do you think? Worth it? If so, any tips???

Thanks in advance!

Nope, not crazy at all! We were at WDW for 10 days around Easter this year. When we heard that it was the last year for Osbourne lights, we booked a quick trip right before christmas. We're going to MK one day and then DHS the next day. We also tacked on a legoland day because we've never been since we never leave disney property when we go since it's so cheap to add another disney day. We're anxious to see what such a short trip is like. If we enjoy it, we may plan a short trip next year for MNSSHP!

You know about the crowds, so you can plan accordingly! I'd love to go for NYE. My kids are just too young for that right now.

Haha. Nope. we decided to do the same... Planning to go 12/31-1/7, but hoping that the crowds will drop off significantly after New Years. It was the only time that would fit with my boys wrestling schedules. :( So... We are going. I figure my youngest is 11. I don't have to push a stroller anymore, and I think we are finally to the point where we can handle it. I made fast passes for NYE at Epcot, but other than those I don't plan on riding anything... just wandering around and enjoying the sights.

Thanks for the encouragement - I knew I came to the right place! I did run into a snag though. Almost all the resorts are booked up, I should have known! We usually like to stay in the MK area, but there isn't much left. Hmmmmm..... I just submitted a DVC rental request to see if there is any availability with that.

It's not crazy. I personally won't do it because you pay premium prices to deal with ridiculous crowds but you'll have a great time if you don't have a big list of must do's. Go for it!

Keep trying.....my payment date for arrival 12/25 (45 day mark) is November 10th....using that you can estimate for when you want to arrive....I bet there will be people who decide at the last second that they can't make the trip. Sorry, not me though...you can't have my rooms ;)

We love our New Years visits but we are frequent visitors too - with FP+ at least we know we will get in 3 rides a day. Be prepared for huge crowds but with extended hours and special events IMHO its worth it. We usually visit MK on the 30th for the "pre NYE" show and then Epcot on NYE as it seems to hold the crowd better and offers lots of live entertainment in addition to the usual attractions.

As for resorts - don't forget the Dolphin/Swan as they often have good rates and may not be full yet. You won't get DME or dining but you get all the other onsite perks and you can walk to two parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter