Craziest table mates you have had.

I am sure it's about one of people who treats a doll like a real infant. example -

Are there actually people on the cruises that do this? I've never seen it, but that would freak me out. I did see a woman on one of our cruises with a baby stroller full of stuffed animals she took everywhere though. But this woman actually packed for these dolls? Oh my......

I have not seen this on a cruise, but obviously others have. Once, I did see a woman changing a diaper of one of these dolls on a bathroom changing station in the Magic Kingdom, while a person with an actual infant waited to use the changing table.

It is sad. I know people will try to defend it but there is something going on if it has gone beyond a collectors thing. I know for some it is an anxiety crutch and others an inability to healthily transition after a loss. My father's wife's mom (I have no clue how else to say that haha she's not my step-mom at least not in my mind as my father is barely a father) does this and I was force to deal with it for a year. I'll be honest I hated giving into this whim. It felt so unhealthy to me that she wanted us to feed and talk to these babies and needed baby sitters for them if she was leaving the house with out them. So glad I'm not dealing with it any more.

I have not seen this on a cruise, but obviously others have. Once, I did see a woman changing a diaper of one of these dolls on a bathroom changing station in the Magic Kingdom, while a person with an actual infant waited to use the changing table.

Now that's just wrong!

It is sad. I know people will try to defend it but there is something going on if it has gone beyond a collectors thing. I know for some it is an anxiety crutch and others an inability to healthily transition after a loss. My father's wife's mom (I have no clue how else to say that haha she's not my step-mom at least not in my mind as my father is barely a father) does this and I was force to deal with it for a year. I'll be honest I hated giving into this whim. It felt so unhealthy to me that she wanted us to feed and talk to these babies and needed baby sitters for them if she was leaving the house with out them. So glad I'm not dealing with it any more.

Is it because she never had children or lost a child? I wonder if some of these women get to an age when they realize they can no longer have children and this is their replacement. One doll is sad enough, but to travel with a bunch takes a lot of patience for sure!

Is it because she never had children or lost a child? I wonder if some of these women get to an age when they realize they can no longer have children and this is their replacement. One doll is sad enough, but to travel with a bunch takes a lot of patience for sure!

For the woman I know who does it I think it is because all her children grew up and moved out and she had pretty much all the signs of dementia. When her husband died is when it peaked. I have no clue what it is like now but I know they have facebooks that are maintained so I imagine it has just gotten worse as she has gotten older.

Once, I did see a woman changing a diaper of one of these dolls on a bathroom changing station in the Magic Kingdom, while a person with an actual infant waited to use the changing table.
Whoa! Now that's just wrong! I would have definitely said something if I was waiting to change my one of kids and saw that happening in front of me!:sad2:

Whoa! Now that's just wrong! I would have definitely said something if I was waiting to change my one of kids and saw that happening in front of me!:sad2:
While it may seem mean at the time and outrageous behavior. I feel sorry for anyone that needs to conduct the behavior.

I would hope they would grow out of it, possibly even heal from it, possibly because of a SIDS case, miscarriage, or unable to have children in general and unable to adopt. While I may feel sorry for them. I can't condone the behavior, I can have a little leeway though as to possible reasons.

JW

Are there actually people on the cruises that do this? I've never seen it, but that would freak me out. I did see a woman on one of our cruises with a baby stroller full of stuffed animals she took everywhere though. But this woman actually packed for these dolls? Oh my......
I have seen similar things on the ship. I've seen a lady who had Barbie dolls that she took around the ship and changed their clothes and posed them for pictures. I've seen a couple who had a pair of Duffy the Disney Bears they took with them everywhere and changed their outfits--even had small lifejackets for the lifeboat drill--including bringing them to dinner and having them sit in high chairs (not at our table thankfully). We also once were on a cruise where a lady dressed like Pluto the whole time, as in she wore a headband with Pluto ears and a Pluto nose, also carried a large plastic bone with her.

I have seen similar things on the ship. I've seen a lady who had Barbie dolls that she took around the ship and changed their clothes and posed them for pictures. I've seen a couple who had a pair of Duffy the Disney Bears they took with them everywhere and changed their outfits--even had small lifejackets for the lifeboat drill--including bringing them to dinner and having them sit in high chairs (not at our table thankfully). We also once were on a cruise where a lady dressed like Pluto the whole time, as in she wore a headband with Pluto ears and a Pluto nose, also carried a large plastic bone with her.

OMG, for real? How did she eat with the Pluto nose on? Almost makes one wonder if they're not being punked.

Not sure if this counts but I met a couple one year at dinner and loved them. So we set up a cruise with for the following year. They brought their parents and her brother. Her brother happened to be a tattoo artist. I happened to have a love of tattoos, so I started traveling from MA to PA and staying with them (they literally cancelled my hotel room and insisted I stay with them) to get tattooed by him. Some of the nicest most genuine people I have ever met in my life. Friends forever because of the Disney cruise :chat:

I am sure it's about one of people who treats a doll like a real infant. example -

so, do they pay DCL cruise fare for the dolls? I could only watch the 1st 3-4 minutes of that video... I'm freaking out about the money and time wasted on packing that diaper bag.... I don't get that at all. Wow! What if they put the same effort and resources into foster children, or pets.. or something..... wow, I'm so shocked

Is "shocked" really the proper description? :smooth:

---Paul in Southern NJ

Yikes, after all this, I hope we get a table by ourselves. We are a family of 7 travelling together, so maybe it will make it easier?

I don't think it is stranger danger or the internet or whatever. Some people are more introverted. That is pretty much me, DH, FIL, MIL, oldest DS (the younger two may be different). We can socialize and be polite, but it is emotional work which I'd rather not do on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter