Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

• Cozumel (Magic)

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Grand Cayman (Dream)

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters

JM_97

DIS Veteran
Which would you pick for a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise, and why/why not?

The Dream because imo she's a slightly better ship (Aqua Duck, Remy, better Rainforest Room, other bells & whistles), and Grand Cayman because it is a less common port for DCL to visit than Cozumel. Win Win.

Cozumel. We've done 3 cruises that had both ports on their iteneries. We were able to dock at Cozumel all 3 times. Had to skip GC twice because of bad weather. I also think Cozumel has more variety for excursions.

One other thing to consider. If you stop at Castaway Cay, there is a noticeable difference in the number of people on island on the Magic/Wonder vs. the Dream/Fantasy/Wish. We much prefer the smaller ships at CC. That said, you can't go wrong either way :)

I chose Magic even though I do like the Dream amenities better. I made this choice based on the DCL excursions which I think has a better variety in Cozumel than Grand Cayman. Both are very beach oriented but you have a few more opportunities for cultural experiences with Cozumel.

However, if you want to treat the ship as your main destination and ports are just a sprinkle of flavor, Dream is your ship. Sports Deck, Rain Forest Room, Adult Bar area, Adult Pool area, Midship Detective Agency, etc. Dream just offers more.

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite Caribbean ports. It’s beautiful and has some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. Amazing beaches too. The port feels very safe. Cozumel is ok. Some people are put off by the pushy shop people at the port. The snorkeling and beaches aren’t as good. A lot of the excursions are on the mainland and take a ferry and bus to get to. Some people get seasick in the ferry; it’s pretty fast and bumpy from what I hear. We missed Cozumel last time due to a tropical storm.

I would prefer Grand Cayman, but I have also been burned by the inability to visit due to strong waves. And Grand Cayman is a tender port; the ability to just walk from/to the ship at Cozumel is a +.

(We were on a 7-night and were able to have Key West as a replacement for GC. That was nice. With limits on cruise ships in Key West, that might not be an option in the future).

If you only get one port, I’d go with Cozumel.

Last edited:

I voted by ship only. I haven't been to Grand Cayman, and I haven't been to Cozumel in 15 years (although going twice next year).

We were on the Magic in March out of New Orleans & visited both Cozumel & GC. First we like the Magic far better than the Dream--the Dream doesn't handle crowds as well.
In Cozumel you can walk off the ship. As two adults, we did the Chocolate Making excursion--it was loads of fun to grind & make our own chocolate plus do chocolate tastings with different local wines. Also, we learned so much.
GC is a tender port which shortens your day there. We chose a DCL excursion that turned out to be absolutely horrible! It was a very long bus ride to Starfish beach--there is only about four feet of actual beach with no loungers there, a few starfish but lots of loud boats & jet skis coming very close to shore. The included lunch was inedible--chicken that was all bone, a tiny bit of side salad but no tables or even chairs sit on to eat; we found the remnants of an old breakwater concrete wall to sit on. Everyone was back at the bus long before time to go. Disney should be ashamed to offer such an obviously unvetted excursion. Gave feedback but they just shrugged...

Voted for Grand Cayman because it seems safer and cleaner to us than Cozumel although I do prefer the Magic over the Dream.

I would choose the Magic. The smaller ships are my favorite. I preferred Cozumel over Grand Cayman. Like other people said, much more culture and variety of excursions in Cozumel. Grand Cayman was boring. It felt like I could have just stayed in Florida. My least favorite place I've been in the Caribbean, but I like to visit places that are culturally diverse and I just didn't feel that in Grand Cayman.

I would choose Dream and GC. Prefer both the bigger ship and only went to GC once but enjoyed Stingray City and the port.

I chose Cozumel mainly because as a tender port Grand Cayman has a greater chance of being missed due to weather, which is important when you have a cruise with just Castaway and 1 port. But otherwise, I'd base it on which ship you want to go on, or which is cheaper!

Grand Cayman every day and twice on Sunday !! 🤣🤣 love Grand Cayman and the Dream is my favorite ship by far !!! I’d pick it every time ! I did not care for Cozumel and could care less if I ever went again - YMMV

What do you enjoy doing in ports? Find any activity in Cozumel or Grand Cayman that interests you?

And does ship choice make a difference?

What do you enjoy doing in ports? Find any activity in Cozumel or Grand Cayman that interests you?

And does ship choice make a difference?
After some more pondering, I think I'm leaning towards the Dream. I've done the Wonder so it would be a new class.

I'm looking for a snorkeling-type activity and it looks like they both offer similar things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter