Cozumel Safe?

Something to consider, reading these answers: Those who've been to Cozumel as part of a day stop on a touristy cruise really haven't experienced Cozumel and all its environs at all times of the day. So feeling of safety might be very different if you're going to be there for a series of days.

Something to consider, reading these answers: Those who've been to Cozumel as part of a day stop on a touristy cruise really haven't experienced Cozumel and all its environs at all times of the day. So feeling of safety might be very different if you're going to be there for a series of days.
I can only speak for myself, but I've taken several trips to Cozumel for scuba diving, staying in hotels downtown. I never felt unsafe walking around San Miguel day or night. There may be some areas of town that are unsafe at night, but I didn't personally experience that in the first few blocks closest to the water where most of the hotels and restaurants are.

I find it fascinating how as Americans we often worry about safety traveling to relatively safe areas. My DD took a Global Studies course in college two years ago which partnered her up with a few different university students from around the globe and most of their countries had warnings about traveling in the US due to mass shootings (which have sadly increased since then).

I worry about being in Cozumel less than I do about attending our local 4th of July festival or my DD being on her college campus

I can only speak for myself, but I've taken several trips to Cozumel for scuba diving, staying in hotels downtown. I never felt unsafe walking around San Miguel day or night. There may be some areas of town that are unsafe at night, but I didn't personally experience that in the first few blocks closest to the water where most of the hotels and restaurants are.
OP was asking about how it is now. I’ve been going to Mexico since 1977 and there have never been travel alerts like there are now.

OP was asking about how it is now. I’ve been going to Mexico since 1977 and there have never been travel alerts like there are now.
Well, you have me beat by about 10 years - I've only been going to Mexico since 1988 🙂.

The current "exercise increased caution" level for Quintana Roo has been in place for many years, and I've traveled to Cozumel multiple times with that caution level in place without any issue or concern. Everyone has to determine their own level of risk tolerance, but Cozumel is safer than many small cities in the US.

I feel safer in Cozumel than Falmouth. I’m currently debating whether to cancel our Jamaican excursion.

My Dad and I did the Fury Catamaran/Snorkel/Beach break, and we felt very safe the entire time. As others have said the catamaran picks you up right from the pier about 100 steps away from the Ship.

I myself would never choose to go to Mexico these days, but it was on our itinerary and the entire experience was totally fine and the excursion was awesome!

After the excursion I met my wife and our Mom's at Senor Frogs and it was lovely, followed by shopping in the port.

I feel safer in Cozumel than Falmouth. I’m currently debating whether to cancel our Jamaican excursion.

We just were there on the Fantasy and did the Good Hope Estate and it was great! I never felt unsafe the entire time either there or in the port, however I don't know which excursion you have booked.

We were in Tulum, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel last month. It is very safe in the tourist areas, which is where you will be. Even going out at night we felt safe sticking with the crowds.

We just got back from 8 days in Cancun and didn't feel unsafe. I'm not sure if Cozumel itself has the National Guard patrolling by land but Rivera Maya and Cancun, etc do. We had some going on atv's every so often on our resort property at the north end of the Hotel Zone and a helicopter flying around the coast line a few times a day. We went to Xcaret and Chichen Itza with tours by Xcaret and Isla Mujeres done by ourselves.

You do need to be aware of your surroundings and practice safe tourist actions such as how you carry your belongings. We ended up leaving our wedding rings at home for the first time but bought some cheap 5-pack silicone rings and they worked great. I think we'll probably take those to Europe with us in a few months.

We just were there on the Fantasy and did the Good Hope Estate and it was great! I never felt unsafe the entire time either there or in the port, however I don't know which excursion you have booked.
That’s our excursion, so this is great to hear!

That’s our excursion, so this is great to hear!
Yeah it's great! If you haven't been I wrote a little explanation of it in my trip report which may be helpful!

"You take a 25 minute bus ride to the old plantation, and then you are dropped at a little spot where there is a big pool with many smaller pools above it. It's sort of hard to explain but you can walk up a staircase and get in a pool with a little waterfall that kids can jump off, and then there is a pool connected to that one that you can walk into and down and down until you’re back in the main pool. Big water slide the kids loved. You can cross a rope bridge to a little area on the other side of the river where there's a little nature walk you can do but it’s not a huge long trail. There was also jerk chicken and other meats in a buffet for sale, a nice bar by the pool, a gift shop with snacks, and games like giant Jenga and giant connect four. All the kids loved it, but if you only had adults you may not end up wanting to stay the entire time. Every hour there is a bus back the ship, and half the adults left around 1pm (we arrived I think at 10:30am), and the rest of us left at 2pm. The kids would have stayed all day for sure."

You should be ok on the ship excursions. We were in Cozumel last October and a couple reported to us that they took a taxi and the driver took them to a beach club they didn't want to go (driver said the other beach club was 'closed', they later found out it wasn't closed). They felt obligated to use the beach club the driver took them to and they were charged several hundred dollars. This is apparently common with tourists. Check the US State Department site for specific recommendations and cautions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter