Covid travel UK-US ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure that the U.S. will ever appear on the Red list again. If you look at the latest from the WHO and the Economist about future travel - the general commentary is that these lists are unsustainable and make very little sense now we know more about the virus. If you already have a strain well embedded in your country, it makes little difference at this point restricting travel. Number of cases are less important when you are moving in to a phase of "living with the virus". For a host country, the only real metric that matters at this point is hospital admissions - albeit the U.S. are struggling there too. Delta is now the predominant strain in the UK and the US and is well in general circulation, so restricting the movement of people internationally doesn't really change this in a meaningful way. Where travel restrictions and travel bans can make sense is where you have a new/unknown strain and you want to slow the introduction of it in to your country (slow, not prevent - it will eventually arrive, and spread).

Hence I think we are moving in to a phase where countries are going to reevaluate the usefulness of travel bans - and I suspect we will start to see this become based on new strains of concern, rather than case numbers. Obviously my two cents as an expert in none of these things ;)

Where travel restrictions and travel bans can make sense is where you have a new/unknown strain and you want to slow the introduction of it in to your country
But that can be a problem for opening too as we are likely to see significant new strains every 6 months or so (based on current history).
Some countries could just stay shut in anticipation.

The US is pretty much self sufficient - even it's airlines can probably manage on domestic only - and is becoming somewhat withdrawn from the world, so they could adopt that strategy, for a few years at least. I don't want to get political but it will perhaps depend somewhat on what might get votes in their 2022 elections.

For a host country, the only real metric that matters at this point is hospital admissions - albeit the U.S. are struggling there too.
The US is suffering this because of low vaccination rates - 90something% of hospitalisations from Covid are unvaccinated people.
Since fully vaccinated people are very unlikely to need hospital even if infected there seems little to be gained by not allowing them to travel. Not that I can't see pushback from some parties against requiring full vaccination for entry. As above, politics plays into it despite it being a science thing. >:(

Mediterranean it is then !!!!
It's looking that way for me, also booked for end of Oct.
I don't need to pay the balance till 1 Sept, so I'm expecting a US update about travel at the end of August (assuming it will be a monthly thing) just before I decide whether to abandon hope or not.

It's looking that way for me, also booked for end of Oct.
I don't need to pay the balance till 1 Sept, so I'm expecting a US update about travel at the end of August (assuming it will be a monthly thing) just before I decide whether to abandon hope or not.
Yeah we are due to pay 5th Sept so hopefully by then we will know for sure.

My balance payment is due on the 20th of August. I called Disney yesterday to check what should I do. They advised to call back before paying on the 20th - it is possible that they will provide an extension. And if not I was assured that if we can not travel we will be able to get the money back (they mentioned free cancellation 7 days before arrival).

they mentioned free cancellation 7 days before arrival
It's a bit hard to find but this page is one that covers it:
Update on Walt Disney World Resort Operations — Including Theme Parks and Water Parks
I was trying to find the one I got a few days ago which was slightly different, but maybe they updated it.

EDIT. Found it - it's on the UK site in the FAQs here:
Frequently Asked Questions
Currently the third Q down "I have an upcoming stay at a Disney Resort hotel. What does this mean for my holiday?"
You need to read it carefully as it covers several permutations of when booked and when visiting in only a few lines.

Last edited:
Rebooked till next June from this November. Partly because I can now fly from Edinburgh but partly don't want as much stress. Still need to decide on hotels mind.

Only cost £100 more for the 3 of us on virgin upper. But yeah anticipating the hotel being more. But more time to save and will probably add Universal as my little one will be a bit older.
Yeah if we cancel we will probably book a Universal hotel rather than Disney as my boys will be nearly 10 rather than the 7 1/2 they were when we booked originally May 2020.

Ive just booked the first 10 days ADR for October and typically have got reservations for BOG, Le Cellier and Boma which tend to be harder to get, no doubt the holiday will be cancelled now :(

Yeah if we cancel we will probably book a Universal hotel rather than Disney as my boys will be nearly 10 rather than the 7 1/2 they were when we booked originally May 2020.
I had may 2020 too. She'd have just been coming up to 3 then. Will be 5 while we're away. Plus has randomly got into things at that park like Minions and Trolls.

BA just canceled my December flights :rolleyes2
I see from DFB that the federal masks on public transport, etc directive has been extended from mid-Sept to Mid-January.
I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes that will go public soon ... Would fit with my expectation of some sort of monthly 'update' on travel.
If I'm right it won't be what we want to hear :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter