Covid Testing for my unvaccinated 4 year old?

Polynesian27

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

I'm a bit confused about the covid testing prior to our Wish cruise in August. I have three kids, my 10yo and 8yo are fully vaccinated. But, my 4 year old is unvaccinated. The website says the following: "Guests ages 4 and under, who are not vaccine-eligible because of age, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (paid for by a parent or guardian) taken no more than 3 days before their sail date. Children ages 4 and under will also be required to complete a test at the terminal prior to embarkation (paid for by Disney Cruise Line)". So, does this mean I have to test him 3 days before our trip and then he gets tested again the day of our trip at Port Canaveral? Thanks so much!

Yes, the current policy requires you getting him a test no more than 3 days before the sailing, and Disney Cruise giving him a test at the port before boarding.
Ok thank you so much. I'm just worried because he is technically eligible so they won't turn him away entirely right? The wording on the website is just confusing.

You are right that the current policy does not directly address the ability of under 5s to be vaccinated, at least in the US. For now, you are exactly right about the tests required, and no one can be exactly sure what will change, if anything, once the policy is updated.

Ok thank you so much. I'm just worried because he is technically eligible so they won't turn him away entirely right? The wording on the website is just confusing.
Very much so! Disney has not acknowledged that this age group has been approved for vaccines in the US. My 2yo son will be fully vaccinated when we sail and I sent an email to DCL asking if he'll only need to test two days beforehand like everyone else vaccinated, but they have not responded.

DCL has not updated their policy since before vaccines became available to the little ones. Agree it is a poor choice of wording, considering their delay in acknowledging vaccines are now available. Just be aware that the test your child needs 3 days prior to embarkation must be a PCR or NAAT test, not antigen. The rest of the family can do a proctored antigen test 2 days prior if you so choose. Or you can all choose to test at the port, but only the little one's test will be free.

Also, if your cruise is 5 nights or longer you child will be tested again the last night of your cruise. They will come to your cabin.

I just noticed you’re on the Wish, so this doesn’t pertain to the OP. Still good to know

Also, if your cruise is 5 nights or longer you child will be tested again the last night of your cruise. They will come to your cabin.

I just noticed you’re on the Wish, so this doesn’t pertain to the OP. Still good to know
Although the Disney website still states this, this was not my experience last week. The COVID test for my son showed up and then disappeared from my app. I asked Guest Services and they said they are no longer doing debarkation testing. YMMV.

Although the Disney website still states this, this was not my experience last week. The COVID test for my son showed up and then disappeared from my app. I asked Guest Services and they said they are no longer doing debarkation testing. YMMV.

wow, that’s new. I really wish dcl would update their know before you go. That’s something people would like to know. its been a couple months since our last cruise and things change quickly. We leave again in 5 weeks.

wow, that’s new. I really wish dcl would update their know before you go. That’s something people would like to know. its been a couple months since our last cruise and things change quickly. We leave again in 5 weeks.
I agree. I even checked the Know Before You Go after we got back to see if it was updated, it wasn't. I asked my cruising group on FB if everyone had the same experience. 3 people responded that they didn't have to test either, but 1 person said that did have to test, which I thought was strange.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter