COVID Testing close to Aulani for Inter Island Travel

StacyB1000

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at Aulani for 3 days before flying to the Big Island. We believe we need to get tested before we fly out to avoid quarantining. Does anyone know the closest test site to Aulani (we don't have a car here) that can get us back results in time? Appreciate any help. Thanks!

Would it be a possibility to fly first to the Big Island (i.e., directly from the mainland to the Big Island) and then from there go on to Oahu? That would make your life much simpler, as you would not need to get a 2nd Covid test when flying into Oahu. Just a thought in case that might be a possibility for you.

Thank you so much for responding. Great suggestion. Unfortunately all of our hotels and airfare are booked.

Interested in hearing if anyone knows of anywhere since we’ll be in a similar situation, heading to Maui after Oahu. Good luck!!

I literally just did this (went to Aulani then flew to the Big Island three days later). It is doable, but very very easy to screw up or end up spending way too much money. Here are some flags to make sure everything goes smoothly (and free of charge):

1) Don't got to the closest testing site, go to the testing site that will make the 72 hour state requirement every time. Many testing sites fail on the 72 hour interisland turnaround time and will tell you they can't promise hitting the deadline. For example CVS/Longs 5 miles away from Aulani is is a popular option, but also notorious for missing the 72 hour deadline and pushing you into quarantine.

2) Many testing sites charge $200/test and will code it so it isn't reimbursable by insurance.

3) Some testing sites refuse kids under 10-12 (e.g., CVS), but all kids over 5 have to have a test. So, if you have kids under 12, you need to make sure that the testing site takes young kids.

4) Some test sites produce reports that can't be read by the automated State of Hawaii Safe Travels system, potentially complicating your travel and pushing you into quarantine.

After many hours of research, the only testing brand that hit all four criteria (free, kids under 12 okay, basically garuntuees the 72 deadline, produces a test report that automated State system reads) is Walgreens. We used Walgreens, got the PCR test results back in 40 hours for all kids and adults, got them auto approved by the State website, and it was free for all. Use Walgreens.

Now, there are two catches, 1) Walgreens appointments fill up fast (other inter island travelers are onto the Walgreens secret) and get posted at different times by different stores. They get posted about 48-72 hours ahead of time, but you have to keep updating the website and grab appointments ASAP. We ended up driving all the way to Kailua for our appointment, but it was a fun drive and we had some awesome breakfast burritos over there. There are five closer than Kailua to Aulani (i.e., in Uber distance), but you have to snag the appointments super fast. 2) I think Walgreens still requires you to pass screening questions to get tested (one of them is super broad like "have you interacted with anyone that had Covid symptoms in the last 14 days?") so many qualify. Not sure what happens if you don't meet any of the screening criteria.

Last edited:
Unfortunately our 3 days falls over a weekend so we are concerned. Can't thank you enough for sharing this valuable information. Your post was super helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks again for you taking the time to help.

Unfortunately our 3 days falls over a weekend so we are concerned. Can't thank you enough for sharing this valuable information. Your post was super helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks again for you taking the time to help.

I don't think the weekend matters, they are still testing and open. There are plenty of non-tourism interisland travelers and the state has a compelling need to make sure people can get the tests they need for any day of travel. Only real worry should be getting the appointments when they open.

If you are staying on DVC points, it might be easier to rent a car for the trip because parking at Aulani is free and will expand your options at getting a test (and we easily saved like $200 on food by going to Costco and Target 5 miles from Aulani). However, if you aren't staying on DVC points, parking is expensive and a rental car may not be worth it. IF you aren't looking to rent a car for your trip, Uber or renting a car for just a day may be cheaper--Ko'Olina has several options for a 12 hour car rental including at Aulani, and a pretty cheap Enterprise at the Marriott next door.

IMO, Big Island is definitely worth the headache though--you can see lava/lava glow right now in Volcanoes National Park, everything like beaches and restaraunts were like half filled, stuff is way cheaper--you basically get some of Hawaii's best without the crowds.

Finally, forgot to mention, if your test is delayed, some of the interisland airlines (e.g., Hawaiian) will do a free even exchange to a later flight that day or next so you don't get stuck in quarantine at your destination. This doesn't change the 72 hour test-flight requirement, but does help of you only get your test 48 hours before flying and are still waiting on it.

Last edited:

You have been SO helpful. Very excited about this trip and looking forward to seeing lava. A first for me! I am staying using points so helpful to learn the parking fees are free. Just booked a car after reading your post. Really good to know that you can postpone the inter-island flight in a worst case scenario. If you do fly and go into quarantine, can you come out of quarantine as soon as you recieve your results? Thanks again for your kindness and help.

You have been SO helpful. Very excited about this trip and looking forward to seeing lava. A first for me! I am staying using points so helpful to learn the parking fees are free. Just booked a car after reading your post. Really good to know that you can postpone the inter-island flight in a worst case scenario. If you do fly and go into quarantine, can you come out of quarantine as soon as you recieve your results? Thanks again for your kindness and help.

You can come out of quarantine as soon as the state approves your test result on their Safe Traveks portal, which sometimes takes a day. But, it may interfere with renting a car or doing other stuff because some vendors check the approval. As long as you have 2-3 days from testing to flight you should be fine.

IL is no longer requiring COVID test if you are vaccinated on return. That's good news , I think more will start opening up soon ... hoping winter travel 2021 will be easier. I'm ready for some normalcy as I'm sure we all are. :)

IL? There is talks of either Spring or Summer (looks like it might be summer) when Hawaii will recognize vaccinations. We are heading there in May so hoping for Spring. Here is to some normalcy!

I’m sure someday soon we will all have to show a vaccine record card for price of admission. Let’s see how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter