Covid positives flown from Mexico to CA, Newsom makes 1 billion mask deal

:confused: This is very confusing, if it's actually true. I'm not sure how reputable that particular source is. It makes no sense and the people discussing it are not "officials" of any kind. The entire report is anecdotal and the details are very sketchy:
  • are the patients being brought in American citizens being repatriated or not?
  • is this a humanitarian effort or something else?
  • is the State mandating their arrival or are individual hospitals "inviting" them?
  • where will they go when they are released from hospital?

And, like everything else in the American health-care system (which I fully admit to not understanding clearly) there seems to be some sort of financial gain at play.

... And, like everything else in the American health-care system (which {I} fully admit to not understanding clearly) there seems to be some sort of financial gain at play. ...

Somewhat OT but put here to put things into perspective:

Two years ago, "Shriners Hospitals for Children flew six children who suffered severe burns after a volcano erupted near the capital of Guatemala to Texas. ... 'They were all admitted to our intensive care unit for critical burns.' That ICU is in Galveston, TX."

Last edited:

Ok, I'll bite. If you do internet research about the spike in COVID-19 cases and people being brought from Mexico, you will see that it is the border towns (El Centro / Imperial Valley) and that many of them are US residents or green card holders that live in Mexicali. So, they are going to the closest hospital facility to them, which is now overwhelmed that they have to request assistance from nearby counties, who then get overwhelmed themselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/us/coronavirus-border-mexico-california-el-centro.html
Oh and the fed have rejected the mask certification due to a “documentation control” issue.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Gavin-Newsom-s-nearly-1-billion-mask-deal-15309354.php

I was looking for Riverside County numbers (since that's mentioned in the article) and came across this.

Last edited:
The post is from a poster that I believe has had an involuntary vacation in the past. And watching the video, the woman says the flights are coming from Imperial County. Last I checked that was in the state of California, not Mexico. So someone needs a geography lesson. For those that don't know Imperial county isn't a big city county like say Los Angeles or Orange. 50% of the jobs there are in agriculture. It is 80% hispanic. And the woman said she doesn't really know whether they are Americans or not, just that some of them speak Spanish and that someone told her they weren't. Seems to me a county 80% hispanic might have some Spanish speakers in it. Imperial county, like many rural counties in America, does not have nearly the hospital facilities that the big cities do. And they're full up. So yes, patients are being flown from there to other places. Yes. American citizens are coming back from Mexico to get treatment and crossing at the border in Imperial county (some of them have had ambulances waiting.) Now I have no doubt that some non citizens are being treated. Essential workers are in fact allowed to cross the border. And yes, they are essential. Imperial County is top 5 in Artichokes, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, cantaloupes, alfalfa hey, alfalfa seed, sweet corn, beef cattle, and cattle breeding. Yup. Much of the food that a lot of people eat comes from there and the workers simply aren't in a position to shelter in place.

Last edited:
Wait.....

Did the mods really delete my post, where all I did was literally copy/paste the “About” section from the source (ourwatchnow.com) of the video linked by the OP?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter