Covid positive- now what?

Even when testing was required, Disney allowed for "recently recovered" guests to board without a negative test, if they could show a positive test taken between 11-90 days prior to sailing. The presumption was that you were sufficiently recovered and non-infectious after 10 days, but would potentially have trouble testing negative before 90.
Thanks. Do you know if it needed to be a proctored PCR test? I'm assuming photos of each person holding their home test probably won't work...

I tested positive 3 weeks before my EBTA (b2b) last year (when they were still doing testing before boarding). While it was a stressful three weeks, it ended up being a blessing in disguise because I had my Doc note that said I was recovered and didn't have to test. So when everyone was stressing out in the terminal, we waltzed past with the other recently recovered folks, lol.

Anyway, for your piece of mind, I don't know if they still exist, but I did an online doctor appointment to get a piece of paper that specifically said I was recently recovered and may test positive still so don't test me. It was $75 per person, I spoke with a doc online and they emailed me the official paperwork I needed to give to Disney. Your own doctor might give you something too, which would be easier, but wasn't an option back in the deep darkness of Covid times.

Wishing everyone a quick recovery!!
Thanks. What company did you use? Did you use their doc or your own provider?

I just want to clarify: I'm not saying OP should go if they're still feeling sick., and I'm not questioning why they took a test in the first place. But if it's been three weeks and they're symptom free, I genuinely don't understand what the problem is. When negative COVID tests were required, I could see the potential for an issue as it's possible to test positive for a long time after recovery (which is why they allowed 90-day recovery exemptions). But since COVID testing is gone, I guess I just don't understand the issue h

The OP stated concern is over what the health screening questions are. If they have to say they are "covid-symptom-free," but they still have loss of smell or taste (OP's example), are they somehow going to be denied boarding

I don't think any of this is going to be an issue, but that line of thinking seems to be the reason for the thread.

Does anyone know what exactly is being asked for health screen these days? That might help put the OP's mind at ease.

The OP stated concern is over what the health screening questions are. If they have to say they are "covid-symptom-free," but they still have loss of smell or taste (OP's example), are they somehow going to be denied boarding?

I don't think any of this is going to be an issue, but that line of thinking seems to be the reason for the thread.

Does anyone know what exactly is being asked for health screen these days? That might help put the OP's mind at ease.

Thank you, yes, you've stated the concern better than I did in my original post. Besides the health questions on the day of sailing, my worry is if one of us has a persistent cough or sniffle and we get "reported" to a doctor. If they do a home test, it'd probably be negative but if it's a PCR test, it could be positive. But it wouldn't likely be a "new positive", it'd just be leftover from our earlier infection.

While it's not explicitly stated as such, this list is meant to denote new onset of symptoms (within the past ten days). Someone who's had a lingering cough for two weeks (totally possible with COVID) or ongoing loss of taste/smell would be fine. Again, I know it's not written that way so it's confusing, but when these questions are asked it's meant to be recent, new symptoms.
Thanks. That's a reasonable interpretation of the question.

Thank you, yes, you've stated the concern better than I did in my original post. Besides the health questions on the day of sailing, my worry is if one of us has a persistent cough or sniffle and we get "reported" to a doctor.
I don’t think this would ever happen. Every time I’ve cruised, pre and post 2020, there were people everywhere coughing constantly (and they always seem to be seated near me in the theater lol). I think the only thing that would be reported is public vomiting, because that could mean noro and they would want you to isolate. As long as all of you feel ok on the day of your cruise, you should be fine.

Thanks. Do you know if it needed to be a proctored PCR test? I'm assuming photos of each person holding their home test probably won't work...
I think back then it did need to be documented by a proctored PCR test. Since it's no longer policy, if you were tying to convince a cruise official that you had a recent infection, who knows? I haven't heard about any recent boarding denials related to COVID, though. I can't imagine you'll have any trouble.

I think back then it did need to be documented by a proctored PCR test. Since it's no longer policy, if you were tying to convince a cruise official that you had a recent infection, who knows? I haven't heard about any recent boarding denials related to COVID, though. I can't imagine you'll have any trouble.

No one is asking or checking. THe question is back to normal pre covid days for current symptoms and its all up to th eperson to answer truthfully. If you say yes then they will take you aside to discuss and see if its reason to deny board or not.

Not all coughs, throwing up, fever are due to contagious infection.

I hadn't heard the word covid in forever, not till this thread, no one talks about it locally or really seems to test.

No one is asking or checking. THe question is back to normal pre covid days for current symptoms and its all up to th eperson to answer truthfully. If you say yes then they will take you aside to discuss and see if its reason to deny board or not.

Not all coughs, throwing up, fever are due to contagious infection.

I hadn't heard the word covid in forever, not till this thread, no one talks about it locally or really seems to test.
Have you sailed in the past few months? It would seem as recently as Spring 2023, your first statement may not be accurate. As pointed out in this thread, the pre-cruise questionnaire that every DCL cruiser must certify asked if you have recently tested positive for COVID or currently have any symptoms. I believe this remains true of many major cruise lines.

And while Disney hasn't yet sailed to Australia (they will in a few months), many lines still require pre-boarding COVID tests for many cruises into and out of Australia.

Have you sailed in the past few months? It would seem as recently as Spring 2023, your first statement may not be accurate. As pointed out in this thread, the pre-cruise questionnaire that every DCL cruiser must certify asked if you have recently tested positive for COVID or currently have any symptoms. I believe this remains true of many major cruise lines.

And while Disney hasn't yet sailed to Australia (they will in a few months), many lines still require pre-boarding COVID tests for many cruises into and out of Australia.

guess you would have to actually test to know if you do. I don’t know anyone personally that still tests back to probably a cold mentality here

Thank you for this explanation. My worry is that a cough or sniffle from one of us might concern staff and we'd be referred to the ship's dr who would ask us to test and we'd show up positive due to the current infection. I imagine for the greater safety of others, they'd make us isolate for the rest of the trip...?
I went on the Wish last year and they pipe in some kind of perfume into the airways that was really strong in the lobby. That immediately set off my allergies. My eyes got red and teared up, my nose kept running, I had a cough. All of the typical allergic reaction symptoms. No one said a word to me when they saw me miserable. I did actually have to speak to them about it and move to a balcony room to get fresh air. I had an inside stateroom and it was miserable.
IDK why any hotel or cruise ship uses perfume in the ventilation system.

I went on the Wish last year and they pipe in some kind of perfume into the airways that was really strong in the lobby. That immediately set off my allergies. My eyes got red and teared up, my nose kept running, I had a cough. All of the typical allergic reaction symptoms. No one said a word to me when they saw me miserable. I did actually have to speak to them about it and move to a balcony room to get fresh air. I had an inside stateroom and it was miserable.
IDK why any hotel or cruise ship uses perfume in the ventilation system.

I had Covid last summer. Some disinfectant that is used always makes me think of Covid. I smelled a similar smell when I had it. Heavy perfume also has a tinge of that. I think it might be related to formaldehyde, which is used in embalming and is a common allergen. Not to mention that those smells and cigarette smoke trigger my allergies anyway. Nasal stuff is just so weird.

I had Covid last summer. Some disinfectant that is used always makes me think of Covid. I smelled a similar smell when I had it. Heavy perfume also has a tinge of that. I think it might be related to formaldehyde, which is used in embalming and is a common allergen. Not to mention that those smells and cigarette smoke trigger my allergies anyway. Nasal stuff is just so weird.
What was used on the Wish is clearly some kind of "air freshener" style perfume. It smelled like cheap old lady perfume. I have a hyper sense of smell so that doesn't help me at all. But it was strong enough that it would stick to people's clothing and hair since I could smell it on some people as they walked past me in other parts of the ship. I spoke to guest services and they spoke to someone about it and were told that they could not turn it off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter