• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid on rise in uk / borders shutting again?

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
I may come across as a worrier and I do worry a lot in my nature but with all this talk about Covid on the rise and plan b in the news. Do you think borders will close and holidays aboard will be banned again this winter? I have a trip planned just after Xmas/ New Year’s Eve and I don’t think it’ll happen after all the Covid talk in the news this week. Also I think if uk don’t close borders France might just ban you tourists again if they see the uk is bad again? What are your thoughts?

It's possible. And with how the relationships between France and the UK are at the moment, my guess is it is more likely that France will close the borders for UK tourists, than the UK government closing the borders.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

It's possible. And with how the relationships between France and the UK are at the moment, my guess is it is more likely that France will close the borders for UK tourists, than the UK government closing the borders.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I have to agree. The whole relationship of the EU with UK is not very smooth, specially with France. You still have time to cancel (up to 7 days prior to the trip). If you see that things are looking bad by early december, it might be good to cancel and plan for a trip during summer months, which tend to be better on the covid side of things.

This echos my feelings too. We have a trip booked for february (originally booked for May 2020, then rebooked to May 2021 and now Feb'22 is all we can do as it's DD's GCSE year and May is just too close to her exams!!!!!) and I am so worried that our 'prime minister' will not enforce a lockdown in time to stop us becoming unwelcome all over the world again, plus am not too sure now how well France is doing with its vax programme? I am trying to keep positive despite the countdown on the fridge having to be scrapped and reset 3 times!!!!:rolleyes1

That's really encouraging 😊 news. I am still putting together warm disney outfits in my imagination and looking up restaurant menus to decide where to spend our Plus meal vouchers... It's gonna happen THIS time!

I only hope this wave behaves like Texas/ Florida. It burns through in 2-3 months Here in Germany it’s really bad. Mostly school kids. At this rate by end this year I hope numbers crash down as simply either one has had it or is boosted.

even as number go up and up people are still having big parties, events and going out. No lockdown for those vaxxed.

Here in NL at the moment you only need a QR code to get into a restaurant/(movie)theater at themeparks etc. not for the park itself. But it is on the table now, to add these locations, think zoos, museums etc. as well to ask for a QR code for access.

Tomorrow it's 11/11 and in the South it's a big moment. The start of the carnival season. Many cities/villages have cancelled their event, but not all. It's going to be tricky with our numbers. Government is completely torn. Not wanting to force people to take the vaccine, but penalizing those who are vaxxed is also not what they want.

Here in NL at the moment you only need a QR code to get into a restaurant/(movie)theater at themeparks etc. not for the park itself. But it is on the table now, to add these locations, think zoos, museums etc. as well to ask for a QR code for access.

Tomorrow it's 11/11 and in the South it's a big moment. The start of the carnival season. Many cities/villages have cancelled their event, but not all. It's going to be tricky with our numbers. Government is completely torn. Not wanting to force people to take the vaccine, but penalizing those who are vaxxed is also not what they want.

Exactly the same here in Germany and you are so right in what you say.

I’m in a similarish boat, but I’m not going until early March. But if they shut down any borders, who knows when they’ll reopen. I don’t want to rebook this trip again. This trip is actually a trip rebooked from a Kenya October 2021 trip that got rebooked from a Kenya March 2021 trip. I decided it would be easier to go to Paris with the flight credit lol but maybe not after all.

We're visiting in mid-December. We're staying at Les Villages Nature and spending time at Disney and I admit I'm getting worried about the borders closing. The accomodation is non-refundable.

Even with how bad it is going in Europe, I wouldn't be too scared for closing borders, unless a new variant appears in France. I think the coming weeks we will be all focused on Omicron.

For those interested, this week the Dutch travel industry filed a case at the Dutch court. Saying it doesn't make sense that flying to outside of Europe is discouraged, while there are plenty of non EU-countries doing a lot better than Europe. We have a traffic light system, Europe is yellow (you can travel but be cautious), basically the rest of the world is orange (do not travel unless you really have to). The travel industry asked for more international destinations to be put on yellow to boost the tourism industry.

The judge rejected it. But still.

I'm guessing they'll do their best to keep everything open at least until January 7th, which is when the low season officially starts around Europe. However, I think they might bring back restrictions but they'll try to keep everything up and running as long as possible.

No no no, i refused to accept i won't be going to DLP in January. Fingers in my ears. Miss it soooo much!

Well well well. I need to accept it now. Due to travel out 31st December we're going to move it to Easter, with so much negative news I just see it being more problematic and worry than worth it. Here's to a good 2022.

Afraid to say France has/is pulling the plug on UK visitors from 11pm GMT this Friday.

While the UK government is still asking for clarification it seems that even those with a 3rd jab will not be allowed in unless it's for special reasons. (Holidays are not special reasons).

This is breaking so some details are not clarified but I have reached out to DLP via twitter to clarify what UK citizens who have trips booked in the next 7 days can do. Obviously this is different to just canceling a trip as we are not allowed over the border.

Also good to know. France is working on switching to 2G, meaning only when you are vaccinated or cured to get in to restaurants, tourist attractions etc.
As of January 15th, you also need a booster shot, not sure if that is needed 5 or 7 months after your last vaccination.

Well, that's our New Year booking cancelled. Thankfully easyJet were good with rescheduling flights to April - now just need to wait for Disney refund then rebook Hotel New York...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter