Covid Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just returned home from 5 nights (June 2nd - 7th) at WDW. We masked on the plane there and back. We didn't mask at the parks and of course did plenty of indoor queues. 2 of us started feeling bad yesterday morning...flew home last night...masked...and all 3 of us tested positive.

Gotta think that there's a good chance being in some of those enclosed rooms for rides had something to do with it. Now quarantining at home.

what is still so challenging for people is that if you go on vacation it's your vacation time from work, then if you get covid and you in-person worker, you now need five more days home recovering adding onto your sick days or not getting paid. in addition, once you actually return, it's so hard to get back into work mode because you were on vacation mode then sick in bed mode . it's a long haul and makes life difficult.
That is so true! I’m so glad that I have a job where I am able to work from home, or I would have really been up a creek after our vacation.

We went to WDW May 7-14. On the 14th, my husband woke up with the sniffles and said he thought that the AC had blown on him all night. We had packed a few rapid tests and I asked him to take one to be on the safe side. It was negative so we thought we were good. We packed up the car and started the long drive home. As the day went on, his sniffles got worse, we had to stop to buy tissues and he developed a cough. We got to our hotel, I checked us in and I had him come in a side entrance near the elevator to avoid as many people as possible (and we all wore our KN95 masks the whole time). He tested again and this time he was positive. So we tried to get some sleep, packed up the next morning, I sprayed down the entire hotel room with Lysol to hopefully keep anyone else from getting it and headed home. So we get home and of course we all have to isolate. 4 days later on 5/18, our 7 yo tests positive. Then finally on 5/22, I test positive and had to continue staying home. By the time I went back to the office it was June 1st. I’m very thankful for the ability to work from home.

For what it’s worth, both me and my husband are vaxxed and boosted- I had very mild symptoms, like a bad head cold and a few body aches the first day. Husband was the sickest with head cold symptoms, cough and really painful sore throat, our 7yo had a day of low grade fever and runny nose. I’m not sure if it’s just bad luck or a weakened immune system from covid, but he also recently caught another virus with a sore throat and high fever. Tested negative for strep, flu and we checked him for covid again. I hope we are done with illness for a while. We had a great time at WDW but honestly it’s been so hard to get back to normal after that I almost wish we hadn’t gone.

That is so true! I’m so glad that I have a job where I am able to work from home, or I would have really been up a creek after our vacation.

We went to WDW May 7-14. On the 14th, my husband woke up with the sniffles and said he thought that the AC had blown on him all night. We had packed a few rapid tests and I asked him to take one to be on the safe side. It was negative so we thought we were good. We packed up the car and started the long drive home. As the day went on, his sniffles got worse, we had to stop to buy tissues and he developed a cough. We got to our hotel, I checked us in and I had him come in a side entrance near the elevator to avoid as many people as possible (and we all wore our KN95 masks the whole time). He tested again and this time he was positive. So we tried to get some sleep, packed up the next morning, I sprayed down the entire hotel room with Lysol to hopefully keep anyone else from getting it and headed home. So we get home and of course we all have to isolate. 4 days later on 5/18, our 7 yo tests positive. Then finally on 5/22, I test positive and had to continue staying home. By the time I went back to the office it was June 1st. I’m very thankful for the ability to work from home.

For what it’s worth, both me and my husband are vaxxed and boosted- I had very mild symptoms, like a bad head cold and a few body aches the first day. Husband was the sickest with head cold symptoms, cough and really painful sore throat, our 7yo had a day of low grade fever and runny nose. I’m not sure if it’s just bad luck or a weakened immune system from covid, but he also recently caught another virus with a sore throat and high fever. Tested negative for strep, flu and we checked him for covid again. I hope we are done with illness for a while. We had a great time at WDW but honestly it’s been so hard to get back to normal after that I almost wish we hadn’t gone.
Thanks for posting. I’m so sorry your trip ended that way. We go soon - we’ll use every precaution, but I know it’s really rampant right now.

You are so right! I tested positive 5/22 (we left WDW 5/20). DHs work had him work from home until he was scheduled to be tested 5/27, but he became symptomatic and was positive 5/25. He was allowed to return onsite June 6. Luckily he can work from home, but if he couldn’t that would be a lot of vacation and sick time to use.

Seem to be a lot of similar stories on this latest variant. Yes all 3 of us were vaxed and boosted...which may have helped us have such a mild case. Just the nasal issues, some headaches and slight body aches, a cough and we have each had a mild stomach issue too...just unsettled a bit. I had a lack of appetite but never lost taste or smell and I don't think any of us had a fever. We are now all getting over it, just a lingering cough and congestion.

Sadly I don't have the option to work from home with my job, so after 3 sick days used last week I'm back at work starting tomorrow. We have to remain masked at work due to high incidences of Covid in our area. I'm not looking forward to being back since I've been off for almost two weeks but at least next week is another 4 day work week.

My family of five was in WDW April 15-20. DW tested positive on April 22 after two days of mild, allergy-like symptoms (which later developed into full blown symptoms for 10 days). She was vaxxed and boosted. None of the rest of us got it (3 vaxxed and boosted, 1 too young to be vaxxed), even after a 14 hour car ride together unmasked. In the parks- we did not mask outside, but did mask on all transporation and were a little sporadic about masking in inside queues and shops. Our best guess is that DW caught it on 4/18 when she went off on her own for a bit. We were otherwise together the whole time.

Sorry to hear of infections. We’ve been twice since May, 4+ days each trip, negative on return each time.

We were there May 4th-10th, staying at Poly. KN-95's worn on monorail/busses, but did do indoor dining 4x and ride attractions, etc. My wife, myself and my 2 year old all tested positive - we thought it was a nasal drip from AC, however my toddler woke up with a fever on our 2nd to last afternoon and we decided to test. I was immediately positive and both my wife and son have tested positive since.

Feeling as well as possible - sore throat, headache - and children's motrin has been taking care of the 2 year old's fever, so hopefully it stays this way. Worst thing was cancelling our flight home to rent a car and drive 18 hours back to NJ to ensure we didn't infect others.

Appreciate your consideration of others and driving that long distance home. I’m hoping by now you are all recovered and doing well. Take care!

Sending everyone who tested positive best vibes and wishes for improved health -- it wasn't a fun time when I had it, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Went 6/2 - 6/6; KN95 masked everywhere - rides, hotel areas, queues, even outside most times - except the few times I ate indoors. I masked up before food arrived, and during gaps while eating. I also sought out or requested tables that weren't in the center of the action, even though that could've been pointless - not sure if it helped.

I also rented a car this time, and only took the bus once. Glad I did that - the one bus ride I had stressed me out a bit too much. Also nixed the monorail in favor of walking from BLT/GF.

I was most nervous during the OI Meetup at Universal - specifically to go on Hagrid's, because those caves are claustrophobic. That said, I ended up in single rider and skipped the caves entirely, which was awesome.

I wore an N95 Aura mask on the plane both ways. I really like it for traveling, and you get used to it pretty quickly.

Tested twice after I returned - no symptoms, so far so good? I think cases are starting to go down in NY/NJ or stabilizing (I hate that data isn't as prevalent now), so I hope that continues.

Can I ask people who tested positive (with vax) how bad your symptoms were and when was your last shot? I'm curious if boosting closer to the trip may offer better protection or if it's just a variant issue. Trying to decide best timing for DD booster.

Can I ask people who tested positive (with vax) how bad your symptoms were and when was your last shot? I'm curious if boosting closer to the trip may offer better protection or if it's just a variant issue. Trying to decide best timing for DD booster.
Tested positive about 3 1/2 weeks ago for the first time. I was 8 months past my booster and not eligible yet. I had head cold symptoms for 4 days. DH had aches/slight fever/ headache/ tired for about 4 days. He is also 8 months past his booster and not eligible yet—he did receive monoclonal antibody therapy. DD9 tested negative on about 6 rapid tests over 2 weeks. I am going to get a PCR on her just to make sure. If it’s negative she will get her booster because we are now going on a cruise in 3 weeks since we have 90 day recovery status.

I'm curious if boosting closer to the trip may offer better protection or if it's just a variant issue. Trying to decide best timing for DD booster.
We were both 2nd boostered about 6 weeks before our WDW trip last November.

Concerned about the level of protection for our trip, I asked the nurse who said to allow two weeks for boosted efficacy to take hold, but that it's at the strongest for 2 months, gradually waning after that.

Hope this info helps you time it.

i was boostered in November, went to disney in December and was fine. went end of April and got covid, but my symptoms were mild i just felt congested, my ears clogged and got tired really quick. honestly thought it was just a cold, especially with the clogged ears since i've always had problems with my ears when i get a cold. like i'm talking my eardrums have burst multiple times since 2002. but i did test positive 2 days after i came home

We were at WDW 6/8-6/13. Stayed overnight at MCO Hyatt on 6/13 and flew home 6/14. Masked when in airports and flying, in all inside lines and
most outdoor lines. Masked outside when in crowds. Took masks off on some rides and while eating indoors. I’m vaxed and double boosted. Kiddo, is vaxed and got boosted 2 weeks before we left for WDW. I started feeling congested on plane ride home and tested positive that day. Kiddo testing negative so far.

I got my booster Oct 4 (all Pfizer) and tested positive on December 20th (after being exposed on the 17th, and starting symptoms on the 19th). That was the original Omicron wave, so not sure if things have changed with the recent subvariants. I had my typical sick symptoms - one day of a sore throat, two days of congestion, and two days of coughing up all the gunk. That said, I had a resurgence of some chronic illness issues a few weeks later in January. Luckily it's tapered off since, but I'm not sure if it was tied to my infection. Just trying to provide as much info as I can, if that's helpful.

Appreciate your consideration of others and driving that long distance home. I’m hoping by now you are all recovered and doing well. Take care!
Thank you! A month later and everyone is doing just fine. Luckily for us the worst thing ended up being the attempt to work from home for both parents and chasing a 2 year old who felt a-ok since we had no child care. Again - I know we're lucky that we have jobs that were flexible enough to do that and that no one has any long-term effects, seemingly.

My parents are APs that live an hour away from WDW. They went on June 5th as well as June 11-12. My mom has been feeling sick the entire week (fever, a super bad cough, chills, sore cheeks to where it hurts to drink) and today she called me to say that she tested positive for Covid and has completely lost her sense of smell. I'm not sure she got it at WDW but she works from home and has not gone anywhere else before testing positive. She is vaxxed and has all of the boosters.

I was there the first week in May when many on the original postings of this thread caught Covid.
I did not. I masked up and distanced like a lunetic because I have a couple of autoimmune disorders and take a drug to tamp down my immune system. I was fine and my adult daughter was fine.

BUT my other adult daughter and son in law are literally at the Doctor's Office right now testing positive and feeling absolutely awful. (Both vaxxed and Boosted #1)
They were at Disney 2 times last week. They do not mask at all anymore.
As soon as the Nurse tended to them, the first thing she asked them was "Were you at Disney World"? ('yes")
She said between yesterday and today, 8 separate people (NOT part of a family all were sick with Covid.
All were at Disney World.

Just be careful and aware.

She said between yesterday and today, 8 separate people (NOT part of a family all were sick with Covid.
All were at Disney World.
I would imagine this greatly depends on where you live in so much as how many came back from WDW AND tested positive AND visited the same doctor. I don't think doctors here would immediately go to asking specifically about WDW. But they may ask "have you traveled recently"

I would imagine this greatly depends on where you live in so much as how many came back from WDW AND tested positive AND visited the same doctor. I don't think doctors here would immediately go to asking specifically about WDW. But they may ask "have you traveled recently"
This was the Urgent Care Cocoa Beach Doctor where they live 7 months/year. All owners/renters of the Ocean front condos travel to Disney a lot (only 55 minutes away). I snowbirded there for 3 months and so many are coming/going to Disney. It didn't surprise me one bit they asked about Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter