Covid 30 days before cruise

juxtapose

Mouseketeer
Our whole family came down with Covid this weekend confirmed with home covid tests. We leave for our cruise in 30 days. I'd like to get the exception for port testing if possible for all of us because who knows how long we will test positive. We will get an official PCR test done today. Assuming those all come back positive, do we also need a doctor's note? What should the doctor's note say? I don't actually have a doctor I see, we moved a few years ago and I never found one here, anyone have this issue and were able to get a note from a doctor they don't see yearly?

They have to be via official PCR tests. IF they come back positive then yes you need the letter from your dr. IF they don't, you're not going to be able to do anything there.

From the DCL website:

Guests Recently Recovered from COVID-19
In some cases, people who have recently recovered from COVID-19 may still test positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. If Guests have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 within 11 to 90 days of their sail date, they may qualify to be considered as “90-Day-Recovered.” With the appropriate documentation and subsequent approval, Guests considered “90-Day-Recovered” are not required to participate in COVID-19 testing during the Pre-Sail, Embarkation or Debarkation phases of their voyage.

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 within 11 to 90 days of your sail date and would like to be identified as 90-Day-Recovered, please upload to Safe Passage the following:

• A copy of your previous positive COVID-19 test result which is greater than 11 days and less than 90 days from your expected sail date. The test must have been antigen, NAAT, rapid PCR or lab-based PCR. The test result must include your date of birth.
  • A signed letter (on official letterhead that shows the name, address and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official) stating that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days and are clear for travel.
  • Vaccinated Guests must also upload proof of vaccination in addition to their 90-Day-Recovered documentation.

Bring this documentation with you to the port as well.

I would suggest calling around to various urgent care clinics and explain your situation. See if one will write a letter for you. Also, I believe most port locations are switching to the rapid antigen tests, so you’re less likely to test positive from a recovered infection. I’d get at-home test kits and test your family at say 10 days before the cruise and the day before to get an idea how you might test at port.

I would suggest calling around to various urgent care clinics and explain your situation. See if one will write a letter for you. Also, I believe most port locations are switching to the rapid antigen tests, so you’re less likely to test positive from a recovered infection. I’d get at-home test kits and test your family at say 10 days before the cruise and the day before to get an idea how you might test at port.
But if they wait until 10 days before the cruise and heaven forbid test positive they are out of luck and can't go on the cruise anymore. Since they all just got positives I'd say the best bet is getting a PCR test done for everyone and then going from there.

This. But it would honestly have been better if they'd gotten their PCR tests AT the local urgent care - then the urgent care would have a record of the tests and I'd think would be more likely to write the letters. To talk to them after the fact seems a bit...weird since they could have done the test as well.

First step is to get the official PCR tests from a lab/pharmacy.
For those testing positive, then you have to: first, be free of symptoms and then, find a doctor or clinic to write the note as per the specifications that Heather posted above. I wouldn't imagine a doctor is going to write you a note if you are still coughing or whatever symptoms you might have. (I have a reliable doctor I see, and I waited more than 2 weeks after my onset of symptoms to make sure I was better before I asked for my letter when we cruised a few months ago).

If one of the family members who tests positive on home test, for some reason is negative on PCR, I would consider re-testing them prior to the cruise (more than 11 days before) to see if their PCR is still negative. I understand the port is now doing antigen tests, but I'd hate to have a lingering or delayed positive PCR test and then show up to the port and get canceled.

Of course, this all is under the assumption that you have PCR tests available, as I understand it is much more difficult in some places than others.

But if they wait until 10 days before the cruise and heaven forbid test positive they are out of luck and can't go on the cruise anymore. Since they all just got positives I'd say the best bet is getting a PCR test done for everyone and then going from there.

I wasn’t suggesting they wait on an official PCR test, which the OP said they were doing today. It was more for peace of mind and something I’m planning on doing. Oops, I see it should be 11+ days.

I wasn’t suggesting they wait on an official PCR test, which the OP said they were doing today. It was more for peace of mind and something I’m planning on doing. Oops, I see it should be 11+ days.
haha yeah that's all I was correcting. Do it no later than day 11. :)

There are websites where you can get a teledoc appointment to issue a travel certificate. I haven't used them but if you google "covid doctor's note for travel" you can find them. They do charge but it's not super unreasonable.

*edited bc I had the terminology wrong. :)

Last edited:
I wonder if any Urgent Care clinics, like Minute Clinic at CVS, would be able to write the letter? They are nurse practitioners but can do much that a doctor can do. The wording is "licensed healthcare provider" - not "Doctor".

Your letter needs to include one of the following phrases-
See image below. My daughters letter was rejected and I needed a new one. If you can get the letter it’s great. You don’t have to test and don’t have to stress.

Attachments

• C3E46523-383C-426E-AEAD-9E486C860E85.jpeg
    C3E46523-383C-426E-AEAD-9E486C860E85.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 78
If u upload a picture of a positive result on safe passage and its within the time frame of 2 different cruises, will they keep a record of it? Or do u have to upload another copy of result and 90 day recovery letter?

My sister tested positive today and we are going on a cruise in 83 days. I want to send her a link to where the instructions are on DCL,website, and I can’t find it.

I FOUND IT! Thank you for this thread!.,

Your letter needs to include one of the following phrases-
See image below. My daughters letter was rejected and I needed a new one. If you can get the letter it’s great. You don’t have to test and don’t have to stress.
Thank you, that’s good to know! We all got positive PCR tests so now I’m just waiting a week or so to try to get letters. Did your daughter have to be seen by the doctor to verify she was recovered or did you just call and request it?

11 days before your cruise, it's unclear to me if you count the day of the test and if you count the day of the cruise.

11 days before your cruise, it's unclear to me if you count the day of the test and if you count the day of the cruise.
Count back from the cruise. If the cruise is on May 21. Then May 20 is the 1st day before the cruise....then keep counting backwards.

18 days out and my cruise companion's 12-year-old tested positive today. Hopefully if it is going to sweep their family, it does so soon! I am not as freaked out with the port testing being antigen based now, but still...

This serves as a good reminder that it is time to start being much more conscientious about my own potential for exposure. Thankfully my DD still masks at school, although she is one of very few still masking. I did take advantage of recently turning 50 and got booster #2 yesterday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter