Covid 19 WBPC cruise

Thank you. Yes, so mild and not what you hear to look for that I had NO idea!
How did you get tested? Just at your doctor's? Or were you allowed a test because you'd just come back from the cruise? So many people are just told to assume they have it, but with mild symptoms like you have, it's really beneficial to know you have it, if for no other reason than you're over that fear/worry.

How did you get tested? Just at your doctor's? Or were you allowed a test because you'd just come back from the cruise? So many people are just told to assume they have it, but with mild symptoms like you have, it's really beneficial to know you have it, if for no other reason than you're over that fear/worry.
I was quite shocked how easy it was from our nurse practitioner. I was originally looking at drive through options or labs that could do it. Then I just decided to call, and they said to be there at 12:30 and wait in the parking lot. She came out decked in PPE with a cart of supplies and swabbed us for flu and Corona per area health care guidelines. I still am in shock that I do not just have a sinus infection. The only reason I decided to even try to get us tested was being overly cautious just because I knew our exposure history, and our “quarantine” time was set to expire. And I just thought it would be nice to be safe for anybody that we may come into contact with.

I was quite shocked how easy it was from our nurse practitioner. I was originally looking at drive through options or labs that could do it. Then I just decided to call, and they said to be there at 12:30 and wait in the parking lot. She came out decked in PPE with a cart of supplies and swabbed us for flu and Corona per area health care guidelines. I still am in shock that I do not just have a sinus infection. The only reason I decided to even try to get us tested was being overly cautious just because I knew our exposure history, and our “quarantine” time was set to expire. And I just thought it would be nice to be safe for anybody that we may come into contact with.

My understanding is if you are confirmed to have been exposed it is easy to get the test... I'm glad you are having mild symptoms and hope the rest of your family are doing ok! Get well soon!

Thank you for sharing this. I came home from our Fantasy Cruise on March 7 with a cough and later what I believed to be a sinus infection. I didn’t ever run a fever, that I noticed, and it was when the guidance was you had to have a fever for it to be COVID-19.

Your symptoms sound so similar to mine. If mine was COVID-19, then I was lucky with relatively mild symptoms (cough is still hanging on, but nothing like what those who have been hospitalized are going through). I do hope there will be an antibody test at some point, so I can confirm whether I did have it.

Bless you and healing to you.

They should be able to speak of the circumstances of their own medical condition should they choose to without punishment.

The problem with that is it's too easy for the media to misconstrue what they've been told, which could make innocent comments seem anything but. It's standard practice that anything occurring in the line of duty is covered by a media policy of some sort.

Interesting list of cruise ships/cruises from the CDC website.

Cruise Ships Affected by COVID-19
Ship nameVoyage Start DateVoyage End Date
Carnival Imagination5-Mar8-Mar
Carnival Valor29-Feb5-Mar
Carnival Valor5-Mar9-Mar
Carnival Valor9-Mar14-Mar
Carnival Vista15-Feb22-Feb
Carnival Vista29-Feb7-Mar
Celebrity Infinity5-Mar9-Mar
Celebrity Eclipse*2-Mar30-Mar
Celebrity Reflection13-Mar17-Mar
Celebrity Summit29-Feb7-Mar
Crown Princess6-Mar16-Mar
Disney Wonder28-Feb2-Mar
Disney Wonder*6-Mar20-Mar
Grand Celebration22-Feb24-Feb
Grand Princess11-Feb21-Feb
Grand Princess*21-Feb7-Mar
MSC Meraviglia1-Mar8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss*1-Mar8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss8-Mar15-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway29-Feb7-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway*7-Mar14-Mar
Norwegian Pride of America*29-Feb7-Mar
Oceania Riviera*26-Feb11-Mar
RCCL Explorer of Seas8-Mar15-Mar
RCCL Liberty of the Seas*15-Mar29-Mar
RCCL Majesty of the Seas*29-Feb7-Mar
RCCL Oasis of the Seas*8-Mar15-Mar
RCCL Symphony of the Seas*7-Mar14-Mar

The most interesting item is the asterisk.

*CDC was notified about COVID-19-positive travelers who had symptoms while on board these ships.
For all other ships, CDC was notified about travelers who had symptoms and tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days after disembarking. Since these travelers’ symptoms began after the voyage, the traveler might have contracted COVID-19 during the voyage; however, other sources of transmission after the voyage cannot be ruled out.

Since it is not next to the first Wonder cruise it indicates that the report of the case was after the cruise. The asterisk next to the WBPC cruise indicates that a case was reported by the end of the cruise. So was it DCL that reported the case?

Very interesting. Didn’t the captain say they had no reported cases in the announcements?

I don’t know about that either way, but I read the text by the asterisk as meaning when the onset of symptoms was - not necessarily meaning they would’ve gone to health services and whether the ship would’ve known. i.e. Somebody started getting a sore throat and lethargic, or a low fever the last day or two and shrugged it off, but then the symptoms later got worse and they got diagnosed. (Obviously it would also include those ships where the crew was aware; just noting that I didn’t read the text as necessarily meaning that they were.)

I don’t know about that either way, but I read the text by the asterisk as meaning when the onset of symptoms was - not necessarily meaning they would’ve gone to health services and whether the ship would’ve known. i.e. Somebody started getting a sore throat and lethargic, or a low fever the last day or two and shrugged it off, but then the symptoms later got worse and they got diagnosed. (Obviously it would also include those ships where the crew was aware; just noting that I didn’t read the text as necessarily meaning that they were.)
Agreed. While I wasn’t on the cruise, I did travel home from San Diego with a number of airline passengers that were just from the Wonder. So asking those that were there. It could be self reporting or DCL, hence the question was anyone made aware, before or after debarking that there was a suspected or confirmed case.

Very interesting. Didn’t the captain say they had no reported cases in the announcements?

At the time of debarkation, the ship was thought to be free of COVID-19. It wasn't until shortly after debarkation that some began seeing obvious symptoms that clearly pointed to COVID-19 onboard. Some of us are aware of more specific details, but in the interest of protecting the privacy of fellow passengers, I won't discuss them here.

Agreed. While I wasn’t on the cruise, I did travel home from San Diego with a number of airline passengers that were just from the Wonder. So asking those that were there. It could be self reporting or DCL, hence the question was anyone made aware, before or after debarking that there was a suspected or confirmed case.

DCL notified all passengers by email on March 27 (one week after debarkation) that "a handful of guests have shared with us that they began feeling ill after returning home and have since tested positive for COVID-19". The email went on to confirm that DCL had shared those reports with the CDC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter