Cover letter- related question

starrzone

<font color=purple>Quirky with snack cakes<br><fon
It's been ages since I've applied for a job (been in my current position almost 8 years now) and I am updating my resumé and cover letter template. Should I add a digital signature at the end of my cover letter, above my typed full name? This is how it looks now:

"Blah blah blah........I'd enjoy discussing my credentials in a personal interview and hope to speak to you soon.

Sincerely,

[My real name] "

TIA for any input! I'm so nervous...I don't do well with change but I know that a change is needed, KWIM? :blush:

Depends on how the company handles applications. My daughter was shocked how many companies now have their own application form on line with no provision for attaching a cover letter or resume. All they want is for you to fill in the blanks.

Only if you apply your actual signature, not a preformed script of it. I have a password protected actual copy of my signature I apply using my PDF software.

It's been ages since I've applied for a job (been in my current position almost 8 years now) and I am updating my resumé and cover letter template. Should I add a digital signature at the end of my cover letter, above my typed full name? This is how it looks now:

"Blah blah blah........I'd enjoy discussing my credentials in a personal interview and hope to speak to you soon.

Sincerely,

[My real name] "

TIA for any input! I'm so nervous...I don't do well with change but I know that a change is needed, KWIM? :blush:

I think a real signature would be best over a digital one, if you're going to go the way of a cover letter. A cover letter helps to add a personal touch to you resume so I think a non-digital signature would be best.

Depends on how the company handles applications. My daughter was shocked how many companies now have their own application form on line with no provision for attaching a cover letter or resume. All they want is for you to fill in the blanks.

This company has an online application where you can digitally attach a resumé and/ or cover letter. Cover letter isn't required per se, but I'm choosing to include one.

Only if you apply your actual signature, not a preformed script of it. I have a password protected actual copy of my signature I apply using my PDF software.

Thanks for the tip- I did see some sites with the preformed script option. May I ask what program you use?

I think a real signature would be best over a digital one, if you're going to go the way of a cover letter. A cover letter helps to add a personal touch to you resume so I think a non-digital signature would be best.

I would definitely go this way if I were submitting a physical copy of my resumé, but this company takes online applications only. Funny, because it would be super-convenient to drop a resumé off; I can see their building from my current place of employment!

This company has an online application where you can digitally attach a resumé and/ or cover letter. Cover letter isn't required per se, but I'm choosing to include one.

Thanks for the tip- I did see some sites with the preformed script option. May I ask what program you use?

I would definitely go this way if I were submitting a physical copy of my resumé, but this company takes online applications only. Funny, because it would be super-convenient to drop a resumé off; I can see their building from my current place of employment!

But aren't you uploading a copy of a signed cover letter? Why wouldn't you just sign it and scan it in? Or are they requesting you input the cover letter information?

I still send a cover letter and tailor it to the position whenever possible. For example on Indeed, there is the ability to attach a cover letter and resume.

But aren't you uploading a copy of a signed cover letter? Why wouldn't you just sign it and scan it in? Or are they requesting you input the cover letter information?

No, I'm typing out the cover letter and attaching it along with my resume as a Word document. There is no physical copy of the cover letter.

No, I'm typing out the cover letter and attaching it along with my resume as a Word document. There is no physical copy of the cover letter.

I see. Well, I would actually type the letter in Word, print it, sign it with my real signature, and scan it back in and upload as a .pdf file.

Just for info, I am a hiring manager where I work and go through tons of resumes and cover letters. I think a cover letter is good if you need to go into depth about something about yourself that you can't get into in the resume, but, like a resume, be REALLY careful and perfect with your cover letter. I've gotten some bad cover letters and they have turned me off to the candidate.

I'll be honest, I think a cover letter typed in a Word document that's just uploaded and not crafted like a formal piece of correspondence doesn't do you any favors.

I see. Well, I would actually type the letter in Word, print it, sign it with my real signature, and scan it back in and upload as a .pdf file.

Just for info, I am a hiring manager where I work and go through tons of resumes and cover letters. I think a cover letter is good if you need to go into depth about something about yourself that you can't get into in the resume, but, like a resume, be REALLY careful and perfect with your cover letter. I've gotten some bad cover letters and they have turned me off to the candidate.

I'll be honest, I think a cover letter typed in a Word document that's just uploaded and not crafted like a formal piece of correspondence doesn't do you any favors.

Thank you! This is excellent advice. Anything that helps me stand out in a positive way is a good thing!

I use Nitro Pro for PDFs. It isn't free and you can likely do the same with a jpeg and word if you need to. I need to sign a lot, sometimes 100 documents a day, so I use a password protected digital signature to make it easy. In 2019 it is a waste of time and paper to type something up, print it, sign it, and scan it right back in.

I use Nitro Pro for PDFs. It isn't free and you can likely do the same with a jpeg and word if you need to. I need to sign a lot, sometimes 100 documents a day, so I use a password protected digital signature to make it easy. In 2019 it is a waste of time and paper to type something up, print it, sign it, and scan it right back in.

For what you do, I agree. For a formal cover letter, I think taking the time to sign it is a positive. Many people won't care, but you never know who is on the other end looking at your resume and cover letter. There's no downside to hand-signing, so personally I would recommend going in that direction should you have an old, antiquated woman like myself reviewing the cover letter.:teeth:

It is fine to have a digital signature. I just use a professional, easy to read cursive font as my signature and still type my name under it in the same font as the letter.

Some companies might put cover letters through an applicant tracking system (it searches for desired key words) before the letter makes it to a real person. The ATS software wouldn’t be able to read a scanned document. This of course doesn’t apply to every company, but it’s something worth considering when making the decision about how to apply a signature.

I totally agree that cover letters should always be customized, as much as possible, to the position and the decision maker reading it. No one is doing themselves any favors by sending out a general cover letter and only changing the name of the person it’s addressed to.

Partly depends on the company and type of job you are applying for. As others have mentioned, many companies now use online applications to provide the information historically considered part of your resume. Same may still accept an actual resume, just depends on the company. Honestly, most cover letters are fluff that adds nothing to your resume. If you just restate things already on the resume, then it serves no purpose. That is probably the main reason why companies who use online resume applications don't require a cover letter. A resume is intended to help you get to an actual interview. Resume on its own won't get you a job. Trying to customize your cover letter won't always be a good idea since in many cases you have no idea who first screens your submitted information. HR typically does that in larger companies, not the person who will actually be your boss if hired.

Companies who get a large number of applicants for a job opening will most likely NOT interview all of them. Some initial screening will cut down those numbers to a more manageable figure. Where I have been involved in the hiring process, I don't ever recall where the cover letter (or lack thereof) made any difference in who we decided to interview.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter