Cove Cafe is supposed to be adults only...

:thumbsup2 It wouldn't ruin our cruise, far from it. It wouldn't even ruin my day. Actually, it wouldn't ruin my time at all. If the kids are just talking through the area from the elevators, I understand. But if they are staying in the area and using the pool, hot tub or cafe, I'm going to alert a CM. Just as a CM would be alerted if I entered the kids clubs (outside of the open hours of course)

I agree.

I'm referring to some people here saying "I wouldn't let it ruin my cruise." I think everyone enjoys their cruise.:)

It should give the OP pause that a cruise, for a 20 year old, could be made more or less "special" by the purchase of a beverage, in a cafe, on a boat.

Unless we are talking, of course, about a special needs 20 year old.

Really? If you wait for years to be allowed a privilege then when you are old enough the restriction is ignored or done away with, you aren't allowed to be disappointed? That is a perfectly normal reaction for anyone at any age. It's not about a drink. It's about the privilege of being allowed in adult areas after following the rules as a minor and avoiding those areas being diminished by people who really don't give a care what the rules are.

Really? If you wait for years to be allowed a privilege then when you are old enough the restriction is ignored or done away with, you aren't allowed to be disappointed? That is a perfectly normal reaction for anyone at any age. It's not about a drink. It's about the privilege of being allowed in adult areas after following the rules as a minor and avoiding those areas being diminished by people who really don't give a care what the rules are.
Exactly! :thumbsup2

Maybe I'm just an old fart at 42yo, but I believe there is a difference between an adult conversation and an R-rated conversation. My impression of people who are engaged in an R-rated conversation in a public place, whether it be an adults-oriented place or a family place, is that they aren't being very adult.

Hmm, I talk about sex, drugs, drinking, offensive internet memes, weird things I see in public, creepy people who creep on me or my friends, basically just all sorts of things that no children under 14 or so should be hearing. Plus I tend to curse quite a bit when I'm only speaking to my boyfriend or my friends. :smokin:

Of course when I know children are around, I avoid such topics and clean up my language. But adults-orientated places are havens for such things. If other adults don't like it, I'm sure they can either stop listening in on my conversations, or mosey on down to the family areas. :thumbsup2

If you're definition of "being adult" in terms of conversation is talking about office jobs and how your kids are doing in school, then I definitely never act like an adult.

Hmm, I talk about sex, drugs, drinking, offensive internet memes, weird things I see in public, creepy people who creep on me or my friends, basically just all sorts of things that no children under 14 or so should be hearing. Plus I tend to curse quite a bit when I'm only speaking to my boyfriend or my friends. :smokin: Of course when I know children are around, I avoid such topics and clean up my language. But adults-orientated places are havens for such things. If other adults don't like it, I'm sure they can either stop listening in on my conversations, or mosey on down to the family areas. :thumbsup2 If you're definition of "being adult" in terms of conversation is talking about office jobs and how your kids are doing in school, then I definitely never act like an adult.

Sounds like you would fit in with my friends and I. All 5 of us are taking a cruise on the fantasy in early February. I'm sure we will talk about all sorts of things kids probably shouldn't here as say a few cruise words. 2 are current CMs and I am a former CM. We keep it very Disney when in the kids areas or public areas but in the adults area we will not cencor our selfs when we chat as friends between the 5 of us.

Shockingly that doesn't go for just us. The entertainment CMs are allowed to use the adults only areas on their off days. We saw several in the hot tub on our last 7 day cruise. While they weren't specifically talking about things that might ruin the magic for kids some kids may realize that's "Aladdin" or "Princess Elsa" and here a few colorful words out of their mouths as well.

Sounds like you would fit in with my friends and I. All 5 of us are taking a cruise on the fantasy in early February. I'm sure we will talk about all sorts of things kids probably shouldn't here as say a few cruise words. 2 are current CMs and I am a former CM. We keep it very Disney when in the kids areas or public areas but in the adults area we will not cencor our selfs when we chat as friends between the 5 of us.

Shockingly that doesn't go for just us. The entertainment CMs are allowed to use the adults only areas on their off days. We saw several in the hot tub on our last 7 day cruise. While they weren't specifically talking about things that might ruin the magic for kids some kids may realize that's "Aladdin" or "Princess Elsa" and here a few colorful words out of their mouths as well.

This is off-topic, but does Snow White get to hang out in the hot tub?

Hmm, I talk about sex, drugs, drinking, offensive internet memes, weird things I see in public, creepy people who creep on me or my friends, basically just all sorts of things that no children under 14 or so should be hearing. Plus I tend to curse quite a bit when I'm only speaking to my boyfriend or my friends. :smokin:

Of course when I know children are around, I avoid such topics and clean up my language. But adults-orientated places are havens for such things. If other adults don't like it, I'm sure they can either stop listening in on my conversations, or mosey on down to the family areas. :thumbsup2

If you're definition of "being adult" in terms of conversation is talking about office jobs and how your kids are doing in school, then I definitely never act like an adult.

I so much agree!:thumbsup2

I grew up in the 60s, when a lot of parents entertained, and hosted adult dinner parties. It was understood and RESPECTED that children were not invited. (I remember sleeping over @ grandparents homes.) I so much 'get it' now. My parents wanted to enjoy their time with friends without having to worry about kids hearing adult conversation.

I've yet to read anyone one here saying that it 'ruined their cruise,' as others many on here are stating. Posters sometimes come here to vent, but it doesn't mean they didn't enjoy their cruise.

If this is a shot at me, I didn't say people said they didn't enjoy their cruise I said I would hate it if I stressed over all of that stuff.

I will say though that had I been a newbie on the boards before our Magic cruise last November I would have thought the Magic was falling apart and been doubting our decision to go due to all the venting on the boards:rotfl::offtopic:

Same with this thread, while it is an issue at times, I don't think that the OP's original post is a big issue that happens all the time, just don't want the newbies to think that kids are regularly cannonballing into the adult pool or always hanging in the Cove

Now the chair saving on deck is an issue, maybe if pollution wasn't an issue it would be funny to launch stuff overboard if nobody uses the seat for x number of hours:rotfl2: Or maybe the CM's take the stuff and put it in lost and found to force the savers to pick it up at guest services:)

cgolf

If so, then perhaps a gate (small, decorative) that requires one to scan one's key card to enter. If it's an adult card, you enter; if it's a kids card, you don't. (That would eliminate the teens/kids entering without parents).
Reminds me of the gates they had restricting access to Concierge staterooms on the Dream (when I traveled Concierge during the inaugural season). I took a picture for a friend to see, and his comment was quite spot on. He asked... "What is this, the brig for scalawags and mutinous sea dogs? Why the cage?" I responded that it was for Concierge guests and his reply was "It keeps the riff raff, peasants, and unwashed plebeians away from the aristocracy." I guess it instantly created a caste system and even my friends picked up on what I really didn't care about.

So, the gates may not be a good idea since Disney has already removed them on the concierge decks.

I don't have an answer except that CMs need to be more diligent and perhaps some more training. I would love it that there was a attendant during the evening hours to keep the kids from running through the area.

If this is a shot at me, I didn't say people said they didn't enjoy their cruise I said I would hate it if I stressed over all of that stuff.

I will say though that had I been a newbie on the boards before our Magic cruise last November I would have thought the Magic was falling apart and been doubting our decision to go due to all the venting on the boards:rotfl::offtopic:

Same with this thread, while it is an issue at times, I don't think that the OP's original post is a big issue that happens all the time, just don't want the newbies to think that kids are regularly cannonballing into the adult pool or always hanging in the Cove

Now the chair saving on deck is an issue, maybe if pollution wasn't an issue it would be funny to launch stuff overboard if nobody uses the seat for x number of hours:rotfl2: Or maybe the CM's take the stuff and put it in lost and found to force the savers to pick it up at guest services:)

cgolf

No, it wasn't directly at you, as I saw more posts a few pages back. If anything, a 'friendly' shot, of pixie dustpixiedust:

I'm all for the suggestion of the chair-saving. May I be the first to toss things overboard?:rotfl2:

Reminds me of the gates they had restricting access to Concierge staterooms on the Dream (when I traveled Concierge during the inaugural season). I took a picture for a friend to see, and his comment was quite spot on. He asked... "What is this, the brig for scalawags and mutinous sea dogs? Why the cage?" I responded that it was for Concierge guests and his reply was "It keeps the riff raff, peasants, and unwashed plebeians away from the aristocracy." I guess it instantly created a caste system and even my friends picked up on what I really didn't care about.

So, the gates may not be a good idea since Disney has already removed them on the concierge decks.

I don't have an answer except that CMs need to be more diligent and perhaps some more training. I would love it that there was a attendant during the evening hours to keep the kids from running through the area.

They did have them on the concierge sun deck which was nice, but as for the adult area on the ship while it would work, I think it would become a pain and become a chokepoint. Not to mention all of the different access areas they would have to gate off. Might be easier to have staff watching the access areas and not even allow people to walk through with kids.

They could make the door to the cove card access only, it already is goofy how you open the door on the fantasy since it doesn't auto sense someone standing there.

cgolf

I so much agree!:thumbsup2

I grew up in the 60s, when a lot of parents entertained, and hosted adult dinner parties. It was understood and RESPECTED that children were not invited. (I remember sleeping over @ grandparents homes.) I so much 'get it' now. My parents wanted to enjoy their time with friends without having to worry about kids hearing adult conversation.

61wWcHMOZ4L._AA160_.jpg
?

Again, as others have said, the parent should be the one teaching the child right from wrong, and that they should not even have been in the adult area.

We all know that there are always parents on these cruises trying to find ways to get around the rules (as in: "they don't mean me"). With that said, if the parents don't have enough sense to obey the posted rules, it still falls on the CMs to enforce them! As previously said, if Disney wants to attract the adults -- even those sailing kids free -- then they need to come through with the promise of an adults only area! And by telling CMs they aren't allowed to ask kids to leave the area or tell kids not to block a bathroom, then it becomes a no win situation for everyone and we can forget about a complete kids free area at all!

Cast members are allowed to tell guests it isn't allowed a lot of them just don't care because it will be a new round of guests 3/4 or 7 days later. I myself in my 2 years as a parks CM I always heard why bother the annoyed guest will never see that again or will probably be gone soon any ways. It's kind of sad.

Here's a story in which the kid was better behaved than the parent. This happened before the fireworks where going to start. I was making my way up the stairs up to the bar area about the adult pool on the Dream and I had just passed the sign saying that no one under 18 was allowed in the area. A mom and 2 young kids (probably about 8-10 in age) were right behind me. One of the kids saw the sign and told the mom that they couldn't go up the stairs because they weren't old enough. The mom told them that nobody would say anything and just I was about to turn around and say that the kid was right and that they weren't allowed but kids said they didn't want to get into trouble and told they mom they had to go somewhere else. Reluctantly the mom turned around and took them back towards the family area. At least the kids knew right from wrong!

My dh and I will be doing a b2b 7 day in September. I will be disappointed if rules aren't being followed. We have children, but never allowed them near the adults only sections. Why do people feel rules do not apply to them? :confused3

Because if they enforce every rule to the T, DCL wouldn't be half-as-fun for the families as it currently is. If the kids aren't being disruptive, they will never ask them to leave, specially if they are just "passing by". Same when I hear people complaining of all the kids passing by "quiet" cove pool. Well, I'm truly sorry to inform you that DCL designed that pool in the Dream-class boats right in the way from the forward elevators and where all the family fun takes place (pool, aquaduck, Cabanas, etc.). It's simple, really. If you do can't handle kids around, you should not travel in DCL.

Because if they enforce every rule to the T, DCL wouldn't be half-as-fun for the families as it currently is. If the kids aren't being disruptive, they will never ask them to leave, specially if they are just "passing by". Same when I hear people complaining of all the kids passing by "quiet" cove pool. Well, I'm truly sorry to inform you that DCL designed that pool in the Dream-class boats right in the way from the forward elevators and where all the family fun takes place (pool, aquaduck, Cabanas, etc.). It's simple, really. If you do can't handle kids around, you should not travel in DCL.

That's not the point. If DCL does not want to claim the offer adults only areas then they shouldn't claim it or label things as such. The adults only area is actually not near cabanas. The only thing it is actually near is the concierge rooms. Everyone else would have the same distance walk by going to the mid deck elevators or stairs that don't spit out into the adults only area.

I don't mind if your kid quietly walks through but I better not get side eye or nasty remarks if your kid hears an adult conversation or a curse word.

Also no matter how quiet the kid is some CMs will still kick them out. One both DCL cruises we went on kids were not allowed to stop and as soon as they did CMs reminded them to continue walking through to the family pools.

That's not the point. If DCL does not want to claim the offer adults only areas then they shouldn't claim it or label things as such. The adults only area is actually not near cabanas. The only thing it is actually near is the concierge rooms. Everyone else would have the same distance walk by going to the mid deck elevators or stairs that don't spit out into the adults only area.

I don't mind if your kid quietly walks through but I better not get side eye or nasty remarks if your kid hears an adult conversation or a curse word.

Also no matter how quiet the kid is some CMs will still kick them out. One both DCL cruises we went on kids were not allowed to stop and as soon as they did CMs reminded them to continue walking through to the family pools.

Most kids on all our trips pass by or sometimes briefly stop to take or return an item from/to the parents and leave. I've seen some try to linger and their parents took them out on their own. Also, and to be fully clear, there's nothing more noisy than "quiet" Cove pool. It's actually much quieter by the Aqualab, at least in the Fantasy, than it is in the Cove pool area, specially during day-at-sea. Anyway, my point still stands. If you are annoyed by the presence of kids (even in designated adult areas), you are choosing the wrong cruise line.

As for asking people to go walk in a lower stateroom deck so they can get to Midship the pool is entirely unreasonable. There's a ton of staterooms in the forward area, there's the WDT, the shops, etc. It's a faulty design/decision to have the adults area there -- period. You can't blame parents and kids for walking through the adult area for a bad decision on DCL's end.

Exactly! It's a copout to say that DCL isn't fun if the kids don't have the complete run of the ship and if you don't like kids don't cruise on DCL. There is a very small portion of each ship that is adults only, and DCL markets to the adult market with their advertising of those areas. When my kids are at their clubs, I want to be able to go some place where I don't have to listen to anyone else's kids either. I bet the same parents would be up in arms if DCL started letting all adults into the kids clubs during normal secured hours. Adults don't belong in those areas, just like kids don't belong in adult areas.

Most kids on all our trips pass by or sometimes briefly stop to take or return an item from/to the parents and leave. I've seen some try to linger and their parents took them out on their own. Also, and to be fully clear, there's nothing more noisy than "quiet" Cove pool. It's actually much quieter by the Aqualab, at least in the Fantasy, than it is in the Cove pool area, specially during day-at-sea. Anyway, my point still stands. If you are annoyed by the presence of kids (even in designated adult areas), you are choosing the wrong cruise line.

As for asking people to go walk in a lower stateroom deck so they can get to Midship the pool is entirely unreasonable. There's a ton of staterooms in the forward area, there's the WDT, the shops, etc. It's a faulty design/decision to have the adults area there -- period. You can't blame parents and kids for walking through the adult area for a bad decision on DCL's end.

Just back from a B2B on the Fantasy, and we didn't find this to be true. We were on the pool deck in various locations in those 14 days. The pool area (that's all areas on the Donald/Mickey/AquaLab spaces) were extremely noisy, crowded and slippery with kids (as well as adults) not paying attention to where they were going and yelling to each other across the width of the pools/ship. In the Quite Cove area, we could sit and read and others talked quietly in the pool, hot tub or seated in the chairs/loungers. Much more serene.

I agree that the location for the forward elevators in relation to the adult area is not a good one, but kids just walking through quietly isn't an issue for us. Kids who "stop by" to drop off/pick up something, have a conversation with mom or dad, or "just want to see what's here" looky-loos need to be reminded to keep moving out of the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter