• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couple of Budget questions

joxer1014

DIS Veteran
Turns out that the cheapest rental for me in mid January is Budget. I have been using Hertz or Alamo because of the ability to pick your own car and usually get an upgrade. So far Budget has been 20-30 dollars less than the other two using my AARP discount and Fastbreak.

What I would like to know from the Budget veterans is this:
Standard vs Fullsize, is there a difference like the way it works with Alamo? Reserve standard and automatically get fullsize since there is no standard aisle? The price for both are the same.

If you choose fullsize do you get a possible upgrade or do you get an assigned car and if you dont like your assigned car can you ask for another one?

I am already signed up for Fastbreak but never used Budget. Will they make me go to the counter first or can I go right to the garage? This is the make or break with maybe going with Alamo instead for the 20 to 30 dollars more.A

Also, how are the lines at the counter if I have to go there first? Just an average day, not this month with the holiday crowds.

Thanks everyone!

Turns out that the cheapest rental for me in mid January is Budget. I have been using Hertz or Alamo because of the ability to pick your own car and usually get an upgrade. So far Budget has been 20-30 dollars less than the other two using my AARP discount and Fastbreak.

What I would like to know from the Budget veterans is this:
Standard vs Fullsize, is there a difference like the way it works with Alamo? Reserve standard and automatically get fullsize since there is no standard aisle? The price for both are the same.

If you choose fullsize do you get a possible upgrade or do you get an assigned car and if you dont like your assigned car can you ask for another one?

I am already signed up for Fastbreak but never used Budget. Will they make me go to the counter first or can I go right to the garage? This is the make or break with maybe going with Alamo instead for the 20 to 30 dollars more.A

Also, how are the lines at the counter if I have to go there first? Just an average day, not this month with the holiday crowds.

Thanks everyone!
We usually get standard. Last time that was a Toyota Corolla. Once we were upgraded to Rav 4. But they did not have a cover so our bags were visible in the back storage space. We did have to go to the counter despite Fast pass. We were told it was because too many bookings and they had no staff. This also happened to us with them at TPA airport so it seems like an ongoing issue.

You usually get what you pay for with those cut-rate rental companies. Some only have off-site rental locations which can be a pain to get to. Others have recently eliminated the feature where you can go directly to your car without waiting in any lines. It is worth a few extra dollars for me to not have to put up with that. Make sure whatever rental company you plan to use has the type of arrangements at the airport where you plan to do the renting to avoid surprises or delays.

I would always reserve the appropriate size vehicle for your party. There is never any guarantee of free upgrades to larger vehicles, regardless of what your experience has been on prior rentals.

If you've never used fastbreak before, its likely you will still have to visit the counter first, so they can get a copy of your insurance, drivers license, your first born, etc. before they just let you drive off. For just 20 dollar savings, I'd stick to your tried and true.

^^ I agree. I believe with most rental companies you have to visit the counter your FIRST time for them to enter certain information into their computers, you can't do that online ahead of time. They want to verify you are who you say you are, have a valid driver's license, verify your name is the same as the person on the reservation, etc.

If this is your first rental with Budget, you'll have to go to the counter. What that line might look like is anyone's guess. Sometimes it's short, and sometimes it's very long. Never count on an upgrade. Typically you get to pick from a row for your rental (standard/fullsize is usually something like a corrola or malibu.)

Decided to go with Alamo. Just got an email with offer for $15 off $175 or more . So with the insider discount and the $15 its only $10 more than budget for a midsize SUV and alamo has skip the counter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter