Country Bear ‘Musical’ Jamboree: Treat or Travesty?

I hate this.

Another good decision, executed in entirely the wrong direction. CBJ needed some love, but Disney could have loved and livened it up with a remastered soundtrack, better speakers, some massaging of the script and lyrics to better adapt them to diverse audiences, and even some "new" stuff -- that would be new recordings of some old American folk standards celebrating the same brand of corny humor, to replace the blood/murder songs that we know are problematic. They could even create some seasonal versions of the show that would close with an old-timey holiday song and a special lighting package. They could update the old animatronics to reduce the squeaking and clacking and synch up mouth movements with the music better.

Instead, I've got to steel myself for "L.L. McGrowl," post-legal-name-change-and-lip-reduction-surgery, crooning, "The Family Madrigal" to a synthesized beat, followed by Big Al's rock 'n' roll rendition of "Let It Go," and a special appearance by Trixie, singing, "Tears Will Be The Chaser For Your Coca-Cola, The Official Soda Brand of Walt Disney World," performed while wearing a tasteful shirt. (Pleasepleaseplease let this be hyperbole.) 🥺

Last edited:
Travesty. Universal is building a new park and all me get is reimagined rides/attractions. Iger has to go the way of Dinosaur....

Hardly anybody goes in there anymore. Show is funny in parts but whole thing is really tired. Took my kids this year, 8 and 13, and they just found it to be odd and forgettable. So yeah, bring on the update.
That's better than my 15 yo's reaction. She went in to escape a rainstorm and had no idea what it was. She now claims to have been traumatized by, as she put it, "giant malfunctioning hairy robots -- wearing hats!"

I love the Home on the Range soundtrack so if that came true, I'd love it

You know, I had avaoided that movie because of it's bad reputation, but when D+ came along I gave it a shot. It's actually pretty decent. The Yodeling scene is amazing, and very classic Disney styled!

What are your thoughts on the reimagined OG opening day E-Ticket Country Bear Jamboree, the so-called Country Bear "Musical" Jamboree? I'm not sure I need to see the Country Bears singing "Let it Go," if that's what they're thinking of doing.
I am a former cast member who worked at Country Bear Jamboree in the lat 70's and early 80's when there were always full shows during the day and hour lines at Christmas and Summer.

The "edit" that was did in 2012 killed energy in the show. Five minutes, 25% of the original show was removed. Admittedly, some of it was so politically incorrect that had to. The fat shaming dialog with Trixie, Buff and Max got open laughter from the audience in the 70's and early 80's, but started to offend people mid-2000.

But don't forget, this is not the first time they have changed the show. There was Country Bears Vacation Hoedown that ran from '86- '92 and Country Bear Christmas that ran a few times during the holidays.

The original show was amazing, but the cut down version is not. But even with the cut down version, there are still may politically incorrect things in the show, not that I have a problem with any of them. But if you think about it, "Mama don't whoop little Buford" is about instead of beating your child you should shoot him with a gun, Big Al is clearly drunk singing morbid lyrics about blood being everywhere, and then the finally is literally the drunk bear comes back after he has already performed the terrible song, the entire cast comes back to downed him out, and when it doesn't work they close the curtain and beat him up.

Yea... I'm not offended, but it's time for the show to change. Fingers crossed they make a good new show and NOT like "under new management" in the Tiki Room.

I am a former cast member who worked at Country Bear Jamboree in the lat 70's and early 80's when there were always full shows during the day and hour lines at Christmas and Summer.

The "edit" that was did in 2012 killed energy in the show. Five minutes, 25% of the original show was removed. Admittedly, some of it was so politically incorrect that had to. The fat shaming dialog with Trixie, Buff and Max got open laughter from the audience in the 70's and early 80's, but started to offend people mid-2000.

But don't forget, this is not the first time they have changed the show. There was Country Bears Vacation Hoedown that ran from '86- '92 and Country Bear Christmas that ran a few times during the holidays.

The original show was amazing, but the cut down version is not. But even with the cut down version, there are still may politically incorrect things in the show, not that I have a problem with any of them. But if you think about it, "Mama don't whoop little Buford" is about instead of beating your child you should shoot him with a gun, Big Al is clearly drunk singing morbid lyrics about blood being everywhere, and then the finally is literally the drunk bear comes back after he has already performed the terrible song, the entire cast comes back to downed him out, and when it doesn't work they close the curtain and beat him up.

Yea... I'm not offended, but it's time for the show to change. Fingers crossed they make a good new show and NOT like "under new management" in the Tiki Room.

I always assumed "Little Buford" was a dog. Not that you should shoot the dog, but it's just a joke anyway.

Last edited:
I always thought the crashing noises were because he'd fallen over.

Once again, BrianL you nailed it. Though I do think we need to keep Blood on the Saddle. I mean, c'mon! (No, he is not drunk.)
"Let It Go" - Hear me out, imagine a very hillbilly style for this song - the stark difference would be surprising and fun!
Kind of like The Gourds' version of "Gin n Juice"? That would be awesome.

Once again, BrianL you nailed it. Though I do think we need to keep Blood on the Saddle. I mean, c'mon! (No, he is not drunk.)

Kind of like The Gourds' version of "Gin n Juice"? That would be awesome.

Oh, I do love Blood on the Saddle. I suppose you could still have Big Al interrupt with it. Honestly, I like the whole show as it is, but I understand the need to change it too.

I'm indifferent. Haven't been to it since probably 2015ish. If I had a vote I would say put in something new which is probably an unpopular opinion. I would also get rid of CoP and Speedway as well so...🤷‍♂️

I'm indifferent. Haven't been to it since probably 2015ish. If I had a vote I would say put in something new which is probably an unpopular opinion. I would also get rid of CoP and Speedway as well so...🤷‍♂️
Cop is outdated but is worth its stay for the historical significance
Speedway should at the very least get plussed up with a sugar rush reskin

Cop is outdated but is worth its stay for the historical significance
Speedway should at the very least get plussed up with a sugar rush reskin
Yeah. I know folks get pretty defensive about CoP. Also you can find a go cart track just about anywhere. If anything it should be updated to electric. Sorry for getting OT.

That's better than my 15 yo's reaction. She went in to escape a rainstorm and had no idea what it was. She now claims to have been traumatized by, as she put it, "giant malfunctioning hairy robots -- wearing hats!"

I remember the attraction from my first visits to WDW in the 70s; saw it as an adult about a dozen years ago, and haven't gone back, it was just creepy IMHO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter