• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Counterfit Disney Dollars

2angelsinheaven

Loves making dreams come true!
I was watching the local news tonight from Orlando and they had a story regarding Counterfit Disney Dollars. They said they are in the WDW parks and a memo had been sent out to all Disney employees... here is what I found on Mouse Planet. Be careful everyone when buying these from sources other than Disney itself. I've seen Disney Dollars on EBay so they could be real or they could be one of the fakes going around, just a heads up...Sad! :rolleyes:

"Walt Disney World has released an internal security memo informing cast members that counterfeit Disney Dollars have appeared in the resort. According to the memo, these fakes are realistic-looking color copies of the real bills. However, while genuine Disney Dollars are printed with shiny color-reflective dots near Tinkerbell, the counterfeits have glitter glued around the area. The memo notes that this glitter can be felt by touch, and we assume the fakes use inferior paper and lack the lightly raised ink of real Mouse currency.

As counterfeiting becomes easier with technology, Disney may be facing the same issues—albeit at a smaller level—as the U.S. Secret Service in keeping one step ahead of counterfeiters."

Oh that is sad! How rotten! I hope it doesn't turn into one of those things that ruins it for everyone! I love my Disney Dollars!::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

That is so sad. :( It really makes me sad and angry that people are doing this. I hope they find out who is doing this and put them in there place. I just don't get some people sometimes :confused:

I don't doubt for one moment that Disney Dollars have more than adequate security features in their currency... probably more than most real countries' bills!

I would think so too, the sparkles on the front, hologram, etc. BUT apparently they are circulating in WDW right now ... someone or several people were able to pass them off.

It's probably just a problem that doesn't happen much, so they never check. I'd imagine passing off a Disney Dollar would be easier than passing off a fake 50 or similar!

Thanks for the heads - up!! Fake Disney Dollars...That's just wrong!!!!!!:(

There are some people who will seize any and every opportunity to defraud others -- and making a pile of fake Disney $$$$ is just one such example. IMHO, it really is no different than those who pass their 3-year old off as younger in order to avoid paying the price of admission. Fraud is fraud.

When we purchased Disney Dollars from our local Disney Store a few years ago, my husband and I thought there's no way these could be counterfeited because of all the detail! Guess we were wrong.

Diznee25

When Disney Dollars are properly purchased, are they always new? Or do people get them back as change where it is easy for a counterfeit one to be recirculated?

Seems like we should never purchase Disney Dollars from third parties. (Counterfeit or misrepresented park passes are out there for sale too) If someone asks you to redeem their surplus Disney Dollars because you are going to WDW now and they are not, you can always take and spend the Dollars first and reimburse him when you get back.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

That's sad that people are now trying to conterfeit Disney Dollars. I guess there's all kinds of people out there that will try anything dishonest. I've never used them. The only times we've gotten any were when they give you one back for turning in a stroller for the deposit. We just kept ours and put them in the scrapbook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter