Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip! Updated 11/8!

July 6, 2013 Part One - Target Shenanigans and AK AM!

The next morning we got up at 7 so we could get ready and stop at Target before rope drop at Animal Kingdom! Tony and I needed to pick up some Disney cards because we get a 10% discount on them, plus the monsoon the night before made us realize that we didn't bring any ponchos. This turned into a much more complicated trip than necessary. I went to the ATM to take out some cash for the giftcards (we can only use cash, check or a Target card with our discount) and my card wouldn't work (the second time it got declined). I called my bank to see what was up and of course they had put a fraud alert on my card because I had used it in a few different states for gas on the way down. (Interestingly, on the other 3 trips we've made to FL in the last year, they NEVER once did this, which is why I didn't give them a heads up on my vacation.)
After a few minutes and a lot of questions I was able to get my cash, only to find out that neither of us had our discount cards with us and the store refused to take our team member numbers instead. Even though we had the 8 digit number memorized and were paying using a card that only Target team members could get. Tony even escalated it to the manager on duty, and even she said no. The cashier was like "I would if I could", and Tony apparently told her that she can, but she just wouldn't. To be fair, there is an option on the register that she COULD have used, but some stores like to make their own rules up. We decided that when we came back later we'd be going to a different Target, which is too bad for them because we would have spent nearly $1000 there! Oh well.

After that debacle, we got back in the cars and headed down to Animal Kingdom. From where we were on 192, the quickest way was to take this back road called Sherbeth Rd down to the front of the park. It's really neat because you pass the Animal Kingdom rehearsal facility (where they do character auditions!), an ESPN VIP center, and the costuming buildings for AK! So cool! I was following Siri's directions on my iPhone to get there so I ignored the signs that said to make a right for the park and turned left (toward AK Lodge) like Siri said to..... WRONG. We ended up heading directly toward the AKL gates. I panicked and pulled over in a limited access entrance and told Tony that Siri led me astray. He just told me to turn around and get back on the road... which luckily led us toward the main gate. Finally we made it in and found a parking space. I checked in on Foursquare and said:

Arielle Hughes ‏@missx0xdelaney 6 Jul
Finally, no thanks to Siri. (@ Disney's Animal Kingdom - @waltdisneyworld w/ 15 others) http://4sq.com/14xzNuC

Oh Siri, you scoundrel. We got to the tram area and had to wait for another one because the first was full. It came quickly enough and we made it up to the gate area. I breezed through the no bag line with my wristlet and waited off to the side for everyone else to get through. While I was waiting I occupied myself with some more selfies!

After that, we headed in and through the Oasis. Not far inside the entrance, we saw the new Wilderness Explorers outpost. Of course I had to stop! For those of you who haven't heard about it, it is a little hut right on the other side of the bridge after the Oasis. You go in, and they give you a booklet that shows all kinds of activities you can do around the park to earn badges. They start out by teaching you the Wilderness Explorers handshake and that earns you your first badge. Some of the activities are quick and you just have to fill them out in the book, and others require you to chat with a cast member or go to a certain ride to find something they have hidden. Then you need to go to a certain place to find a cast member who can verify the badge for you and give you a sticker in your book. It's really fun! PLUS I'm obssessed with Up, so it was perfect for me! My mom asked the cast member to take a picture of all of us after we got our first badge.

We continued on into the park only to stop not long after to do something I've wanted to do for a year! WE MET RUSSELL AND DUG!!! Every time Tony and I have passed their meet and greet area, they've either been taking a break or had a massive line. So imagine my excitement when there were only 3 or 4 families ahead of us! AHHH! When it was our turn, we went up and Russell noticed our Wilderness Explorers badge and started doing the secet handshake with us! It was the best. Then we took an adorable picture with them!

Before our trip, I actually said to Tony that if I only did one thing all week, it would be meeting them! I was literally skipping on our way to Kilimanjaro Safaris! We stopped on the way and got fastpasses for Expedition Everest and then practically walked on the safari. I LOVE rope drop mornings! I also love taking a safari first thing because the animals are all out and active.

I only got a few shots because Tony was on the side with the most action. I need to upload his shots still so I'll continue in another post!

So I definitely thought I updated this way more recently than 2 months ago, eek! Sorry to anyone who is still following along! Last time I was here I promised more safari pics, and not only do I have those, there are some others that Tony took over the previous days! Without further ado, here we go!

Photo Catchup!

Mustache soap at Basin!

Paparazzi style MK monsoon pics!

Tony's score on Buzz (cheater)

And finally the much anticipated Safari Pics!

July 6, 2013 Part Two - Ride Picture Extravanganza!

Upon our return from Africa, it was time to tackle Everest! We made our way over there and found the strangest thing.... a LINE for Fastpass Return! It was all the way out to the sidewalk and turning sideways! WHAT? Steve wasn't very happy, but we got in the line anyway. Luckily it moved really quickly and we got right on. We were almost seated toward the back, but I asked if we could wait to ride in front and they sent us right over. After the last time we were on, I've been dying to get the front row again so I could take pictures from up top! It did not disappoint!

Heading up the first hill

The view out over the park

We've reached the end of the line!

The shots I've been waiting months for!

Our ride picture

From there, it was time to see Finding Nemo! After our first trip last year, our boss asked if we saw this musical. We hadn't and he was shocked, and just raved about it. We put it on our to-do list, and then for some reason each time we bypassed it. I told Tony that we HAD to see it this trip so that Brad didn't disown us! And I'm so glad we finally did, it was so cute!

The only thing that was a downer was that we got there about 10 minutes before showtime (we had sent Mark to grab Kali FPs before heading to the theater), so our seats were the bleachers in the main aisle. On one hand, it was nice because we had unlimited foot room in front of us, and the next row wasn't directly at our eyeline. However, the seats weren't all that comfortable, being metal and backless, and the view wasn't spectacular. Next time I think I'd like to try about midway down in the center. But other than that, the show was great! It was seriously adorable, and the puppeteers were super talented! I can't wait to see it again!

After Nemo, we decided to head over to Dinoland because I really wanted to get on Primeval Whirl! We had some debate about how we wanted to split up. Tony and I decided this would be our last ride because we had lunch plans, so the others were going to go do Dinosaur. Then the kids realized we were going on a rollercoaster and wanted to come, so we took them while the other two wandered around. This was my first time on this ride, and I wasn't sure what to expect. It was actually really fun. It was a little shorter than I expected, but with the drops and twists, it was pretty thrilling. Plus we were able to take some pics!

Trying to get us all in was a tough job

So two and two had to be done!

July 6, 2013 Part Three - "Did We Just Become Best Friends?!"

After the ride, the others were ready for lunch. We let them know about our plans so they asked for the closest restaurant. After pointing them in the direction of Restaurantosaurus, Tony and I headed back to the room to freshen up because we still hadn't heard from our friends. Tony's friend from college Jillian did the College Program after she graduated and stayed down here. She and her boyfriend Mike live about an hour from Orlando near Cape Canaveral, and she still works for Disney!

When we came down in January, Tony realized that she lives in Florida and we all met up and spent an afternoon at Epcot together! Then in May the three of us went to Olivia's at Old Key West one day and also went to Raglan Road with Jillian and Mike. They are both super fun! This time, they wanted to go to Whispering Canyon Cafe, but we already had ressies for there on another night, so they accommodated my special request of going back to Olivia's. I am seriously obsessed with this place! Somehow I managed to get pictures of what we ate, but not of us together! Doh!

We HAD to ask for the yummy coconut bread!

Mike and I both ordered the Duvall Street Burger, which comes on the coconut bread and has shrimp and avocado on it! So good! Everything tastes so fresh and it's an awesome combo! I almost accidentally ordered a regular burger because I didn't know there were 2 burgers on the menu! Luckily I had talked it up enough that Mike was also ordering it and caught my mistake.

Tony ordered the short ribs which sounded delicious, but were sadly not up to par. He said they tasted dry and like they were cooked too fast instead of being slow cooked. They looked good though!

While we ate, we were entertained by Mike's hilarious sense of humor! He is constantly cracking the best jokes. I wish I had written down more notes about this meal because it was one of the highlights of the entire week! Towards the end, somehow Tony and Mike shouted out the same comment about the conversation, and then shouted at each other "DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?! YES!" Then they just started quoting Stepbrothers at each other while Jillian and I were doubled over laughing!

After we ate, we took a special trip to Cast Connections! CC is the cast member store located behind the Magic Kingdom. Just getting there is really exciting! You have to take the road that goes past the Contemporary alongside MK, and you end up passing all sorts of neat buildings on the way - Costuming, Transportation, Holiday Services, and the Cast Lot to name a few! (Sadly, you're not really supposed to take pictures back there, otherwise I would have gone crazy!)

When we first got there, (after Jillian and I each drove our respective cars over), Jillian told us Mike's observation from the way over: "Me and my new best friend both like to let our ladies drive!" *cue more raucous laughter* The Cast Connections store itself sells items that were previously sold in the stores in the parks and are extremely discounted, which I love! It's kind of hit or miss, sometimes there is tons of amazing stuff and other times it's kind of meh. I didn't find nearly as much to buy as I did last time, but I still found some gems.

I posted on Instagram:
miss0xdelaney 4 months ago
More goodies from Cast Connections! In the parks: $60, at CC: $25! #frugal #castconnections #wdw #merch

After that we stopped back at our hotel because Tony had bought a huge bag of romaine lettuce for only 50 cents! (Cast Connections has an area with produce and things like milk, eggs, cereal.. Kind of like a commissary for the cast, everything is way cheaper than the grocery store!) We were planning on going to one of the outlet malls and Jillian sent us a gps location/address using Siri. We found our way over to a promenade type place near Universal, Sea World, and the Convention Center and parked. There were a ton of restaurants and lots of shops and a move theater. It was really cute.

The only problem: Jillian and Mike weren't actually there! She had asked Siri for the address to North Face, the store they were at, and sent the address over, but there was no North Face at the mall we were at! We think there must have been one there in the past, but it wasn't there anymore. They apologized and got the right address, but since we had to pay for parking anyway and it was getting close to dinner, we just stayed where we were and shopped there. We ended up stumbling upon a Bath and Body Works clearance sale and I got some lotion and Tony got some candles, which we are actually enjoying right now! Then we made our way back over toward Downtown Disney.

We arrived about 30 minutes before our reservation. I had Tony drop me off at the Marketplace so I could purchase our Tables in Wonderland card while he found a spot closer to our restaurant on the West Side. I waited a few minutes in line at Guest Relations and then $100 later I had our card in hand!

I made my way through the sprawling complex toward Bongos! About 10 minutes later I finally made it there. Tony was still parking the car! Yikes. He made his way over at which point it was almost time for our ressie. The others were nowhere to be found. We got a hold of them and they hadn't even arrived, let alone started looking for a spot. I went inside and let the restaurant know what was going on and the girl told me she couldn't seat us until we were all there, but gave me a buzzer anyway.

About 10 minutes after that, the buzzer went off but Steve was still parking. Finally everyone arrived and we were seated. The restaurant had a very loud club type atmosphere with two levels of seating and music pumping. My mom kept complaining that she couldn't hear anything. We spent a while looking at the menus and Tony and I weren't seeing anything appetizing so we decided that we'd split something and grab a snack later. During this time Steve kept making comments about the restaurant, which was strange because he was the one who had suggested it and raved about it. He claimed Megan wanted to go there, but it was on his list, not hers.

Tony and I ordered yellow chicken with a skewer of shrimp on the side for Tony to eat. The plantains were good, but the rice and chicken were only alright. I remember there being a lot of little bones in the chicken which made for slow going.

After the meal, we got a shot outside the restaurant before splitting up.

Tony and I walked around Downtown Disney for a bit while I tried to find a cupcake I liked. I didn't really feel that any of the ones I saw were worth waiting in the crazy lines for, so we headed out. We went back to the condo for a while and were going to hit the sack early, but decided to run out to Cici's across the street from the hotel for a midnight snack. Then it was time for bed so we could hit rope drop in the AM!

Wow congrats on moving to Florida, I hope everything is going smoothly :goodvibes

I love the mop art that you saw, it's so clever!

The backstage exit is boring but so cool to see isn't it, I wouldn't want to take little kids down there but otherwise it's a great way to exit the park. The ferry queue sounds hideous though. We'll be there at that time next year so it's good to get a feel what the crowds are like. We're hoping as we're there from 1st to 16th that after the 4th weekend things will calm down a bit!

What a pain about the Target stuff! Loving your photos with UP! and how cute Russell did the handshake :)

Love your EE photos, I love the front but my DD hates it, I think she really thinks we'll go over the edge :rotfl:

How fun you got to meet up with your friends, it sounds as though you had a great time!

Wow congrats on moving to Florida, I hope everything is going smoothly :goodvibes

I love the mop art that you saw, it's so clever!

The backstage exit is boring but so cool to see isn't it, I wouldn't want to take little kids down there but otherwise it's a great way to exit the park. The ferry queue sounds hideous though. We'll be there at that time next year so it's good to get a feel what the crowds are like. We're hoping as we're there from 1st to 16th that after the 4th weekend things will calm down a bit!

What a pain about the Target stuff! Loving your photos with UP! and how cute Russell did the handshake :)

Love your EE photos, I love the front but my DD hates it, I think she really thinks we'll go over the edge :rotfl:

How fun you got to meet up with your friends, it sounds as though you had a great time!
The crowds were definitely the worst the first two days and then died down a bit after that. I mean, it was still the middle of summer and very busy, but not nearly as bad as the 5th.

We had such a great time with our friends, and we actually met up with some others also! When I get to Monday, we met up with my friend from work and her family and went on some character meets!

Thanks for reading along!

July 7, 2013 Part One- "NOW our vacation can begin!"

The next morning we got up nice and early so we could hit another Target (we were NOT going back to the other one after that fiasco!). We ran in and picked up giftcards without event and headed on to Hollywood Studios for rope drop!

I posted on Foursquare:
Arielle Hughes @missx0xdelaney 7 Jul
What up, rope drop?? (@ Disney's Hollywood Studios - @waltdisneyworld w/ 3 others) http://4sq.com/12vph3R

We arrived there at 8:47 am for a 9 am opening, and the turnstiles were already open! We headed on in and made the dash to Pixar Place! Toy Story Midway Mania was already at a 30 minute wait and the Fastpass time available was 10:05-11:05. We grabbed Fastpasses and continued towards the left side of the park. I wasn't exactly sure where to go so I checked the wait times on the Touring Plans app. All the big rides were already getting substantial lines so I wasn't sure where to go.

In hindsight what I SHOULD have done was use an actual Touring Plan but I didn't think about it, probably because everyone was requesting we go to their favorite ride. Tony and I tried the Touring Plan strategy on our first trip together in May 2012. We weren't sure when we'd get back so we wanted to get everything in, which the plans helped a great deal with. But now that we have the annual passes, we KNOW we're going to get back, so we just like to leisurely stroll around, head to the attractions with shorter wait times, and see what we see. However, I felt like the others didn't necessarily have that advantage and wanted to help them see it all, plus having such a large group threw off our normal strategy because it's so much easier (and quicker) to get 2 people across a park than it is to get 6!

As we walked through Streets of America I noticed how small the crowds on this side of the park where and started itching to take artsy pictures for Instagram! I also wanted to show them every nook and cranny that we'd discovered/things that have been added since they were last there! We showed them the little corner that houses Mama Melrose's and the Christmas store and then stumbled upon Pizza Planet (MY LOVE). I couldn't control myself and took tons of pictures.

In the meantime Mark and Meg had stopped a passing cast member who had some interesting pins on his lanyard. He was in business casual and seemed in a rush, so I think it must have been a manager or higher up exec, but he still stopped to trade with them. Unfortunately they didn't have any pins to trade so I offered up some of mine. On the last trip I bought a pin set in Downtown Disney for full price to trade with, then picked up two more severely discounted ones at Cast Connections, plus an additional one from CC this time, so I had plenty to share. After they made their trades, they noticed the pin trading cart that was just opening next door and checked it out. After that, we headed over to the Muppets area and saw that the show was just about to start so headed in.

It was really packed, there was a total of 9 people in the theater! I definitely noticed a lot more silly background details in the show this time. It was really fun! We made our way out and I saw that Star Tours was still at a 10 minute wait so we headed that way. On the way, we passed the Speeder Bike photo op spot and no one was around. Tony was dying to get his picture taken on it during Star Wars Weekends but we never had a chance. He was disappointed that it wasn't SWW now, but when I pointed out how difficult it would be to get the shot with no one around again, he had to agree.

We headed over for a spin through the galaxy on Star Tours! I could ride this attraction all day. We had a new scene in it too - Boba Fett! At that point it was almost time for our Fastpass Return Time so we headed back towards the center of the park. I needed a break by then, so I told the gang to head over to TSMM without us while Tony and I had a cupcake break! We told them we'd meet up for lunch, then went over to Starring Rolls and Tony joked "Now our vacation can begin!" I got a delicious Butterfinger cupcake and an iced coffee with chocolate syrup in it. Yum!

All sugared up, we went to ride TSMM, stopping to grab another set of fastpasses before we rode.

Next: What will we do with all the free time we suddenly found??

So pleased you got your Target cards sorted!

Loving all your artsy photos, I think we all forget to stop and look at all the details and I must remember to do it more too :goodvibes

Wow that cupcake looks delicious and is so enormous :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter