• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Could we all just collectively agree to SIT during Wishes?

Could all the TALL and i mean TALL people just realize that they are very TALL and not block the views of everyone else? It seems like wherever we are standing the 7' guy is the one in front of me!

:headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

Do you honestly think that tall people don't know that they're tall? We're aware. We are reminded by the rude huffing of the people who come stand behind us and get mad at us because we got there first. We are reminded by the rude comments of the people who sit behind us in shows and are mad because we got there first. We are reminded by the rude stares, comments, and questions of ignorant people such as yourself who seem to be under the impression that we either chose our height specifically to bother you, or are unaware of our height and need it to be rudely pointed out.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't force an entire demographic of people into a particular viewing area because of their physical appearance. When my family goes to fireworks displays, we are very conscious of those around us. We try to stand single file behind one of the rude parents who put their kid on their shoulders (and blocks even our view) to minimize the impact we are making on others. When was the last time you considered those around you at any point in a crowd? I'm so sorry the height that I have been burdened with my whole life is a slight annoyance to you for 15 minutes during a fireworks show... did it ever occur to you to step to the left, or ask if you can change places?
Think of me the next time you hop onto an attraction that my family isn't even allowed into the line for because we won't fit on the ride.

I'm one of those people who couldn't sit on the ground to watch the fireworks. Once down, I'd never get up easily and that WOULD be a safety issue for me. In the case of an emergency, I'd be trampled to death because there would be no orderly evacuation with that many people.

I know this will sound snarky and I don't mean it to be, but if having tall people standing in front of you is an issue, why not get there really early and snag a spot right in front of the masses? First come first serve is fair to everyone. If a tall person is willing to give up park time for a front row seat, that's his or her right. If you want to ensure there is no tall person in front of you, you'll have to give up park time. The choice is yours. And just to let everyone know, I am not a tall person. :)

Nope, I would rather stand for fireworks than sit on the hard ground. If you want to sit, then find a bench or outdoor table to sit at, but wanting everyone to sit on the ground is an unrealistic idea.

I loved the whole idea of being made to sit down at Tokyo Disneyland. Not only did it mean everyone could see regardless of how far back they were, but for some things like the parades it meant the CMs could involve the guests more. One part of the parade (Hippity Hoppity Springtime, part of their Easter celebration) has the guests take part in a little bit of a dance routine which you couldn't do if everyone was standing. I'll always remember that as it allowed guest interaction to be taken to another level.

But in saying that, I completely get why it is unrealistic to expect it at WDW. The setups of the parks is completely different - everything in MK is built more tightly together while TDL has big open plazas that are designed for the specific purpose of holding more people. For people that haven't been to TDL - one of the first things you notice walking through the park is how spread out everything is. It feels a bit strange at first having vast (and I mean vast) stretches of concrete walkway between everything. It serves its' purpose very well, but obviously it's not feasible in any way for MK.

Could all the TALL and i mean TALL people just realize that they are very TALL and not block the views of everyone else? It seems like wherever we are standing the 7' guy is the one in front of me!

I can't help being tall! Comments like this kind of bug me as I didn't choose to be as tall as I am :( But I am one of the considerate ones that even if I'm in the middle of a crowd I will try and stand in such a way to minimize the impact on other people (eg stand kind of side on with my head turned so my shoulders don't block the view)... but alas, I then get stuck behind the ones that are truly inconsiderate by holding up iPads or putting their kids on their shoulders.

Last edited:
I'd be happy if the pad people would not attempt to take lousy videos or pictures with their tablets.

Now, for concerts, I have never figured out why people, starting with the first note, stand up out of their seats (assuming there is seating), for the entire concert. Makes no sense. :confused3

I'd be happy if the pad people would not attempt to take lousy videos or pictures with their tablets.

Now, for concerts, I have never figured out why people, starting with the first note, stand up out of their seats (assuming there is seating), for the entire concert. Makes no sense. :confused3

Depends on the concert. Rock concert, I have no idea why anyone up front would try to stay seated. That is the whole point of being up front, jumping up and dancing. A concert like Barry Manalow, I would expect more people to be seated.

It's the iPad brigade that bothers me the most. I hate when I wait and get a great place to sit only to have someone whip out an iPad at the last minute and start filming. It is just so plain rude. I have actually asked people nicely to please use their phone instead of their iPad because it blocks my view and I usually get glares.

My DH is tall and I am on the short side. Lots of times when the kids were little we would separate and DH would stand in the back as to not block people's views. I would go with the kids I. The front.

I loved the whole idea of being made to sit down at Tokyo Disneyland. Not only did it mean everyone could see regardless of how far back they were, but for some things like the parades it meant the CMs could involve the guests more. One part of the parade (Hippity Hoppity Springtime, part of their Easter celebration) has the guests take part in a little bit of a dance routine which you couldn't do if everyone was standing. I'll always remember that as it allowed guest interaction to be taken to another level.

But in saying that, I completely get why it is unrealistic to expect it at WDW. The setups of the parks is completely different - everything in MK is built more tightly together while TDL has big open plazas that are designed for the specific purpose of holding more people. For people that haven't been to TDL - one of the first things you notice walking through the park is how spread out everything is. It feels a bit strange at first having vast (and I mean vast) stretches of concrete walkway between everything. It serves its' purpose very well, but obviously it's not feasible in any way for MK.

I can't help being tall! Comments like this kind of bug me as I didn't choose to be as tall as I am :( But I am one of the considerate ones that even if I'm in the middle of a crowd I will try and stand in such a way to minimize the impact on other people (eg stand kind of side on with my head turned so my shoulders don't block the view)... but alas, I then get stuck behind the ones that are truly inconsiderate by holding up iPads or putting their kids on their shoulders.

How do they dance while sitting?

When my family goes to fireworks displays, we are very conscious of those around us. We try to stand single file behind one of the rude parents who put their kid on their shoulders (and blocks even our view) to minimize the impact we are making on others.

I appreciate you being conscious of those around you and I wish there were more people like you, because many just don't care and are rude about it. I had a horrible experience at Wishes in January because of this. There was a guy and his gf who blocked my view the entire time hanging and slobbering all over each other. Said guy and pulled his gf to move right front of me last minute and we were unable to move because there was no space left. If they would have stayed standing how they were with gf standing in front of him they wouldn't have blocked my view, but no they had to stand face to face and turn their heads sideways to view the fireworks. Very inconsiderate to those around you, because I am also one of those people who is very conscious of their surroundings and who is behind me and how I am standing or walking.

Check this out! I love the way the people are seated!

Its virtually all hand movements for the guests. Just because you apparently cant grasp the idea doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

No need to be rude. I was asking an honest question. Hand movements could be done standing as well. As far as interaction with the crowd, there was a daytime parade a few years ago where it was very much interactive and CM's pulled people out of the crowd to dance and interact with the parade (Magical Moments or something like that). Sitting or standing doesn't make it easier or harder to be interactive. The culture of Japan is what makes it possible for sitting to occur. It's just a different culture than here.

Here's another thing that I thought of today. If I (and everyone else) were sitting, we would all still have our view blocked by STROLLERS. Most strollers have handles, canopies and upright parts that are about 4 feet off the ground. If I'm sitting on the ground, I'm lower than that, and they are going to be blocking my view.

Are we talking only about parades now? If so, it is easy enough to ensure you get an unobstructed view and get to sit: Arrive early, and sit on the curb. Simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter