Could use some help/opinions on an upcoming trip

You mean VGC? No. You can watch them from a couple places outside the parks, though. The esplanade is popular, or you can watch them from the top level of the Mickey and Friends parking structure.

With the long weekend park hours, if you can leave super early, you can still have a but of a chance to rest in the afternoon once your room is ready and then rally until midnight!
Thank you, yes I was referring to VGC. I thought I had seen some other posts call it VGH so I thought maybe it was called something different on the non DVC side.

Thank you, yes I was referring to VGC. I thought I had seen some other posts call it VGH so I thought maybe it was called something different on the non DVC side.

VGC= Villas Grand Californian (DVC side)
GCH= Grand Californian Hotel (resort side)

Although, it's all one building. The terrace on the DVC side overlooks DCA, so you can watch World of Color, but not see the fireworks as they are on the other side of the building. You can only see the fireworks on the resort side from the terrace of the Club Level lounge.

VGC= Villas Grand Californian (DVC side)
GCH= Grand Californian Hotel (resort side)

Although, it's all one building. The terrace on the DVC side overlooks DCA, so you can watch World of Color, but not see the fireworks as they are on the other side of the building. You can only see the fireworks on the resort side from the terrace of the Club Level lounge.
Thanks! That’s very helpful as far as world of color goes.

You might want to consider doing hoppers - DLR is very close together, and it is better to think of the DL and DCA sides as two sides to one park versus the kind of hopping that you do at WDW that involves arranging transportation. This would give you more flexibility for the nighttime shows too.

You might want to consider doing hoppers - DLR is very close together, and it is better to think of the DL and DCA sides as two sides to one park versus the kind of hopping that you do at WDW that involves arranging transportation. This would give you more flexibility for the nighttime shows too.
Agree with this. I always recommend hoppers.

Agree with this. I always recommend hoppers.
My wife and I have done this in the past and I agree it’s easier then WDW to hop. However for our family with two little ones we feel the time/money spent going back and forth isn’t worth it. We would rather try to focus on one park a day…. Leaning toward trying to make it there early enough on Saturday to make it with the park ticket price and not be to tired come nighttime so we can hopefully experience fireworks once. On the flip side we’ve seen them now a few times as a family at WDW so if we end up not being able to see them it might not be the end of the world lol

My wife and I have done this in the past and I agree it’s easier then WDW to hop. However for our family with two little ones we feel the time/money spent going back and forth isn’t worth it. We would rather try to focus on one park a day…. Leaning toward trying to make it there early enough on Saturday to make it with the park ticket price and not be to tired come nighttime so we can hopefully experience fireworks once. On the flip side we’ve seen them now a few times as a family at WDW so if we end up not being able to see them it might not be the end of the world lol
You could add a fifth day and just plan on Saturday being an evening thing so there isn’t as much pressure to get there early and make it worth it. It’s not very much more to add a fifth day.

But if I was driving a long distance with young kids I would want to skip the parks on the first day and instead hit the pool or DTD, then go to bed early so the kids got a good night’s sleep and everyone was ready for rope drop in the morning.

That definitely makes sense. If you only got to do one night show, and you are WDW regulars, I'd prioritize World of Color first, Fantasmic second, and fireworks 3rd. I'd also consider adding a 5th day, but like SOCALMouseMommy says, maybe that first day is better with pool and early bedtime so everyone is rested for the next day, instead of trying to stay up for a nighttime show.

Sat to Tuesday would be my vote, but expect heavy crowds on Monday.

Fireworks will be Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting. Fantasmic may be dark then.
Why would there be heavy crowds on Monday? We're deciding between Jan 18-20 or Jan 22-24. Our main concern is crowds. We've been told to avoid weekends, especially Saturdays. Haven't heard any reason why Mondays are busy? Should we skip Monday, is it really that bad?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your input so far. To be honest I was leaving towards Sunday-Wednesday for sake of travel. We will be driving in from mesa, az area and didn’t know if leaving super early on that Saturday morning and spending all day at the park would be worth it but it’s sounding like we should for the sake of maybe missing fireworks if Sunday gets canceled 🙁. Does anyone know if you can see the fireworks from the VGH?
Really weird... We are travelling from Mesa and are thinking about the same dates!

Why would there be heavy crowds on Monday? We're deciding between Jan 18-20 or Jan 22-24. Our main concern is crowds. We've been told to avoid weekends, especially Saturdays. Haven't heard any reason why Mondays are busy? Should we skip Monday, is it really that bad?

Mondays are always bad. It's a combination of reasons, really. Weekend are generally low crowds due to low level passholder blackouts, primarily.

Mondays are always bad. It's a combination of reasons, really. Weekend are generally low crowds due to low level passholder blackouts, primarily.
Is that all year long or just in the off season? Thanks for the help btw, I know this is a complicated topic!

I recommend Sat-Tues because the SoCal Imagine annual pass is blocked out for that Sat and Sun. My guess is there will be lower crowds on Sat-Sun than Mon-Wed.
The Enchant Magic Key pass is open for Sat/Sun. Does that matter at all? or are the SoCal local Imagine pass holders what makes the difference?

Really weird... We are travelling from Mesa and are thinking about the same dates!
That is weird! We are travling from Wisconsin but have family in Mesa that we want to visit as well so we plan on flying in and out of Mesa.

After my first visit , I cannot see spending more time than a day and a half max at DCA….

I am sorry but the idea of traveling from Mesa AZ in the morning and then park time which includes the fireworks, just sounds miserable, especially with littles. What about having Sat as your travel day, enjoy swimming and resting with maybe watching WOC from the 6th floor balcony and maybe the fireworks from the Esplanade. If everyone is still okay. Coming from the East is hard because you tend to tired earlier.

I am sorry but the idea of traveling from Mesa AZ in the morning and then park time which includes the fireworks, just sounds miserable, especially with littles. What about having Sat as your travel day, enjoy swimming and resting with maybe watching WOC from the 6th floor balcony and maybe the fireworks from the Esplanade. If everyone is still okay. Coming from the East is hard because you tend to tired earlier.
We are actually flying in on a Wednesday and plan on leaving family house Saturday around 5/6am. Its a 6 hour drive and we are just thinking we will be in the park from 5/6 until close for the fireworks. Its only a little bit more to add on the extra park day so its worth a shot in my mind to try and insure we get to see fireworks at least once. If its too windy on the Sunday and we don't get to see them and we could have on the Saturday I would be sad my boys didn't get to experience it just because of a drive. They will likely sleep for a bit in the car and they do pretty well with all day activates. We've done DW a few times now from open to close and knock on wood they were great so I think it wont be as bad as it sounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter