• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Could the reopening be pushed back?

As interesting as this discussion may be, it isn't a DVC subject.

If posters continue to discuss validity of the reported COVID data, hospital procedures, wearing masks, etc., this thread will be closed. Please take those discussions to the Community Board. They don't belong here.

Peace. I wasn’t trying to give you a lecture on respiratory physiology. You said you worked the first few months of the pandemic. I was just pointing out that the care priorities have changed since then. The same physiology applies but the treatment algorithms have changed significantly from the start of the pandemic. It’s in our nature to reach for a vent when people get tired out. We don’t like to see people struggle. We’re now fighting that impulse and getting better outcomes as a result.

And it is on point to the discussion because that change in how COVID patients are being treated absolutely changes how they’re moved through the hospital. We’re keeping them in the same place for far longer. That blurs the line between “critical” care and step down significantly.

Could that be used to fudge numbers? Possibly, maybe probably. But is the patient on their 10th day of BiPAP still a critical care patient? Or a step down patient? It’s not so cut and dried.
You keep drawing me in my friend. Are you a Respiratory Therapist? RN? Pulmonologist?I'll rule out RN as you seem more pulmonary knowledge based. Being on the East Coast and at a large Medical Canter we were hit much earlier than you in Texas. We did learn this lessons early about intubating as a last resort.The only thing I was sad about is we never got down to using MarkVII or VIII"s. proning worked on half our pts. We generally went from low flow-mid flow-high flow-to bipap,and as a last resort intubation.
Again we had/have a non critical care unit that was all Covid. If a pt.no longer required Critical Care there were 2 more coming in who did. That was my only point I was trying to make. Stay safe, and stay well.

As interesting as this discussion may be, it isn't a DVC subject.

If posters continue to discuss validity of the reported COVID data, hospital procedures, wearing masks, etc., this thread will be closed. Please take those discussions to the Community Board. They don't belong here..
I'm sorry Carol,I just saw your post. Unfortunately as you know I get carried away at times.It is a very cordial and entertaining discussion, but I am done.

Last edited by a moderator:
The real question is the thread thesis, will it be open. I’ve made my decision - now I’m just waiting to see if WDW holds to theirs.

Apologies. The desire to see things open up and the virus disappear can lead to some posts of frustration.

To return to the topic, it would be difficult (though not impossible) to envision further delays. Let's face it, it's easier to postpone the announced opening than it would be to open and then have to close all over again. But who knows?

Regardless of whether Disney closes down again, it's going to be even more difficult to book reservations for the next 12-24 months as there are so many unused points floating out there now. I canceled my July reservation, and was informed my points will still be good for another year, when they would have expired in October. That essentially means I have two years worth of points in the upcoming UY, with the ability to borrow from the following UY.

Obviously Disney has done the math here, and the limit on borrowing set to 50% probably offsets the increased demand for the same supply of rooms. However, should WDW delay the opening as DL did, the only recourse DVC would have is apparently to reduce the amount of borrowing one could do.

I'm also thinking the park reservation system is here to stay, which I don't mind. I'd have no problem using the app to see if there's a park opening so we can hop. Especially if it means when all of these people flood back to WDW the parks are kept at a certain capacity.

Regardless of whether Disney closes down again, it's going to be even more difficult to book reservations for the next 12-24 months as there are so many unused points floating out there now. I canceled my July reservation, and was informed my points will still be good for another year, when they would have expired in October. That essentially means I have two years worth of points in the upcoming UY, with the ability to borrow from the following UY.

Obviously Disney has done the math here, and the limit on borrowing set to 50% probably offsets the increased demand for the same supply of rooms. However, should WDW delay the opening as DL did, the only recourse DVC would have is apparently to reduce the amount of borrowing one could do.

I'm also thinking the park reservation system is here to stay, which I don't mind. I'd have no problem using the app to see if there's a park opening so we can hop. Especially if it means when all of these people flood back to WDW the parks are kept at a certain capacity.
I think the park reservation system is permanent because it provides a level of commitment that the magic band system only dreamed about.

It allows Disney to not predict but rather, absolutely know what kind of crowds are coming that day. And with just a little bit of tweaking, to push crowds to other parks.

Imagine, if you will, no more telling guests on Christmas Day that MK is full. No. We’ll tell those guest that in August (or whenever) when booking opens and instead of guests deciding at the TTC to try EPCOT or AK, they’ll make those plans months earlier and go to their proper park in the first place.

The only tweak? Park hopping is allowed but you must check in at your scheduled park first.

WDW is gonna like what the reservation system allows it to do way too much to let it go.

I agree, the devil is in the details. WDW is the expert in crowd control and using the power of suggestion. Heck I spent alot of money on a timeshare, purchasing a resort ( AKV) I had never seen after a fininicial collapse (2009). We have a reservation over Halloween and in to the first week of November. My MIL agreed to go yeaterday but not to fly. I did make flights for a BIL to meet us. He is flying first class for better social distancing...and well...because he can. If we cancel the flight it is non refundable but insured. I can use the ticket to book him trips home to see us, over the next year.

On a positive note....I was able to piece together 10 nights in a value studio for next April 21-May 1, using my remianing 2020 points and 50% of 2021 points. Don't judge, just appreciate the power of the Waitlist with me....angels singing....aaaaAAAHhhhhhhHHHH!

DH believes they will push back the opening...time will tell.

8500 new cases today alone. Kinda crazy. People got to stay home. It’s just getting worse. So sad.

8500 new cases today alone. Kinda crazy. People got to stay home. It’s just getting worse. So sad.
It’s going to keep Vero and HHI more popular is my guess. A lot easier to isolate, especially if you have a unit with a kitchen...

If Dis ey is going to make a delayed opening decision than they will need to make an announcement in the next week or so... Time is running out for rheir July 11th opening.

It allows Disney to not predict but rather, absolutely know what kind of crowds are coming that day. And with just a little bit of tweaking, to push crowds to other parks.

Being able to balance out crowds in an individual park through the FastPass system has made the guest experience infinitely better, and I am certain helped Disney's bottom line. The idea that they could also push guests to parks with lower attendance is something that I'm sure Disney is salivating at the idea of.

I don't think it would be a problem at all to check the app on my phone to see if we can "get in" to a particular park while currently at another one. When in the parks we're always using the app anyway, whether it's scouting out wait times, looking for dining, etc. The park admission just seems like another extension, that honestly I'm surprised hasn't been implemented already.

If Dis ey is going to make a delayed opening decision than they will need to make an announcement in the next week or so... Time is running out for rheir July 11th opening.

On Wednesday Florida was at 5500 new cases with 55k tests. Yesterday they were around 9500 positives on around 60k tests. At the point it has to be the Governor who pulls the plug on the reopening, even if Disney doesn't.

This is all like some horrible dream, hard to fathom it's reality.

I think that even if they push back park opening, they may not close down DVCs unless an executive order is in place closing the entire state down again.
Which isn’t happening. I’m expecting the parks to open unless rumors start leaking about cast members being told not to report today. Since most of them are recalled effective tomorrow.

That doesnt seem to be true in the very short run at least. I was shocked to find a ton of availability in the next 90 days. Even CCV studios!

That doesnt seem to be true in the very short run at least. I was shocked to find a ton of availability in the next 90 days. Even CCV studios!
Right, the next 90 days. But I do wonder about the next two years? How will all this play out? It will be interesting to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter