Could really use a little encouragement!

rebster

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure where to post this. We leave for our Disney vacation next week and I take my board exams next week. I took my practice board exam today and barely (I mean barely) passed it. I feel like I'm going to puke. I don't know if I will be able to enjoy Disney if I don't do well, and I have been studying like mad for this exam. I have an A average in medical school, and I am just so confused as to my lackluster performance on these practice exams. I am really afraid that I am going to fail and I will spend our Disney vacation worrying about my doom instead of enjoying it. I know I have the brains, but I am seriously freaking out here! Any suggestions? Thanks!

deep breaths.

Study.

deep breaths.

Study.

deep breaths.

Take the test.

deep breaths.

Enjoy your trip...if you don't pass, it's for a reason. It'll happen when you're ready for it.

Thanks, You are right. If I fail, I don't fail out of medical school, I just have to take the exam again, and it means I need to learn the material long term (not cramming). Taking the exam is not the end of the world and it will make me a better doctor. I really have to realize that my intellegence as a human being does not ride on this test, but for some reason I keep thinking it does. Thanks for your encouragement.

Go and enjoy your vacation-you deserve it!!! You have obviously been working very hard-too hard!:scared1: Lighten up,have a blast at WDW,and then get back down to business!;)

It may have been "just barely", but you DID pass your practice test. You'll probably do better on the real boards because you'll be familiar with the test! :thumbsup2

Cheer up.....

Worst case scenario you fail the test....like they said you can take it again. Only this time you would be "refreshed and relaxed" from a beautiful vacation you deserve!!!

Use it to your advantage, instead of kicking yourself, think you need a break and relax. Chances are your nerves and the stress got the better of you....and what is the best fix for that???

Walt Disney World!!! ;)

You just need to take a deep breath and step back for a moment. You carry a high average, you know what you are talking about. You will do fine, dont let the thought of the weight of the exam cloud your judgement while you take it.

Then, once you are done-thats it, there is no turning back. Take your vacation and remind yourself that you gave it all you had and you couldnt have done any better so whatever happens, just happens-at that point its out of your hands

WDW is a place where things like stress can evaporate and people can relax. i run a small business and the downturn caused me some major head- and heartache issues. DW thinks the world is the source of my ability to re-focus and re-energize.
So no matter the result you will be fine and you will relax. your thoughts and plans will shift to your next step on your life's journey. i'm sure that years from now you'll look back and be quite happy for this vacation.

Good Luck

Pop

sometimes the practice tests are actually harder the the real tests- not in medical school, but this is what I have heard from the docs I work with. Same was true of my boards for my specialty. Have a great trip

sometimes the practice tests are actually harder the the real tests- not in medical school, but this is what I have heard from the docs I work with. Same was true of my boards for my specialty. Have a great trip

While I have not been to medical school, this has been what I was told by residents and in my own personal experience. In my own areas of specialty I found the actual board exams to be easier than the practice. I always did much better.

But even more important to remember - YOU ARE NOT A TEST; FAILURE OF AN EXAM DOES NOT REFLECT ON YOU OR YOUR INTELLIGENCE. It just means that you have to really learn the material.

You can do it and have a wonderful time on your vacation! Best wishes!

I think rest is what you need and enjoy the Disney trip. My cousin last year took the practice test and failed...then took the real exam and did great. Sometimes it good to just walk away from thinking and refresh the mind.
Have a magical trip

Oh my gosh, thank you all so much. I am kind of an emotional wreck. I am just going to take the rest of today off to pack for the trip because I cannot focus and then get back to it tomorrow after my break. I really appreciate all of you.

Years ago I was an EMT. I scored in the 90s on my tests and finals, but put me out in the field and I was a mess unless I had someone with me that I felt comfortable working with. There was one guy I worked with that had major problems taking test and barely passed. He was one of the best EMTs in the field because he knew how to handle the situations. He was horrible at filling out the trip sheets, but we worked that out by me writing what he wanted to say.

So sometimes passing the test with a high grade does not necessarily show the true ability of a person. When they are in the field is when their true ability will show.

Enjoy your time at Disney & don't worry. Be Happy:goodvibes. Good Luck & if need be, take the test again.:thumbsup2

I'm going to move this to the theme parks community board.

Try not to stress. I'm sure you did better than you think.

Took USMLE Step I a week before my wedding! Don't overthink, be loose and watch Caddy Shack "Be the Ball Danny." Honestly visualize yourself knowing the answer. Anything else is nonproductive at this point. There is always a tendency to focus on what you don't know. Focus on what you do know and don't psyche yourself out.

Thanks! I have been focusing on all my bad subjects, but I guess if I just improved my good ones just a tid bit I will be fine! Thanks for the suggestion and I have never seen Caddy Shack, but that clip was great!!! I may have to rent the movie now.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter