Could I get some input on AKV please...?

mummy2emma

Earning My Ears
We are members at AKV - but we have yet to stay there!! Just wondering how you all like it for the following reasons:

- travelling to the parks
- restaurants (TS & QS)
- Club level - what is that all about? (we did club level when we stayed at WL before we were DVC members - is it the same)
- any cons to having this as your home resort?
- anything else I may need to know

Thanks so much! I have learned so much here in a week - you guys are fabulous... :cheer2:

We are owners and we couldn't be happier with out home resort. We love the size of the rooms, the atmosphere, the animals and the things to do.

Transport to parks I'm afraid we don't care about as we always have a car and we are not too interested in restaurants as we have our favorites all over the world or even offsite. Sanaa however is lovely, we haven't tried Jiko and didn't like Boma.

The Savanna view is a very unique and wonderful experience..if you spend enough time on the balcony (there may or may not be animals at a given moment)

The bus service is good overall. Nothing super amazing like walking to MK from BLT or walking to EPCOT from BCv/BWV.. (But AKV to MK is much much much better than the BWV to MK bus;) ) But there is no resort sharing..all Park busses go from Kidani to Jambo to a park. The DtD bus goes Jambo then Kidani then DTD. There is also a shuttle van that goes between Jambo and Kidani lobby dropoffs.

Dining, Mara is one of the better overall QS for a deluxe (in terms of variety). Boma dropped their amazing cinnamon raisin French Toast bit breakfast so they dropped from outstanding to quite good for a buffet..overall its similiar to Tusker House without characters.

Club level should be the same, daily mouse keeping and daily turn down service with access to the club lounge for a few snacks and drinks. But there are only 5 2BR lockoffs (1BR with adjoining studio) so they are very tough to book..and you only have a 40% chance of a partially obstructed savanna view (other is pool view). The Value rooms are smaller and can be pool, parking or savanna view.

Kidani 1 and 2 BR units are larger and have an extra full bath. Jambo has a weird disconnected bathroom and you have to step into the Jacuzzi to take a shower. Studios are more equivilent. The Jambo GV have the pool table room;)

We stayed at AKL one time and wasn't our favorite place.

Our home resort is at The Boardwalk and are use to the hustle and bustle around the resort. Animal Kingdom was just not the same.

I'm not knocking it by any means. We enjoyed the animals, pools, rooms, etc, but found it far to walk from Kidani Village to Jambo House(Where the food court is), I thought slower bus pick ups and stops, again not much offered except look at the animals.

Resort: excellent design and decor and having the animals is a big plus. We always get savanna view.

Restaurants: all very good; consider Sanaa one of the best table service restaurants on site, Boma one of the best buffets, Jiko's only a step below Sanaa. Mara is good counter service with lots of seating available, including outside.

Rooms/pools: Kidani 1 and 2BRs are outstanding. Jambo's are fine also but prefer Kidani because of larger size, separate tub and shower in master bath and extra bathroom. If going for studio or GV, I would pick Jambo. GVs are the best on site and the studios are same size as Kidani and you get the buffet and counter service restaurant, larger store, and larger pool at Jambo. Kidani pool is also good with the longer slide and elaborate kids play area. Kidani also has ideal under-building parking where you can always park fairly close to your room.

Buses: only two resort stops and do not share with any other resort. Usually timely and trips to parks are in the 25 minute range except for AKL for which it is less than 10. Also own at BWV. The bus systems in comparison: AKV's is one of the best; BWV's is the worst in the universe.

Club level: 5 2BR lock-offs (thus max of ten rooms) that sit on 6th floor above Jambo lobby. Three (including an HA unit) have savanna view, two pool; you cannot request view and thus it is luck of the draw and the savanna view is not that great. If you want savanna view get a savanna view room. If you want concierge service like you had at WL try to get club level. You have same access to concierge services and club level lounge as any concierge and you get daily cleaning and turn down service. One downside to the resort is the ability to get club level. It is often impossible to get even 11 months out because others with arrival dates shortly before yours grab your arrival date and possibly days after before your 11 month window opens.

Downsides: (1) Acts of Congress mandating energy efficient lighting. The resort has a kind of feel to it of being on the savanna at sunset and that resort lighting is probably fine. But the rooms began with energy efficient lighting (which Congress falsely calls an improvement) and the rooms are not bright as a result, particularly when trying to do things in the mirror in the bathroom. (2) Some do not like its way-out-there-away-from-everything feel and seemingly long rides to three of the parks. In comparison to BWV, those are short not long rides to the parks and resort is supposed to have that feel of being somewhere other than Florida and WDW. (3) Some lament the lack of quick service restaurant at Kidani (and in fact the restaurant there, Sanaa, is not open for breakfast); the walk to Mara at Jambo is long (1/2 mile door to door); (4) long hallway walks to room from lobby particularly at Kidani; if you get savanna view room at end of north wing at Kidani, walk is close to 1/3 mile from lobby (and things like bus stop, store and restaurant) to room; thus recommend requesting close to lobby or similar request (such as close to community hall) if stating in Kidani.

We are members at AKV - but we have yet to stay there!! Just wondering how you all like it for the following reasons:

It seems to take a litttle longer to get to the MK - and much shorter to AK (it's only about 1 mile away ...) ...
- restaurants (TS & QS)
Boma! Boma! Boma! One of our favorites - anywhere!
- Club level - what is that all about? (we did club level when we stayed at WL before we were DVC members - is it the same)
Never done it ... probably never will ...
Not that I can think of - it's the reason we bought into DVC!
This is the most unique resort at WDW - almost a theme park in itself! If you do stay at AKV, plan on spending some time there just checking out the resort, doing some of the activities, watching the animals, stuffing your face at Boma ...

Thanks so much! I have learned so much here in a week - you guys are fabulous... :cheer2:

Yes - we know ... :)

We have stayed at AKV several times. I hate the bus service. One time we waited 90 minutes for a bus. As a generalisation, usually our waits are around 45 minutes, except for the AK bus.

- restaurants (TS & QS)

Never had TS there. I like QS a lot when staying at Jambo.

We did Club Level once on our second stay there. So disappointed with the view - we had a pool view. I had no idea some of the CL rooms had pool views so it felt like a waste of points to me! It was nice getting "free" drinks and snacks. Never had to buy a drink in the parks.

For me it's not worth it unless we have Savanna View. It depends how much YOU like the resort. I can take or leave AKL. I know my BF would love to own at AKL. He loves the resort. It's his favorite.

Answers above :)

We really enjoy AKV, Kidani for the following reasons: (we travel in parties of 6-8, always in a 2br)

1. Covered parking, Florida is hot/rainy in the summer, love, love love the covered parking
2. The layout of the Kidani villas is better than the Jambo villas.
3. The addition of the 3rd full bath in the 2bd's is a fantastic when traveling with 4 teens.
4. The living room sleeper chair, great!
5. The Savannah, even staying on standard points we've always scored partial views of the Pembeh Savannah
6. We all love Sanaa, the food /service are good & reasonably priced, if there can be such a thing at Disney.
7. I have no issue with the bus system to/from. I think people obsess way too much about it in general!
8. Mousekeeping does a great job, the villas are always clean and fresh smelling!

Cons: Not a fan of the pool, it feels crowded to me. Not a fan of the BBQ'ing area, it's across the street from the hotel, very odd! Not a fan of the halls but to maximize the savanna views this must be, so I live with it! Some say not having a food court is a con, I disagree, with a full kitchen Though a bit small), a pool bar and Sanaa, I don't need nor like Mara!

Club/Concierge level doesn't interest me.

As far as Jambo, it's darker in decor than Kidani, the villas aren't as well laid out but it does have Boma, Jiko and that magnificent lobby!

AKV used to be our favorite DVC resort, then we went on African safari. :) We loved it for being able to view the animals right from your room or balcony. I am one of the ones that agrees that you really should get a Savannah view room. Although, I have tried the Value rooms, and for the savings on points, it wasn't so bad. We ended up with a parking lot view and it was just fine. We went in June so the savings on points was huge.

As for the restaurants, we do not do quick service a lot, but we have tried Mara and found the selections to be quite nice and food was decent. However, for the TS, we absolutely love all 3 -Sanaa, Boma and Jiko. In fact we are trying to figure out how to make it to all on our next trip and we are not even staying at AKV. Jiko is one of our favorite signature restaurants and we absolutely love the Corn Meal Corvina or whatever it is called. We usually argue over who is going to get it, then we both do!!! Boma is by far our favorite buffet, the food is so unique and soooo good!

Now for the transportation. I have stayed there in October when it wasn't so bad and then I have stayed in June and it was horrible. The buses for the parks would come over to Jambo house and would be full already. They always seem to have an employee there testing times, but it didn't seem to help. This was my biggest complaint with the resort, because you would figure with the size you would be able to manage the buses better.

Never tried club level so cannot speak to it. Every time I try to convince my hubby to do it, he is not interested in spending that number of points on it. Especially when you cannot guarantee your view.

Cons to this as a resort- it is a very large resort so even having 11 month priority can be trying. I have been lucky getting value units when I try, but for the most part I have been pleased with what I am able to get.

Hope that helps!

We used to love Animal Kingdom Lodge (stayed at Jambo twice before buying DVC). Then we bought DVC at BLT and stayed there. Tried AKV Kidani for our 2nd DVC trip. While the pool was awesome and we thought our room was very nice, we don't plan on going back anytime soon. I think the location of BLT spoiled us especially when traveling with kids. Buses take way too long and even driving seems so much longer.

DD does love the pizza at the Mara best of all and I filled up on Zebra domes. Even not staying there, we'll make a trip over to AKV Jambo for lunch at the Mara and to walk around. :)

We stayed at AKL before the villas were added and we did do concierge on one trip so we could do the Sunrise Safari. We were on the fifth floor for that stay. Those rooms were larger and were converted to DVC villas. We have visited the two buildings since they made the conversion and think we might like to stay there.

BUT, we own at OKW (and VWL) and can get a one bedroom villa at OKW for a whole lot fewer points than the savanna view one bedroom. We're not about to book a studio there and the standard view isn't worth it. It's savanna or nothing. So, until we have a lot of points left over, we'll be staying at OKW and not AKV-KV (we'll never stay at Jambo House because it doesn't have showers separate from the tub - not any difference than a studio there). Oh, and we still hate the prison-like look to the outside of KV, but the landscaping is starting to cover the huge wall.

I enjoy chatting with the CMs from Africa and going to the cultural talks in the evening. My DGDs, especially the 8 year old, loves the splash play area in Kidani. I do like the Mara for counter service, and I will almost always pick Jambo studios over Kidani because they have 2 sinks in the dressing area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter