• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costumes; all out, somewhere in the middle, or play it down?

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
Whats everyone dressing up as for Mickey's Halloween Party? Do you go all out? Play it down? Somewhere in the middle?

5 years ago we went to MNSSHP at WDW; we were somewhere in the middle. This year DD (19) and I are going as Tinkerbell (her) and Minnie Mouse (me).

We got her the cutest costume from Disneyland. She's 19 y/o but tiny, 4'11 so she was able to fit perfectly into a kids' XL. The wings light up as well; so darling! Her costume is all out. She's even got the pixie haircut!

I am going as Minnie Mouse, unoriginal but easy, all I had to buy was the red and white polka dot skirt. My costume is somewhere in the middle; not to a t but it'll be obvious who I am and more than a t-shirt.

So what are you all dressing up as?

I'm doing something easy because I know I'm going to be riding rides during the party. I'm going as a Haunted Mansion Maid/Ghost Host. I'm wearing a black dress, and have the HM apron from the parks that I will wear over it. Very simple and comfy!

One year we went as Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood. DH looked great in his tan clothes with hat and bag, and I had her nondescript Tibet outfit with a Headpiece of the Staff of Ra on a chain. Everyone knew who we were!

I'd like to go this year but we're going for Dapper Day instead, so putting together retro-inspired outfits.

I'm doing something easy because I know I'm going to be riding rides during the party. I'm going as a Haunted Mansion Maid/Ghost Host. I'm wearing a black dress, and have the HM apron from the parks that I will wear over it. Very simple and comfy!

Sounds super cute! Comfort is key especially for riding!

I’m wearing my Disney Disneyland Dress, my fam members are just wearing their favorite Disney t-shirts. To each their own :)

Perfect! And I agree, to each their own. I just like hearing about costumes. There’s no wrong/right way to do it. It’s all a good time!

I thought about buying the green Tiki Room dress from DTD and wearing that but I know I’ll get chilly and won’t want to cover it up but also won’t want to freeze. LOL!

One year we went as Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood. DH looked great in his tan clothes with hat and bag, and I had her nondescript Tibet outfit with a Headpiece of the Staff of Ra on a chain. Everyone knew who we were!

I'd like to go this year but we're going for Dapper Day instead, so putting together retro-inspired outfits.

Brilliant! I love clever costumes. Dapper Day is dressy in and of itself. I’d love to attend sometime.

I thought about buying the green Tiki Room dress from DTD and wearing that but I know I’ll get chilly and won’t want to cover it up but also won’t want to freeze. LOL!

Sadly, there's almost always that tug of war between the looks and the comfort! We ran into that with the Star Wars races too. My DH did Luke with a stuffed Yoda on his back for the 10K, and he was re-thinking the wisdom of that somewhere around 8K. There were a lot of clever (and uncomfortable) costumes there also.

Whatever you decide to do with costumes, make sure that they are comfortable and weather flexible! We make a list of ideas, narrow it down as the party dates get closer, then start watching the weather forecasts. The weather is the final deciding factor. We've been to MHP in all weather from pouring rain to blazing heat (think 85' F at 10 pm -- never have I seen so many Jack Sparrows in shorts and flip flops!). Also make sure that all costumes meet Disney's costume guide lines. We have seen guests turned away by security and not allowed to enter the gates -- and some of the costumes were elaborate (clearly the result of much hard work). The wearers had never even thought to look at Disney's rules and regulations before designing and putting together the costumes! And, lastly, make sure that the costumes will be totally comfortable for active wear all night -- walking all through the parks, getting on and off rides (and not getting caught in ride vehicles!), sitting on the ground or on curbs, getting in and out of restroom stalls, etc. Every year we see kids in fancy costumes with lots of accessories and helmets/hats/wigs/etc. -- and every year we see parents carrying all the accessories around as the night wears on!

For us, last year's theme was Monsters, Inc. I think this year's front runner will be Zootopia.

Whatever you decide to do with costumes, make sure that they are comfortable and weather flexible! We make a list of ideas, narrow it down as the party dates get closer, then start watching the weather forecasts. The weather is the final deciding factor. We've been to MHP in all weather from pouring rain to blazing heat (think 85' F at 10 pm -- never have I seen so many Jack Sparrows in shorts and flip flops!). Also make sure that all costumes meet Disney's costume guide lines. We have seen guests turned away by security and not allowed to enter the gates -- and some of the costumes were elaborate (clearly the result of much hard work). The wearers had never even thought to look at Disney's rules and regulations before designing and putting together the costumes! And, lastly, make sure that the costumes will be totally comfortable for active wear all night -- walking all through the parks, getting on and off rides (and not getting caught in ride vehicles!), sitting on the ground or on curbs, getting in and out of restroom stalls, etc. Every year we see kids in fancy costumes with lots of accessories and helmets/hats/wigs/etc. -- and every year we see parents carrying all the accessories around as the night wears on!

For us, last year's theme was Monsters, Inc. I think this year's front runner will be Zootopia.
True! Last year it was chilly the night I went and had a light jacket on the whole time. Then the week after it was in the 90's..the weather varies so much in the fall here.

Myself, my husband, daughter and son in law are wearing matching t-shirts that we are having made but my grandkids are wearing costumes. My 7 year old granddaughter is going to be Evie, one grandson (6 yo) is going to be Woody, another grandson (4 yo) is going to be Jack Sparrow and my 15 month grandson is going to be Nemo. Us grown-ups chose t-shirts to be comfortable but still be in the spirit.

I am going as Cruella and my dbs (who are joining to help me celebrate a big-0 birthday) will be dressed as Horace and Jasper. I'll be more over the top with fancy hat, dalmatian stole, and accessories and they will be wearing hats and toned down outfits.

We are attending our first party this year and it’s on our arrival day. Since we are driving up and may not have much time, if any, at the hotel before going to Disney at 3 we need to keep it simple and easy. My 16 year old is completely against matching so we are each doing our own thing. I’m planning on going as Dopey. Big green t-shirt, belt & leggings with big ears headband and hat. My 13dd wants to go as Mad Hatter and the rest of the family is still deciding. Trying to keep with simple, inexpensive, diy type costumes if possible.

... Trying to keep with simple, inexpensive, diy type costumes if possible.
DIY costumes are a big thing at MHP. You'll see all kinds of DIY costumes ranging from unbelievably creative to very simple, expensive, inexpensive, super cute, absolutely hilarious, drop dead gorgeous, why-didn't-I-think-of-that?, stealing-that-for-next-year!, etc. You're going to have so much fun!

I am going as Cruella and my dbs (who are joining to help me celebrate a big-0 birthday) will be dressed as Horace and Jasper. I'll be more over the top with fancy hat, dalmatian stole, and accessories and they will be wearing hats and toned down outfits.

If you get to meet Cruella, you're going to have a lot of fun! She's very interactive with party guests, especially if she sees that you'll play along. The year we went as Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf, Cruella had a whole riff going on DH's wolf fur (hood, vest, wristlets). She and I were doing the Joan Rivers thing with a critique of the outfit and a redesign with dalmation fur. Too fun!

I wanted to go simple! I wanted to wear pants! I'm going to be Belle in the yellow gown from the live action movie. My SO is going as my beast (no fur though, he already has heat issues). So I'm going to leave a trail of glitter everywhere and all over him. Which serves him right for not letting me be Rey.
So I'm almost all out, I have the necklace (and a backup) and the ear cuffs, but I'm about to cut my hair so I won't be doing the bun with the gold leaves. I also bought a purse that looks like a book so it fits the character and my SO bought me the funko keychain Belle to attach to it. It feels all out, but without doing my hair I don't think I can say that I am.
Also, since the gown is supposed to go to the floor, and that's against Disneyland rules, I will add that since I'm 6 feet tall my feet will be showing under the dress, in the sneakers I'm wearing, because I plan on walking all over that park in my costume!
I really hope they have a Gaston this year that we can interact with!

I'm loving hearing what everyone else is going to be wearing! I can't wait to see what other guests come up with!

I've got a couple of costumes picked out. One is Winnie Sanderson - I'll wear that if the weather is on the cool side. I have a cute Skeleton Dress I'll wear (with Coco Ears) if it's on the warmer side.

Sadly, there's almost always that tug of war between the looks and the comfort! We ran into that with the Star Wars races too. My DH did Luke with a stuffed Yoda on his back for the 10K, and he was re-thinking the wisdom of that somewhere around 8K. There were a lot of clever (and uncomfortable) costumes there also.

I feel ya! My DD doesn't care so much about comfort but I do. Haha!

True! Last year it was chilly the night I went and had a light jacket on the whole time. Then the week after it was in the 90's..the weather varies so much in the fall here.

It is so iffy. This morning it's pretty chilly for Southern California; slight breeze.

Myself, my husband, daughter and son in law are wearing matching t-shirts that we are having made but my grandkids are wearing costumes. My 7 year old granddaughter is going to be Evie, one grandson (6 yo) is going to be Woody, another grandson (4 yo) is going to be Jack Sparrow and my 15 month grandson is going to be Nemo. Us grown-ups chose t-shirts to be comfortable but still be in the spirit.

So cute! I hope everyone comes back and posts pics. I love the kids all dressed up.

Wonderful!! Happy Big 0 bday! I have one of those in a few months.

We are attending our first party this year and it’s on our arrival day. Since we are driving up and may not have much time, if any, at the hotel before going to Disney at 3 we need to keep it simple and easy. My 16 year old is completely against matching so we are each doing our own thing. I’m planning on going as Dopey. Big green t-shirt, belt & leggings with big ears headband and hat. My 13dd wants to go as Mad Hatter and the rest of the family is still deciding. Trying to keep with simple, inexpensive, diy type costumes if possible.

16 year olds are fun huh? ;) Dopey sounds cute! I like DYI. Mine is all repurposed but the skirt.

I wanted to go simple! I wanted to wear pants! I'm going to be Belle in the yellow gown from the live action movie. My SO is going as my beast (no fur though, he already has heat issues). So I'm going to leave a trail of glitter everywhere and all over him. Which serves him right for not letting me be Rey.
So I'm almost all out, I have the necklace (and a backup) and the ear cuffs, but I'm about to cut my hair so I won't be doing the bun with the gold leaves. I also bought a purse that looks like a book so it fits the character and my SO bought me the funko keychain Belle to attach to it. It feels all out, but without doing my hair I don't think I can say that I am.
Also, since the gown is supposed to go to the floor, and that's against Disneyland rules, I will add that since I'm 6 feet tall my feet will be showing under the dress, in the sneakers I'm wearing, because I plan on walking all over that park in my costume!
I really hope they have a Gaston this year that we can interact with!

I'm loving hearing what everyone else is going to be wearing! I can't wait to see what other guests come up with!

How fun! Your costume sounds awesome!

I've got a couple of costumes picked out. One is Winnie Sanderson - I'll wear that if the weather is on the cool side. I have a cute Skeleton Dress I'll wear (with Coco Ears) if it's on the warmer side.

Perfect! Nice to have options. Love the idea of Winner Sanderson.

I go all out myself

:woohoo:

For those of you that are going to the park the day of a party, are you taking your costumes with you to change into? Or getting a locker? Or going back to the hotel to change? And also, what time are you getting into costume? At 3 when the party people can start coming in? Or closer to the party start time?
I don't want to be the only adult in costume at 3 pm.

For those of you that are going to the park the day of a party, are you taking your costumes with you to change into? Or getting a locker? Or going back to the hotel to change? And also, what time are you getting into costume? At 3 when the party people can start coming in? Or closer to the party start time?
I don't want to be the only adult in costume at 3 pm.

We aren't arriving until 3 so we will wear ours. You won't be the only one in costume. People cosplay/disney bound all the time. You will fit right in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter