Costco versus TA

AmyKat

Mouseketeer
Can someone tell me what the differences would be if you book with Costco versus a standard TA? I read that TA's give actual OBC of roughly 5% and Costco give a store credit of roughly 8%. Can I pay for my trip with a DVSA if I book through Costco? Do I still pay just the 20% deposit if I book through Costco? We are first time cruisers.

Thank you!

Amy

My understasnding is that Costco offers a Cash Card worth approximately 8% of the cruise fare (not sure if that's cruise fare or full expense). SOME Costco locations will allow you to "cash-out" the Cash Card while others require that you spend it at Costco (I believe online works as well). Costco doesn't do much hand-holding as far as questions/suggestions/etc. and you aren't assigned a specific agent. Payment is done through Costco but made directly to DCL; if using a Disney Vacation Account, I believe there is a special number to call.

Some TA's offer OBC (onboard credit) of varying amounts. It may or may not be ~5% as this varies by TA agency. Some offer other perks rather than OBC -- I know AAA used to offer a photo package (maybe still does?), some provide an in-room gift/basket, etc. Some TAs are much more knowledgeable about DCL than others. If you want someone who can answer questions and guide you along the way, you'll want to be sure and use a TA who specializes in DCL. Such questions can be answered here on the DISboards or other sources if you are willing to put in the research time.

Deposit if 20%, fully-refundable before PIF (pay-in-full date) for anything except Concierge.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sorry can I add another costco question. Can you transfer your booking to costco if booked directly with disney?

Yes you can transfer within the 30 days after you book.

Not all tas give obc. Choose carefully. I use costcotravel.com because their service had been very good and I like the cash card perk for DCL (for Royal Caribbean they do OBC).

As a travel agent, that sells zero DCL (I do corporate travel for a race team)...I can tell you that your OBC with my agency is $0/0%. I do not sell DCL, so we have no status with them for anyone that wanted to book with me. So I always send people to Costco. As mentioned above, if you do go with an agency, pick one that deals with DCL a lot. They will typically, have the best perks.

I recommend booking through an agent just because I like the personalized service. It really varies as to how much OBC/rebate each agency can give. You can still just do the 20% deposit, too. I know the agency I used for our upcoming cruise gave perks worth more than what I could get through Costco. Good luck & let me know if you'd like more specifics.

I recommend booking through an agent just because I like the personalized service. It really varies as to how much OBC/rebate each agency can give. You can still just do the 20% deposit, too. I know the agency I used for our upcoming cruise gave perks worth more than what I could get through Costco. Good luck & let me know if you'd like more specifics.
What other perks did you get?

What other perks did you get?

I opted for gift card after my cruise and they gave more than what is offered through Costco. She also covered one of our excursions (for 2 adults, 1 kid). I also just like personalized service. Before our trip to WDW she sent a photo autograph book and t-shirts with our family name before we left.

I've used her for non Disney trips and she always sends something nice to our room (food, champagne & berries) or does a spa credit. And I like knowing I can just text her if I have a question while we're there.

I opted for gift card after my cruise and they gave more than what is offered through Costco. She also covered one of our excursions (for 2 adults, 1 kid). I also just like personalized service. Before our trip to WDW she sent a photo autograph book and t-shirts with our family name before we left.

I've used her for non Disney trips and she always sends something nice to our room (food, champagne & berries) or does a spa credit. And I like knowing I can just text her if I have a question while we're there.
You just joined today. When did you cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter