Costa Rica Zip Line - anyone been?

rmm7e

Mouseketeer
I'm heading down to Costa Rica in late April - not with ABD though - and my travel agent is recommending the same Sky Trek place near Arenal as ABD goes to. She says it's the ONLY one in the area that meets their safety standards.

I looked on You Tube and boy howdy it looks fast and scary! If you've been and can give me a little review, I'd appreciate it.

My main concern, really, is that I'll do OK on the practice zip and freak out on the first real one. Then there's no backing out because you've got like another 6 zips you gotta do to get down. Can anyone calm my fears?

I'm inclined (see what I did there?) to just book it and if I back out, what's $100 on a $6000 trip? If I don't book, I might be sorry to not have tried. I ain't getting any younger! Right? Right? :scared:

So let me know your experience if you can!

Thanks!

I'm heading down to Costa Rica in late April - not with ABD though - and my travel agent is recommending the same Sky Trek place near Arenal as ABD goes to. She says it's the ONLY one in the area that meets their safety standards.

I looked on You Tube and boy howdy it looks fast and scary! If you've been and can give me a little review, I'd appreciate it.

My main concern, really, is that I'll do OK on the practice zip and freak out on the first real one. Then there's no backing out because you've got like another 6 zips you gotta do to get down. Can anyone calm my fears?

I'm inclined (see what I did there?) to just book it and if I back out, what's $100 on a $6000 trip? If I don't book, I might be sorry to not have tried. I ain't getting any younger! Right? Right? :scared:

So let me know your experience if you can!

Thanks!
Have you ziplined before? I haven't done this one in Costa Rica, but I thought I'd share my first experience ziplining. I'm afraid of heights, generally only if I can see below my feet (clear floor or grating, etc). Watching the previous group from the ground, it looked cool and fun and no big deal. When I got up to the top of the first run, it looked WAY higher up there looking down than it did looking up. I kinda froze, and told the guys running it that I really didn't think I could do it. I didn't think I could step off. Well, they made me go First. Which was really a good thing, since the longer I was up there, the more freaked I was getting. But I just did it (the guys running it were amazing). The minute I stepped off and realized that it totally didn't feel like I was falling, I was fine. I was able to do all the rest of the course with very little problem. (Really, the only issue I had was getting stuck on one really long run - which they said frequently happened - and they had to come out & pull me to the end). But I wasn't scared up there. I really felt secure and fine, which surprised the heck out of me. And I was REALLY glad I'd done it.

I hope you sign up and enjoy it!

Sayhello

This was the first zip line I ever did and by far the best. But it is high and fast. The longest line is longer than 8 football fields and you are really high up. They told us we would reach a speed of 45 mph and I believe it. It was drizzling the day we did the zip line and the rain drops hitting my eyes actually hurt. You have a great view from the longest line. The guides tell you what to do in case you don't gain enough speed to make it to the other end, which is basically grab the cable and pull yourself to the platform, and if you don't grab the cable you will slide back to the middle of the cable. I nervously watched my then 8-year-old go on this line by himself (they wouldn't let anyone go tandem because they said we would go too fast). The platform on the other end is so far away it wasn't visible through the trees on the other end. He didn't come sliding back down the line, so I knew he had made it. There was no one in our group who didn't make it. I think as long as you follow directions you will be okay. I'm afraid of heights too, but zip lining is so much fun, I almost forgot. My impression was this is a well run company, and I felt safe. I probably haven't calmed your fears. :) It really is fun and my recommendation would be go for it!

"There was no one in our group that didn't make it."

LOL! Well that's good!

I'm also reading lots of reviews on Trip Advisor and they sound like what you all are saying. I'm not sure "terrifying" is something to look forward to but it really seems like few, if any, regret doing it.

TeamSy, thanks for the link to your blog!

I am going to be on the ABD trip in just a few weeks! I am not a big thrill seeker but I do love rainforests. Do you really get to see the forest and any wildlife from the zipline or is it just too fast? I am thinking I would enjoy the hanging bridges more. They look quite adventurous and fun and also seem like a more immersive experience?

You can't really see any wildlife from the zip line. But there are plenty of other opportunities to see wildlife on the trip. On the zip line you're mostly above the trees. But the views are beautiful.

I am going to be on the ABD trip in just a few weeks! I am not a big thrill seeker but I do love rainforests. Do you really get to see the forest and any wildlife from the zipline or is it just too fast? I am thinking I would enjoy the hanging bridges more. They look quite adventurous and fun and also seem like a more immersive experience?

There are many videos on You Tube of this particular zipline. At 40-50 mph it'd be as fast as a car. Nobody mentions seeing many animals (even on the tram to get up there). If the weather's bad or foggy you might not have much of a view either, based on the videos (of which I've watched way too many!)

I hope you'll post a trip report when you get back!

We did it and it was amazing! DD was nervous about it, but she did just fine. It was very rainy and cloudy when we went, so we really didn't see anything. It was kind of cool to leave the platform into nothing but mist though.

I nervously watched my then 8-year-old go on this line by himself (they wouldn't let anyone go tandem because they said we would go too fast).
I know this is a long dead post but we are doing ABD Costa Rica in August and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some insight on any minimum weight requirements. My 8 and 11 year old daughters would like to try it but we were informed by ABD that there is a minimum per person weight requirement of 88 lbs (whether it is individual or tandem). I'm wondering if this requirement has always been there or whether this is one of those things that may be subject to change upon arrival onsite. Thanks in advance.

I know this is a long dead post but we are doing ABD Costa Rica in August and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some insight on any minimum weight requirements. My 8 and 11 year old daughters would like to try it but we were informed by ABD that there is a minimum per person weight requirement of 88 lbs (whether it is individual or tandem). I'm wondering if this requirement has always been there or whether this is one of those things that may be subject to change upon arrival onsite. Thanks in advance.

We did Costa Rica in March with Tauck Bridges. At Buena Vista, all 3 of my kids were able to zip line. My 6 year old went by himself and the 4 year old went with a guide. The language on the TB site is not as restrictive as ABD, and they let you go if the operator did.

We were told that Sky Trek has changed its requirements several times. Obviously the 4 year old was too little, but they did let the 6 year old ride tandem with his 10 year old sister. Neither is 88 pounds, but they did seem to have a 48 inch height requirement that the younger just cleared. HTH!

This was our very first ABD both my twins went tandem with an operator. They were 8 years old, and neither was even close to the weight requirement listed above. They did fine and enjoyed it. We had a large ABD group, and really only the height was a strict requirement back then. Things may have changed.
My wife is afraid of heights and to this day says she is glad she did it - once. Very well run adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter