Costa Rica Trip

hoffman

Earning My Ears
Just returned from our 25th-ann. trip.Large group,great weather and a truly special time provided by our Disney guides,Michael and Prof.Bernal.Hard to believe this farmboy from Il was waking up a couple of miles from an active volcano,howler monkeys as an alarm clock.I traveled the world in the Navy and Ive never had a week like this.Thanks Disney.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. We leave this Thursday for our Costa Rico trip and can't wait.:goodvibes How were the hotels and the food? My DD is worried about the rafting - is the water very cold or do you get very wet? How fast are the rapids? Thanks for any info!

We did the same trip last year and same guides - Isn't Michael a Disney Treasure and Bernal a mind of imformation.
One surprise for us was that the weather was a little cooler at the volcano than we anticipated (but we live in the caribbean so its relative I guess)
The hotels are amazing - rooms fantastic and the views and food was excellent.
More notes - back in august "Costa Rica with a 5 year old"
Enjoy your trip and Say Hi to Michale and Bernard from the Challis family and Cameron.

The rafting to almost everyone was a pretty big letdown cuz we all expected a little more action.It was pretty mellow,not to worry.Didnt see much wildlife either.That being said,we all made it a great time by having splash wars;hope ya dont mind gettin a faceful!The water was real warm and not very deep.I think it depends on the season.I thought the food was terriffic especially all the breakfast buffets.ALL the fruit and veggies were fresh and to die for.Im from farm country and the beef left something to be desired.If you have time and want some serious seafood,theres a Peruvian place in SanJose.The Hotel will send you and pick you up,free.Its in a small mall not far.Bernal told me abt it.Dont miss the Imperial beer.The Hotels were amazing,I wont tell ya much;keep it a surprise---Have a great time and post when ya get back!

We leave for Costa Rica in early July. Can you tell me what they suggested on dress? Did you wear mainly shorts each day? Did you need any dress clothes?

We were on this trip last year in July. You're going to love it! Mostly you just need shorts and a swimsuit. You need a pair of water shoes for the rafting trip too. If you want to wear something a little dressier for the welcome and farewell dinners you can, but it's definitely not necessary.

Hi, I am also going on this trip July 8th. One question: How hot was it last Jluy on your trip?

I found the temperatures to be fairly mild, especially at San Jose and Arenal. Highs in the 70's I would guess. It's always humid, of course. Often there was a nice breeze in the afternoon. It was definitely warmer when we reached the Pacific coast, but still pleasant. The only time that I was uncomfortably warm was the day when we walked to the beach through Manuel Antonio.

Thank you so much for the info. I orginally booked my trip for April 18th, however it was cancelled. I was worried that July would be unbearably hot. I don't do very well in the heat. Especially if I am hiking .

The butterfly gardens and Manuel Antionio park were the only two places where we did a significant amount of walking. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and give you some cool temps on those days. Have fun!

Just returned from our 25th-ann. trip.Large group,great weather and a truly special time provided by our Disney guides,Michael and Prof.Bernal.Hard to believe this farmboy from Il was waking up a couple of miles from an active volcano,howler monkeys as an alarm clock.I traveled the world in the Navy and Ive never had a week like this.Thanks Disney.

I just got word that our trip has been changed due to damage that occurred during the earthquake back in January. Did you go to the butterfly gardens and waterfalls or did your trip also get changed to a coffee tour?

We had to tour Espiritu Santo coffee plantation(u can google it up to learn more)instead of the falls and gardens cuz they had some earthquake damage in Jan.They may be up and running soon I dont know,but we're coffee freaks and the whole group enjoyed a very well run 1.5hr tour.I purchased MUCH coffee and we have been thoroughly lovin it!Our lunch was there also.Dont miss the chocolate covered beans!As far as that hike goes,it moves pretty slow and youll see lotsa monkeys as well as a great lookin beach at the end.A real bonus for my 14yr old and myself were the awesome waves at the main ManuelAntonio beach.Bodysurfin was a blast(his 1st time)and if you want to stay a little later a cab ride to the Parador was 10$.Wow that was weird! I was typing this as you entered yer "?"Granted a coffee tour didnt sound too exciting to me but it was cool.Win the rake game and take home a free bag of coffee!

We had to tour Espiritu Santo coffee plantation(u can google it up to learn more)instead of the falls and gardens cuz they had some earthquake damage in Jan.They may be up and running soon I dont know,but we're coffee freaks and the whole group enjoyed a very well run 1.5hr tour.I purchased MUCH coffee and we have been thoroughly lovin it!Our lunch was there also.Dont miss the chocolate covered beans!As far as that hike goes,it moves pretty slow and youll see lotsa monkeys as well as a great lookin beach at the end.A real bonus for my 14yr old and myself were the awesome waves at the main ManuelAntonio beach.Bodysurfin was a blast(his 1st time)and if you want to stay a little later a cab ride to the Parador was 10$.Wow that was weird! I was typing this as you entered yer "?"Granted a coffee tour didnt sound too exciting to me but it was cool.Win the rake game and take home a free bag of coffee!

Thank you for answering. I am just irritated because the butterflies and waterfalls were the deciding point between southwest splendors and costa rica. My eight year old daughter loves butterflies. Anyway, my husband was wondering is there a limit on how much coffee you can bring back?!!!

I dont think so.I brought back about a doz bags and just fit em wherever I could.We had a layover in Guatamala and I bought some there too!The prices arent that much differant than here,but boy its good!I bought some shade grown stuff at Arenal and thats supposed to be the best,I hope.The pineapple,cantaluope and mango are to die for.Enjoy!So sorry to abt the Butterflies.Hope your 8yr old likes pools,the Paradors are amazing,so are the Intercontinentals,the one at Arenal are too hot.

We were told by ABD that we will not be going to the butterfly gardens this coming week on our Costa Rica trip. It will be a visit to the coffee plantation
instead.

could everyone just let me know if they were notified about the not going to the butterflies and what date and kind of notice they received. I am quite upset with this major change. Thank you.

could everyone just let me know if they were notified about the not going to the butterflies and what date and kind of notice they received. I am quite upset with this major change. Thank you.
I'm just curious (NOT criticisizing!), but why are you upset/irritated? If the place was damaged by an earthquake, ABD can't take you there until it's repaired and fit for visitors. Acts of god can't be predicted... Are you upset because they didn't tell you this in January?

Thanks,
Sayhello

If you are interested in the damage that was done to the La Paz Waterfall park, you can visit their website to see pictures.

www . waterfallgardens . com/quake

I'm just curious (NOT criticisizing!), but why are you upset/irritated? If the place was damaged by an earthquake, ABD can't take you there until it's repaired and fit for visitors. Acts of god can't be predicted... Are you upset because they didn't tell you this in January?

Thanks,
Sayhello

Yes, That is exactly the reason. I called ABD, after hearing from my friend who lives in Costa Rica told me she had just lived though an earthquake 6. I had not booked yet, we were still between Southwest and Costa Rica. I called ABD and asked them if there would be any changes to the Costa Rica trip and they said no. I booked a week or two later and they just told me Tuesday about the MAJOR change! Quite honestly, nobody in my family of four are interested in coffee and my children have no desire to go anymore. The butterflies and waterfalls were the deciding point of our trip.

Yes, That is exactly the reason. I called ABD, after hearing from my friend who lives in Costa Rica told me she had just lived though an earthquake 6. I had not booked yet, we were still between Southwest and Costa Rica. I called ABD and asked them if there would be any changes to the Costa Rica trip and they said no. I booked a week or two later and they just told me Tuesday about the MAJOR change! Quite honestly, nobody in my family of four are interested in coffee and my children have no desire to go anymore. The butterflies and waterfalls were the deciding point of our trip.
That stinks! Especially since you specifically asked. I would call ABD and firmly (but nicely) tell them what happened, and insist that something be done about it. Maybe they'd be willing to switch you to Southwest Splendors as a goodwill gesture and for the PR. It never hurts to ask. (I can *HIGHLY* recommend Southwest Splendors.) Just remember to be firm but not angry. I hope they'll do something for you...

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter