• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costa Maya

Spork24

Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder
Disney has added a summer 2019 itenerary that includes a stop at Costa Maya Mexico. Has anyone cruised there before. I would love to know your thoughts, opinions, and experiences. Also any input on port excursions there would be awesome.

We are trying to decide between this 6 night western and a four night double dip. We would prefer the longer trip, but are still weighing pros and cons.

Disney has added a summer 2019 itenerary that includes a stop at Costa Maya Mexico. Has anyone cruised there before. I would love to know your thoughts, opinions, and experiences. Also any input on port excursions there would be awesome.

We are trying to decide between this 6 night western and a four night double dip. We would prefer the longer trip, but are still weighing pros and cons.

Costa maya like the other carribean ports. Been there a couple of times. Check out the excursions. First time I did an excursions to the ruins. Second time I just walked around in the little town. You have to take a bus or taxi to get to the little town.

Costa maya like the other carribean ports. Been there a couple of times. Check out the excursions. First time I did an excursions to the ruins. Second time I just walked around in the little town. You have to take a bus or taxi to get to the little town.

How were he ruins? I love history so I would probably enjoy it, our children will be 3 and 4 at time of travel, I don’t see them enjoying it.

How were he ruins? I love history so I would probably enjoy it, our children will be 3 and 4 at time of travel, I don’t see them enjoying it.

Your kids probably won’t enjoy it. Ruins was ok. I was a little bored myself. But I’m glad I went but once is defintely enough for me.

Costa maya has a nice pool for cruise guests. Free

Your kids probably won’t enjoy it. Ruins was ok. I was a little bored myself. But I’m glad I went but once is defintely enough for me.

Costa maya has a nice pool for cruise guests. Free

That’s neat about the free pool, I’ve never seen that before.

I've been to Costa Maya three times and each time my scuba diving excursion was canceled due to weather conditions. Anyway, the small shopping port area is a nice place to check out some local retailers, grab a meal or watch the pole dancers show. During my last visit to Costa Maya and I took a trip into the local beach town which was really nice. I took advantage of visiting the beach, enjoyed a great meal with drinks and enjoyed a beach massage. I've gone diving at nearly every port that DCL visits and I look forward to diving at Costa Maya on my next visit if the weather permits.

I looked up some YouTube videos of the port and some of the excursions. I’m kind of excited about it now.

We went to Tropicante Costa Maya for beach day. It was several years ago but it was inexpensive and awesome.

As others have said, you can spend the whole day in the port area if you want to, pool, 'beach', swim with dolphins, avery, entertainment, lots of shops.
Theres a 'shuttle' that takes you to the beach area that $2 or $3 each, along there you can find some really good and really cheap food and local crafts.
Also, a walkable distance from the ship is a waterpark with zip-lines. As for other excursions, they're borrowed from another company but it gives you an idea...

costamaya.jpg

You can google Chacchoben Mayan ruins. We did this when our son was 9 and our daughter was almost three. We left her in the nursery while the rest of us did the excursion. She would not have had any fun and the heat/humidity would have been way too much for her.

We did the waterpark. Enjoyed it, but thought it was way too pricey for such a short time in port. Money for waterpark would be way better spent at blizzard beach or typhoon lagoon.

I would love to go back to Costa Maya! We took a taxi to Mahahual and enjoyed a long, rainy day at one of the beach cantina joints. We were one of very few families there. Learned to SUP in the rain. Got toe rings with my nieces. Very inexpensive. Good times. Fab memories. Love to go back!

we went to costa maya when our EC cruise was re-routed due to hurricane damage. We had a lovely day there.

However, I found that whole place to be really really odd. They (mexican gov't?) built this HUGE port and tourist "trap" in the middle of nowhere. When we were docked, there were 2 or 3 other hugs cruise ships there. The dock was a constant stream of people. We estimated that the people onto the mainland must have increased by 18K that day. I thought the prices of some stuff (like sodas, wine and beer sold from carts in the middle of the walking paths) was way overpriced, but my daughters found some reasonable beaded bracelets there.

We did an excursion through DCL, I think it was called Costa Maya Snorkel. It was awesome, we had a great time and we would do it again if we ever went back.

I've been to Costa Maya three times and each time my scuba diving excursion was canceled due to weather conditions. Anyway, the small shopping port area is a nice place to check out some local retailers, grab a meal or watch the pole dancers show. During my last visit to Costa Maya and I took a trip into the local beach town which was really nice. I took advantage of visiting the beach, enjoyed a great meal with drinks and enjoyed a beach massage. I've gone diving at nearly every port that DCL visits and I look forward to diving at Costa Maya on my next visit if the weather permits.
How/where did you find a beach massage?

How/where did you find a beach massage?

If you go to one of the beach bars, You'll see them. My wife and two SiL got massages. I think maybe $40 for an hour (I'll see if I have it written down somewhere) and they loved it.

This was at Tropicante, btw. Nice place, decent food and beer at reasonable prices. Owner is an American, if that makes a difference.

If looking for a beach day, and the beaches are much better than Cozumel, check out Maya Chan as a possiblity. Small all inclusive beach resort that is now our go to for a day to chill out and relax.

Check out maya chan beach resort, costamayabeachresort.com. It was one of my most favorite days and I hope to get back there sometime soon! It is an all inclusive private beach resort. They only take a limited number of people each day. Transportation is included both ways from just outside the port area. Each group is preassigned an area of the beach with chairs, hammock, palapas, etc. Lunch was so good! Best of all they had plenty of sand toys that kept my kids busy all day. It was hands down the most relaxing beach day we have done on a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter