Cost of wheelchair rental at the parks

Blondie

~*~*~*~<br><font color=blue>This TF always enjoys
Sorry if this has been asked before.

My Mom is coming with us in April, and I'm afraid she might not be able go full throttle like the rest of us since she just had two major surgeries, and is currently in the hospital again because she has fallen twice and they don't know why.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the cost might be to rent her a wheelchair if she feels too tired on any one particular day while we are there.

Is it possible to park the wheelchair like a stroller since she'll be able to get on and off rides okay and will be okay to stand in line with everyone else?

I believe it was $5 or $10 and you received money back when you returned the chair. I am not certain how much but I will actually check in a few minutes. I need to rent one as well, My wife is pregnant with our 2nd child and she gets tired real fast. I also have Cerebral Palsy but I'll be pushing her.

Hmmm....

I still haven't found out the cost however I did find this in the Disabilities brochure:

Guests planning to visit more then one park on the same day should retain their wheelchair deposit ticket from the first Park they visit. This will enable them to obtain a replacement wheelchair on the same day, if available, at the next Park with no additional charge.

Still looking for the price.

I found it... sort of.

They guest relations said it was $8 a day. It sounded like he was outside, so it was hard to make out what he said after that but it sounded like there was a $40 deposit that you received back once you turned in the wheelchair.

Oh yes before I forget be certain to go to town hall on main street in the magic kingdom and get the GAC or guest access card. That way if there is an attraction that you can't park the chair at, they will send you to a different line that can accept the chair. Like for instance I used it to go up the ramp instead of the stairs at the train staion on main street.

Another dis'er confirmed that the gac is valid at all parks for the length of your stay.

Thanks for finding all that out Steve, I appreciate it! :wave2:

With being on Chemo on our Nov. trip we rented a W/C everyday an the cost was $8.00 and you get back a disney dollar at the end of the day. I did not at any time have to give them a $40.00 dep.

Good Luck

Thanks for the clarifacation....

I couldn't understand anything after the guy said $8.00

and Woot!!!! a Disney Dollar in return.

Oh yes before I forget be certain to go to town hall on main street in the magic kingdom and get the GAC or guest access card.That way if there is an attraction that you can't park the chair at, they will send you to a different line that can accept the chair. Like for instance I used it to go up the ramp instead of the stairs at the train staion on main street.
A little clarification:
You don't need a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) if you are bringing the wheelchair in line with you. The CMs will see the wheelchair and direct you to the wheelchair accessible line, if the regular line is not accessible. So, if you have a wheelchair and are bringing it into lines, there is no need for a GAC unless there are other disabilities in addition to the need for a wheelchair.
GACs are for letting CMs know what sort of assistance people need if they have invisible disabilities (like needing a place to wait out of the sun, or needing to take a stroller in line for a small child with a disability who does not have a wheelchair.
You can request a GAC from Guest Services in any of the parks (the person with a disability needs to be with you). GACs are usually issued for up to 6 (5 memebres of the party plus the person with a disability) and the same GAC is good for all parks. They usually issued the GAC to be valid for your entire stay. Sometimes, your whole party will not be able to stay together. That is usually because the boarding area is small and can't accomidate many people at once.
Also, if you decide to leave the wheelchair and have her walk in line, there are 2 lines in particular that are a deceptively long distance: Pirates of the Caribbean in MK and Bug's Life in AK. So, I usually suggest that people ask the CM about how far it is to the boarding area and if the posted wait time is pretty accurate.

Here's a link to the DIS page about touring with mobility disabilities. I'm not sure if the rental price listed there is up to date or not (if it is different than what people posted here.)
And here's a link to a thread about recent changes to the GAC and a link to an older thread about boarding rides.

Thank you Sue! I agree that the line at POTC can be deceiving! I'll let her make the decision if she can wait in line or not when the time comes!

Thanks again everyone!

We were there in November, there is no deposit for a wheelchair it is just $8 per day but you do need to leave a deposit for an ECV. However at Universal it is $10 per day plus a $50 deposit which you get back when you return the wheelchair.

Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter