Correct me if I'm wrong... GT bookings

HappilyEverAfter80

DIS Veteran
We are sailing in about 40 days, and we booked a GT (restricted fare) a few weeks ago. I am aware of the restrictions, one of them says no "name changes".
Never did I think I would have to make any changes, but DH just found out he may have to stay home, we are still waiting to find out for sure. Myself and DS will still go.
We know we can't get a refund for DH if he can't go.
I'm also assuming and correct me if I'm wrong, we cannot change one passenger? Instead of DH, have my nephew go, for example.
I don't think we can do that at all because of the fare we paid (GT) but our friends sailing with us think we can because my DH isn't the primary passenger, I am. I think that would be correct if it wasn't a GT booking... am I wrong?
It would be cool if I was, but just wondering if anyone here has some first hand experience with this before I ask my TA.
Assuming I'm right, we don't really have to notify DCL in advance if DH isn't coming do we? Just tell them at the pier?

Look at your paperwork. We booked a VGT on the fantasy, and were clearly told no cancellations, no substitutions, no name changes, period. Your cruise could have different restrictions. It should be spelled out on your cruise documents.

Look at your paperwork. We booked a VGT on the fantasy, and were clearly told no cancellations, no substitutions, no name changes, period. Your cruise could have different restrictions. It should be spelled out on your cruise documents.
Didn't get any paperwork... I'll look at my confirmation email. I'm pretty sure you are right, no changes of ANY kind.

Doesn't hurt to give a call and explain your situation, worse comes to worse they say no. One time this happened with me and Amtrak and they were nice enough to make the change.

Never expect pixie dust, but sometimes it may happen. In some cases, because of forums like this companies have been forced into a situation of never bending on certain things. Once they make one exception, everyone thinks their situation demands an exception.

Good luck or find a relative with hubbies same name. I bet his fourth cousin would love to join you!

Doesn't hurt to give a call and explain your situation, worse comes to worse they say no. One time this happened with me and Amtrak and they were nice enough to make the change.

Never expect pixie dust, but sometimes it may happen. In some cases, because of forums like this companies have been forced into a situation of never bending on certain things. Once they make one exception, everyone thinks their situation demands an exception.

Good luck or find a relative with hubbies same name. I bet his fourth cousin would love to join you!
Haha... so apparently there is someone out there with an extensive criminal record with same name as DH - we got pulled over at the US boarder once and almost refused entry! I don't know if I want to go find THAT person to join us ;)
lol
You are right though, doesn't hurt to ask. I am not trying to get an exception though, just trying to clarify if this is even allowed. Most likely not, but as you say - doesn't hurt to ask.
I'm about to email my TA.

We are sailing in about 40 days, and we booked a GT (restricted fare) a few weeks ago. I am aware of the restrictions, one of them says no "name changes".
Never did I think I would have to make any changes, but DH just found out he may have to stay home, we are still waiting to find out for sure. Myself and DS will still go.
We know we can't get a refund for DH if he can't go.
I'm also assuming and correct me if I'm wrong, we cannot change one passenger? Instead of DH, have my nephew go, for example.
I don't think we can do that at all because of the fare we paid (GT) but our friends sailing with us think we can because my DH isn't the primary passenger, I am. I think that would be correct if it wasn't a GT booking... am I wrong?
It would be cool if I was, but just wondering if anyone here has some first hand experience with this before I ask my TA.
Assuming I'm right, we don't really have to notify DCL in advance if DH isn't coming do we? Just tell them at the pier?

Unfortunately, on GT (restricted rate) there can be no substitutions or name changes. Your TA would have a copy of the confirmation email with all restrictions and information.

Haha... so apparently there is someone out there with an extensive criminal record with same name as DH - we got pulled over at the US boarder once and almost refused entry! I don't know if I want to go find THAT person to join us ;)
lol
You are right though, doesn't hurt to ask. I am not trying to get an exception though, just trying to clarify if this is even allowed. Most likely not, but as you say - doesn't hurt to ask.
I'm about to email my TA.
Call and ask. I've had exceptions made for me before. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's up to the supervisor on duty that particular day and the luck of the draw with the CM. You are right it's not allowed, but all company's will bend the rules once in a while. It's actually to their benefit to have that third person in the room. The more people onboard the more money they make.

From what I understand you can not change husbands booking to someone else- you will just have to no show (I am unsure if you still have to pay taxes/gratuities in that instance). You MAY be able to add an extra person to your stateroom if you are willing to pay the cost now that you will have extra space.

I personally have 2 second or third cousins with the same name, easy when your first name is Robert! So my wife Would have An Easy Time Replacing Me ;)

I personally have 2 second or third cousins with the same name, easy when your first name is Robert! So my wife Would have An Easy Time Replacing Me ;)

Aside from being irreplaceable as I am sure your wife considers you...your birthdate and passport information would not match. :)

I'm with the "couldn't hurt to ask" group. The worst they can say is a very polite "no" and who knows perhaps they may give you some onboard credit or something because you have to take a financial hit. Nothing ventured.....(as they say)

The rule says, no name changes, I have had to call to correct my birthday in their system and passport changes can be made online until about a week before sailing. Just saying.

But did you have to call on a restricted rate booking to change your birthday? And when you went to change the passport information on your reservation, did you do that on a restricted rate booking too?

In case anyone is interested, it is apparently possible to get the taxes and port fees refunded if DH doesn't sail - we also don't pay gratuities for him.
That's about it... according to my TA.
Although I don't think she called DCL about it at all... She said with restricted rates name changes are not allowed. Which I figured.

I am having a hard time being excited about the cruise now, it's still up in the air but most likely it will be just me and DS. Well and our friends, another family.
I think I will have a lot of alone time on this cruise... :rolleyes1 I'm trying to picture this...
I said to DH we will just have to book the next cruise that much sooner!

In case anyone is interested, it is apparently possible to get the taxes and port fees refunded if DH doesn't sail - we also don't pay gratuities for him.
Although I don't think she called DCL about it at all... She said with restricted rates name changes are not allowed. Which I figured.

I am having a hard time being excited about the cruise now, it's still up in the air but most likely it will be just me and DS. Well and our friends, another family.
I think I will have a lot of alone time on this cruise... :rolleyes1 I'm trying to picture this...
It's typical, for someone not cruising, to have their port fees & taxes refunded. After all, they weren't on the ship, so the ship wasn't charged those things. Also, the gratuities being refunded (if you pre-paid them) is normal.

This is why I don't use a TA. I feel like I'm the best advocate for myself. I've cruised a few times without my DH and just my youngest son. I've found traveling with just one other person compared to three others to be pretty stress free and relaxing. It can be lonely at times, but like anything there's positives and negatives.

It's typical, for someone not cruising, to have their port fees & taxes refunded. After all, they weren't on the ship, so the ship wasn't charged those things. Also, the gratuities being refunded (if you pre-paid them) is normal.

Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to imply that was an exception. I was surprised anything at all would be refunded, although gratuities make total sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter