Coronavirus: why you should not go to Disney World when it reopens

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
The coronavirus has a fatality rate of something between 0.5% to 3.4%, and it attacks not just the lungs but a vast array of body organs and systems from head to toe, causing all kinds of problems. It is capable of asymptomatic transmission, making it extremely infectious and most of the world’s population will catch it in time, within a year.

Most people will come out of the coronavirus unharmed, suffering little or not at all. So why not go to Disney World then?

1. If you have caught it and survived, you may catch it again, especially as the virus mutates, and get hit harder the second time around and die.

2. By avoiding crowded places such as Disney World, you may be able to reduce your infectious dose when you catch it, and thereby reduce the severity of your symptoms. That is, if you catch just 5 viruses, your body might be able to fight it off easily, whereas if you catch 5 million, you will be dead as a doorknob, even though you are a perfectly young, healthy person.

3. If you hide from the virus long enough, by the time you catch it, the doctors might know more about how to handle the disease and give you more informed care, having made their mistakes on others who got sick before you. For example, the death rate for ventilator usage in New York is 80%, and for old people over age 65, 97%, according to the New York Times. That made doctors less interested in using ventilators for covid. They are also trying out a series of drugs, so if you can hold out long enough, you can pick the medicine that actually works, or at least avoid being a guinea pig for all the non-working ones. Also, a vaccine may show up. It's like a game of dodge ball: you stay back, you get hit last.

4. If you get deathly sick in Disney World and end up in the hospital, chances are that your entire family will be sick also, being that you are stuck in a hotel room during vacation in close proximity of each other, and covid is really infectious. Then you will be sick without family support. If you get sick at home, at least friends and family can help, and you have all your home supplies.

5. Disney World (or Disneyland) is the happiest place on earth. It’s not worth going when there is a plague hanging over your head during the super expensive vacation, when there is a big damper on everybody‘s happiness level. Imagine seeing everybody in Disney World wearing masks, as if Disney World has turned into one giant emergency room. Let's for a few years and let this thing die down.

6. If a bad second wave hits during your trip (like it did during the Spanish flu, when young people started dropping dead), the flights might get cancelled and you can’t get home.

7. When Disney World reopens, there will be a bunch of horrible adjustments to make life miserable: temperature checks, social distancing, cancelled parades and fireworks and events, wearing masks in 95 degree heat and humidity, monrail not running. So you run from Epcot to DHS (we do that all the time) and get your temperature up, and they won’t let you in. Or you’ve been waiting in line outside MK in the hot sun for half an hour and your forehead is burning. Or, maybe your temperature is perfect, but MK is already 1/4 full and that’s all they allow to get in for the day, and you are out of luck. Or they are not opening Epcot, so you have nothing to eat.

8. If you catch covid in Disney World and go back, your home town will not be happy with you. “Look at those stupid jerks, traveling during a pandemic and bringing the virus back to us!” People go to Disney World from all over, so it will poke a big hole in the herd immunity plan. As the pandemic run out, Disney World will be the last place in the world still spreading the virus.

9. Let’s wait and see what all is going to happen with the virus and with the society. Will the virus have a second wave? A third? Will people have immunity after catching it, or will they catch it again and again, getting sicker each time? Will the flights be cancelled if things get bad? And what about the economy? Will the money run out because stocks are flattened, jobs are gone, food prices increase? Maybe we should save the Disney World money for covid emergency fund, not just for ourselves, but also for relatives and friends who might get hit hard with loss of income or increased responsibilities.

10. You might ask, but what if covid blows over a lot sooner? But here’s the thing: you don’t know when it might come back. Disney World trips are planned months in advance, and by the time you go, something unpleasant might be rearing up its head, and there‘s a good chance of that happening. Nobody knows about this virus, what it will do in months or years to come.

I really want to go back to Disney World. I want to check out the Skyliner. I want to walk the new walking path from the Grand Floridian to MK. I want to sit on the beach at CBR at midnight and read Harry Potter. I just bought a very small, convenient pop up tent that I want to try out for when it rains. I want to watch DS4 play on the splash pad at CBR -- it was his favorite. I want to check out Fort Wilderness and rent a golf cart there. I want to walk from Fort Wilderness to Wilderness lodge - they have a walking path there that I didn’t know about. I want to stay at AKL so that we can eat breakfast at Boma again, we loved it last year.

I am going to skip this year and next year, and go back to Disney World in 2022 or later, if everything has cooled off for at least a year. Until then, I will just stay home and be sad.

The coronavirus has a fatality rate of something between 0.5% to 3.4%, and it attacks not just the lungs but a vast array of body organs and systems from head to toe, causing all kinds of problems. It is capable of asymptomatic transmission, making it extremely infectious and most of the world’s population will catch it in time, within a year.

Most people will come out of the coronavirus unharmed, suffering little or not at all. So why not go to Disney World then?

1. If you have caught it and survived, you may catch it again, especially as the virus mutates, and get hit harder the second time around and die.

2. By avoiding crowded places such as Disney World, you may be able to reduce your infectious dose when you catch it, and thereby reduce the severity of your symptoms. That is, if you catch just 5 viruses, your body might be able to fight it off easily, whereas if you catch 5 million, you will be dead as a doorknob, even though you are a perfectly young, healthy person.

3. If you hide from the virus long enough, by the time you catch it, the doctors might know more about how to handle the disease and give you more informed care, having made their mistakes on others who got sick before you. For example, the death rate for ventilator usage in New York is 80%, and for old people over age 65, 97%, according to the New York Times. That made doctors less interested in using ventilators for covid. They are also trying out a series of drugs, so if you can hold out long enough, you can pick the medicine that actually works, or at least avoid being a guinea pig for all the non-working ones. Also, a vaccine may show up. It's like a game of dodge ball: you stay back, you get hit last.

4. If you get deathly sick in Disney World and end up in the hospital, chances are that your entire family will be sick also, being that you are stuck in a hotel room during vacation in close proximity of each other, and covid is really infectious. Then you will be sick without family support. If you get sick at home, at least friends and family can help, and you have all your home supplies.

5. Disney World (or Disneyland) is the happiest place on earth. It’s not worth going when there is a plague hanging over your head during the super expensive vacation, when there is a big damper on everybody‘s happiness level. Imagine seeing everybody in Disney World wearing masks, as if Disney World has turned into one giant emergency room. Let's for a few years and let this thing die down.

6. If a bad second wave hits during your trip (like it did during the Spanish flu, when young people started dropping dead), the flights might get cancelled and you can’t get home.

7. When Disney World reopens, there will be a bunch of horrible adjustments to make life miserable: temperature checks, social distancing, cancelled parades and fireworks and events, wearing masks in 95 degree heat and humidity, monrail not running. So you run from Epcot to DHS (we do that all the time) and get your temperature up, and they won’t let you in. Or you’ve been waiting in line outside MK in the hot sun for half an hour and your forehead is burning. Or, maybe your temperature is perfect, but MK is already 1/4 full and that’s all they allow to get in for the day, and you are out of luck. Or they are not opening Epcot, so you have nothing to eat.

8. If you catch covid in Disney World and go back, your home town will not be happy with you. “Look at those stupid jerks, traveling during a pandemic and bringing the virus back to us!” People go to Disney World from all over, so it will poke a big hole in the herd immunity plan. As the pandemic run out, Disney World will be the last place in the world still spreading the virus.

9. Let’s wait and see what all is going to happen with the virus and with the society. Will the virus have a second wave? A third? Will people have immunity after catching it, or will they catch it again and again, getting sicker each time? Will the flights be cancelled if things get bad? And what about the economy? Will the money run out because stocks are flattened, jobs are gone, food prices increase? Maybe we should save the Disney World money for covid emergency fund, not just for ourselves, but also for relatives and friends who might get hit hard with loss of income or increased responsibilities.

10. You might ask, but what if covid blows over a lot sooner? But here’s the thing: you don’t know when it might come back. Disney World trips are planned months in advance, and by the time you go, something unpleasant might be rearing up its head, and there‘s a good chance of that happening. Nobody knows about this virus, what it will do in months or years to come.

I really want to go back to Disney World. I want to check out the Skyliner. I want to walk the new walking path from the Grand Floridian to MK. I want to sit on the beach at CBR at midnight and read Harry Potter. I just bought a very small, convenient pop up tent that I want to try out for when it rains. I want to watch DS4 play on the splash pad at CBR -- it was his favorite. I want to check out Fort Wilderness and rent a golf cart there. I want to walk from Fort Wilderness to Wilderness lodge - they have a walking path there that I didn’t know about. I want to stay at AKL so that we can eat breakfast at Boma again, we loved it last year.

I am going to skip this year and next year, and go back to Disney World in 2022 or later, if everything has cooled off for at least a year. Until then, I will just stay home and be sad.
The rule...

hey everyone, I guess its time to take a break and release all that stress, give your self a shake and let out a big belly laugh, ah go on, it will do you good :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :tongue::tongue::banana::banana::lmao::lmao::lmao:

yes please, everyone stay away from Disneyland and Walt Disney World. The more people who stay away, the safer it will be for Pete and the DisUnplugged team and all the hard working mods here on Disboards to go to Walt Disney World and Disneyland California !!!

Actually, those are the main reasons I’m following the social distancing policies in my state. Since we have been hit hard, I’m aware how we learn more about this virus every day. I wonder if 2 people I know who died on ventilators a month ago would be alive now. I’ve heard of people getting well after getting blood from those with antibodies. There is so much not known, including reinfection rates. We need more tests, and more supplies, like masks.

It's like a car wreck. I know I shouldn't look but I just can't help myself

yup....

just for those who don't know, the OP has a history of these types of doom and gloom posts, theres no point replying as the OP never returns, and you wont get a conversation . So grab the popcorn, and have a laugh, and relieve all the stress with a big belly laugh :)

actually that's an incredible amount of "if", "may", or "could" statements. basically a big nothing burger

Well what about the great information about what happens if you catch only five viruses versus the five million? I didn't know that. I also was unaware that getting it a second time will result in a much more extreme case due to mutations. Well, I guess that information itself must have gotten some kind of virus by the time we got down to #9, because now we don't know what happens if you get it a second time. Guess this must be serious now. Gotta get to work on my dodge ball posture.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't think a decent chunk of the audience on this board is receptive to the realities of the virus. It's actually disappointing that so many people here want to discredit a pandemic.

I'm still hoping things will be safe for our mid-August trip, but it's really just wishful thinking at this point. I really don't want to go until the parks have been open for at least a few weeks and enough rules are put into place to make things safe.

Didn’t even start to read and I placed my bet. All in. I had a gut feeling, I know OP’s posts.

I read, and read, and read...

I’m sweating this, not looking good. I’m going to lose, then wait! It made its appearance! It was mentioned! Skyliner was mentioned.

I won!! :cool1: Cashing out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter