Coronavirus discounts on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a conference cancelled in Orlando for the end of March and a lot more are happening across the country.

I just switched one night at Pop to CSR for only $23 more. I've been checking fairly regularly and was happy to snag it today. My company - a major financial services company - cancelled all domestic business travel so I'm going to keep checking.

Plot twist:
Disney and other companies do not lower prices, which would encourage travel.
Instead, they either lock prices or prevent new reservations.
Your theory?
wrong though

Last edited:
I feel your pain! My husband's company just stopped all international travel. We were supposed to get 5 days all inclusive in the caribbean with a bunch of other high performing employees. He has been with the company 20 years, and this is the first time he was picked to go. I got the time off work, arranged a sitter for the kids, all set. Yeah, cancelled this week, and not rescheduled. We get to keep the flights since they were already booked in our names, so we're just going to go anyway. We'll get a cheap air BnB instead of Sandals, but we're going gosh darn it (assuming we're not sick or in quarantine at that point).
glad you made lemonade out of lemons
still waiting fo DHs employer to cancel travel
i don’t think they will until the fed does across the board

Your theory?
wrong though

It's probably wrong, but I could see it as a possibility where Disney plays it conservative and doesn't increase their "liability" by actively drawing in customers with big discounts. If they see closure as a real possibility, maybe they're better off taking a little loss in occupancy and reducing the number of people they have to "make whole", at least for the near future.

glad you made lemonade out of lemons
still waiting fo DHs employer to cancel travel
i don’t think they will until the fed does across the board
DH’s work hasn’t cancelled domestic travel yet, but they do have two week quarantine periods for people returning from abroad. Also, if I get quarantined from exposure during the course of my work, he won’t be able to travel, either., which is not good for business.

I think part of the reason the trip was canceled in our case is that some of the other participants are based abroad, including Asia. Since they couldn’t just tell some winners not to go, they canceled for everyone.

Just checked on my dates for May again. Nothing has changed on Hotwire. Still more expensive than when I booked in Jan.

I also took a look at Disney’s own site, and the Fun in Sun discount is gone for that time frame. I tried a few different combinations of the days, including the one day I booked a couple of weeks ago with the discount to make flights work, and it keeps giving me the message the discount doesn’t apply.

I’ll be interested to know how this shapes up.

And now that I’m on my phone, this page has ads for face masks.

They look to be cloth (which seems ineffective), and one is called “funny girly” and when it’s off the person’s face looks like a black mono-bra.

I’m not clicking on any of the links to investigate further because who knows what that will do to my ads. I am intrigued by the idea of a black bra for my face, though.

Why can't you still go? 🤷🏻‍♀️
My husband is going for work and the rooms were discounted ($299) a night for the convention. Me and my daughter were tagging along to go to the parks. His employer cancelled the trip meaning he have to show up for work next week. Also, we would not be able to afford those rooms out of pocket. That is why we planned a couple days at a cheaper resort once the convention was over. Now I have to figure out how to get a refund on the tickets ( we brought through Disney convention sales office and our Airline tickets that were paid out of pocket for me and my daughter.

My guess is that the employer was paying for the room and airline ticket (at least for husband). So, if the poster wants to go, they have to pay for the entire cost?
that is correct plus husband has to show up for work next week (not in Orlando) since trip was cancelled

Last edited:
My husband is going for work and the rooms were discounted ($299) a night for the convention. Me and my daughter were tagging along to go to the parks. His employer cancelled the trip meaning he have to show up for work next week. Also, we would not be able to afford those rooms out of pocket. That is why we planned a couple days at a cheaper resort once the convention was over. Now I have to figure out how to get a refund on the tickets ( we brought through Disney convention sales office and our Airline tickets that were paid out of pocket for me and my daughter.
You may not get a refund on tickets. I'd see if a cheaper room is available and go with your daughter.

Your theory?
wrong though
That theory is more wrong then right BUT
after 9 11 Disney discovered many potential guests wouldn't make a trip no matter how big a discount. Giving an even bigger discount to guests who are already going didnt make sense.
Sections of resorts and even an entire resort were closed.
I can see Disney closing sections for renovations.

I can see Disney closing sections for renovations.
Yeah I can see if some of the big dance/cheerleading comps get cancelled disney closing all star sports down. Move remaining guest to the other 2 all stars and switch the builders from music to sports. Then they could get into the reno with out worrying about guest

You may not get a refund on tickets. I'd see if a cheaper room is available and go with your daughter.
I called and they said I have to call back on Monday during office hours to see if something can be worked out with the tickets. Overall I am not going to Orlando without my husband; the whole point was for me and my daughter to have fun in the parks while he worked and as a bonus stay at the Beach Club. I do hope that Disney can do something for us because it will be painful to lose out on the money we paid for those park tickets. Furthermore, his employer provided a special link to purchase the park tickets so I'm guessing other families may have purchased these tickets as well and I'm not the only one looking for a refund or credit, but I will know more on Monday.

We know some people whose school district just canceled several Disney trips for this week that involved hundreds of students and since it was booked through a travel company, they're still waiting to find out if they are going to be 100% reimbursed. Ridiculous really. Those kids fundraised and parents took vacation days, and the school district got paranoid and canceled at the last minute.

We are already booked for June and unless Disney itself shuts down, we are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter